Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Queen to Double bunk conversion

I've got a 28' Safari and want to convert the bedroom area from a queen to double bunks. Has anyone done this out there, if so, please point me to the thread.

I'd like to know the distance from the floor to the bottom of the Airstream Bunk that goes into many of the current models. That will give me an idea of where to place the upper bunk.

Hopefully someone will be looking for a queen bedroom set when I get the conversion finished.
Thanks!
PaulAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Any progress?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Should start in August.
I would like to sell the queen set so I don't have to store it, but selling it will probably take a while. I was also hoping that someone has blazed bunk conversion path already, but also no luck.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I modified my Classic 28 from crosswise queen to twin beds right here in Austin. I advertised the queen mattress on Craigslist just to get rid of it and found a taker in Marble Falls.

I was able to use most of the queen pedestal as material for the twin beds. I did not do upper bunks since there are just two of us seniors.

There are photos on my 2005 Classic thread, starting at about post 258. Note that I had Airstream install a long storage door on the curb side for access under that bed.

The twins are a great improvement over the original crosswise queen, both in sleeping comfort and in moving-around room.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Please note that in the preceding post I changed the starting post number to 258 from 298. Hard to read without my glasses!
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Thanks John for the link. I'm going to keep the queen set intact as I don't plan to re-use any of the materials. The queen set I have is a lengthwise setup. I plan on completing the twin/storage platform and flooring and then install the bunks.

Did you use cardboard to make patterns for the wood?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAir View Post
Did you use cardboard to make patterns for the wood?
Only for the head end of the twin beds that are in the curve of the rear end of the trailer. I actually used some of the corrugated plastic that is used for signs and the like.

The removed pedestal really has no value, but is a ready-made set of sides for the twins with matching finish. The drawer opening in the pedestal are ready-made to access the under-twin space. I used the front of the drawer and a set of hinges to access under the one twin.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
It Begins!

After 6 hours of removing things, I'm down to designing the details. Still a few things left to do before anything goes back in...
1) Remove trim pieces and move them to where the ceiling will end at the bedroom threshold.
2) Install new fantastic fan
3) repair all broken rivits and seal the floor holes and seam where the floor meets with AL.
4) remove all contact glue

The whole area will be prepared for painting with Multiceramic paint so the end result will be a sealed bedroom area. Since I've got things apart, I'm looking into replacing the toilet with a Nature's Head composting toilet. That way I can remove the current tank setup and replace with 2 increased capacity fresh and grey water tanks.

I had already removed the bathroom door and now took out the frame. I plan to replace with a similar tracked fabric door like the ones for the hallway divider. I don't have to duck to get in the bathroom now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	138026   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	138027  

Name:	Bathroom.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	138028   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	138029  

Name:	BathroomCeiling.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	138030  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
workmanship

I thought Airstream would pay a bit more attention given the price an all, but the amount of construction trash made me surprised. They could have at least taken a vaccume to the thing before putting down the carpet. When you put up carpet on the walls, you get to hide all the uglyness, so this is a peek under their skirt! They tape the seams!

Other areas where the AL come together, getting the lighting to be the same distance from the wall, trimming the AL around the windows, etc.
It seems they don't have the right tools to do the job right.

After seeing this, I would never buy a new one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wkmshp3.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	138033  
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Leak questions

I think there is a slight leak on the side trim near the wheel well. I'll probably pull off the exterior trim piece and caulk that seam again.

The other areas look like interior water damage, like putting wet items in the rear storage or in the old cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leak2.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	138036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak3.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	138037  

Name:	exterior.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	138038  
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Dimensions set

This week is getting the height and dimensions of the bunks in place.

Using 32" wide twin mattress dimensions, the bunks rails will sit 31" off the side on the floor. The curvature of the sides will give a 1.25 to 1.5" increase in width, so the mattress width will fit.

The bunk bottoms will be at 14" and 47" off the floor. The mattresses will sit on 1x1 poplar slats (idea from past futon bed designs where the poplar acts as the box springs). The mattress will be around 4.5" thick made of natural latex rubber.

Other dimensions:
New storage area: 30" deep x 94" wide. 16" high at the door and 14" to the sides. A few more square inches is always needed!
Under bed storage: 31" deep x 51" wide on each side. This affords 6 big tubs instead of only 4 with the queen arrangement.
"hallway" : 31"x31" area to walk around.

MultiCeramics paint was ordered (0 VOC) for the interior walls and floor.

Started on removing the contact cement for the carpet and head liner using goof off.

Since the bathroom is affected, Its going to be remodeled as well. I'm starting a separate thread for that work.

Parting work on the 12V light fixtures sitting against the vinyl... makes me think of fire hazzard! I had to pry the fixture off of the vinyl!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Layout.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	139107   Click image for larger version

Name:	layout1.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	139108  

Name:	LightBurn.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	139109  
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I removed one of my light fixtures and saw the same thing; [reflectors stuck to the vinyl] Now I'm afraid to leave a light on when no-one is home. Actually because of this, I only leave my oven vent light on.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Contributing Member

Your twin bed layout looks much like mine except that I left the carpet in place in mine. I used marker on masking tape stuck to the carpet to do my layout.

It was real fun determining the exact center of the trailer in mine since the bottoms of the two walls are not identical and the doorway is not centered. There is a sort of duct at the base of the wall on the street side in mine. I used the exact center of the rear window to locate center at the rear end. Further forward, I dropped a plumb line from the center of the Fantastic Fan and again from the center of the fan in the bathroom and ran a taut string. There was a slight disagreement between the two fans, so I split the difference and then rechecked from the belt rail to the string and found that it was just about perfect.

Once I had a true center, the rest was easy.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
It was real fun determining the exact center of the trailer in mine since the bottoms of the two walls are not identical and the doorway is not centered...
Good idea! I'll check centers using the window and fan reference and adjust from there. The plywood has seams that I "assume" are square and was using that to draw my lines. I haven't noticed anything that would make me think that things are not square, but I'm sure that as soon as you rise off the floor, measurements will be all over the place. I want to make sure that the beds have enough room. Since the cargo separator will go straight across, it should be easy to line up the bed rails. I'm assuming around a quarter inch tollerance on the beds.

I'm not a carpet fan, so I was more than happy to rip that stuff out. Natural lanoleum will cover the area and get sealed along the edges and cork floors for the "hallway".

I've separated out the bathroom remodel and that can be caught here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...del-81914.html
Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I removed one of my light fixtures and saw the same thing
Again, getting surprised at every corner. I plan to replace any lights that get removed with LEDs. For the rest of them, they will be unstuck and painted with the multiceramic paint that I'm using for the walls, water heater tank and bathroom.
That should make me comfortable with leaving the lights on if that solves the problem. I'll have to test one as the heat has to go somewhere...

Thinking some more, cuting the vinyl from behind the lights so the heat sinks into the skin could be another solution. It will probably be a slow process to replace all lights with LEDs given the cost.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Paul,

After talking with you in San Marcos, I now see what you are doing. Looks like you had some water entering somewhere. Check the roof vents for cracks as these are the main culprits.

Steve
Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Delays, Delays...

The neighbors complained that I can't have a trailer parked on my driveway (some people don't have enough to do, so they look around to cause trouble). Who'd a thunk that an Airstream is an eye sore? The nerve of some people...

Solution, city says get it behind 6' of fence, so ZING "POOF" (in 105 degree heat), convert side yard to the trailer's new home (with full hook ups) tucked behind a 6' fence.

Now back to the conversion...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a_NewHome.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	140219   Click image for larger version

Name:	b_ButtonedUp.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	140220  

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nice move Paul. Glad to see that the heat doesn't keep you from working hard and getting the job done.

Steve
Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Check out my pictures for the bunks we built in. We actually put triples on each side, with the middle bunks hinged so that the bottom bunks ( which are the original twins in our airstream ) can be used as seating, or as more traditional twins. The bunks turned out great!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Check out my pictures for the bunks we built in. We actually put triples on each side, with the middle bunks hinged so that the bottom bunks ( which are the original twins in our airstream ) can be used as seating, or as more traditional twins. The bunks turned out great!!!
Looks great! A little tight on head room, but with 7, what are you going to do? I'd hate to be the one on the air mattress! Makes it hard for the other 6 to get to the bathroom at night! I like the coleman cot idea also.

Still cleaning up from the driveway project and should be back at it this week.

Tags
2005, queen, safari, bunk bed