Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #1

Pullout SofaBed Question

We have a 27' 1974 Overlander and the screws that secure the sofa bed to the wall keep pulling out of the wall, and it seems as if they weren't properly anchored to the metal framing. Being a new Airstream owner I'm not sure how the framing is on that particular year. Would it be sufficient to use a toggle bolt to anchor this, or is there another way of doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00027.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	9200  
tgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgump
We have a 27' 1974 Overlander and the screws that secure the sofa bed to the wall keep pulling out of the wall, and it seems as if they weren't properly anchored to the metal framing. Being a new Airstream owner I'm not sure how the framing is on that particular year. Would it be sufficient to use a toggle bolt to anchor this, or is there another way of doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Todd
If a larger size but same length screw was used would that work?

If you do use toggles or anything else just make sure that the one you use is not so long as to hit the exterior skin.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've noticed the same thing since I started using the pull-out regularly. there just isn't much holding it down. when I first investigated, I thought this was some sort of mickey-moused retrofit...then I realized that there are no other holes anywhere, either in the couch framework or the wall...this is the way the factory did it. and its just not adequate for a big heavy lag screw. the thin interior skin is all it has to grip, (there's no "framing" involved, as far as I can see), and over time, the holes distort. I haven't thought of a "fix" yet...perhaps your idea of a toggle bolt of some sort will work.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
There is framing back there...

There is framing back there but I don't recall if the sofa is supposed to be fastened to it or not. Mine was pulled out on one end, I have the entire front end disassembled at the moment, I plan on riveting some thick pieces of aluminum behind the skin where it pulled out that last time. I might even tack weld a bolt onto the plate to keep it from happening again

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #5

Sofa Bed

There is plenty of room underneath right now, so I think I might try to design some sort of wood framing or box and mount it to the plywood floor. I'll design it so I can still have use for the storage drawers underneath. That way I won't disturb the interior skin. There just isn't enough strength or support there for us fat guys! That should help. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
There is framing back there but I don't recall if the sofa is supposed to be fastened to it or not. Mine was pulled out on one end, I have the entire front end disassembled at the moment, I plan on riveting some thick pieces of aluminum behind the skin where it pulled out that last time. I might even tack weld a bolt onto the plate to keep it from happening again

Aaron
tgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:43 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgump
We have a 27' 1974 Overlander and the screws that secure the sofa bed to the wall keep pulling out of the wall, and it seems as if they weren't properly anchored to the metal framing.

I have fixed the side bed in both of the coaches I owned that had one. The bracket that is attached to the inner wall is screwed into the inner skin. I normally add 2 self tapping screws thru the rear brace into each of the ribs that it crosses. The ribs will be at the rivet lines. This has been a permanent fix in each case.

If it is the front couch it is only attached at the corners. This is also a weak spot, there are no ribs. I have attached a wide strip of flat bent aluminum stock to the inner skin curved to match, with a bunch of rivets and then screwed into the plate. This spreads the strain and offers a better bite for the screws.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote