Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Prodex: does it work?

I have been looking at insulation for the inside of the trailer. I only have to do the bottom 3.5 feet as I didn't take the whole inside out. I was thinking of going with Prodex but decided agaist it because of price and R value. It seems to be more of a reflective insulation than a thermal one.

I figure you have aluminum on the outside and inside. Seems that a pretty good reflective to me.

Has anyone had good luck with this in cold weather, that they can notice the difference over their old insulation. I'm thinking of using 1.5 inch foam with foil reflective on one side. It cheaper than the closed cell stuff with the same R value. but if it really is that much better I might go with it..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Happy with it in my Caravanner.

Where I really noticed it working was while putting it in during the summer. Just a huge difference between the sections with Prodex and the ones with just bare skin.

We did the winter in ours in Washington state. I think it did as well as you can do with 1.5 inches of thickiness in the walls. Heat loss with our many windows was the big deal.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My advice is combine barrier insulation with radition barrier. Something like foam covered with aluminum. Stuff like RMAX. You can put radiation barrier over that if you like.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
I only have to do the bottom 3.5 feet as I didn't take the whole inside out.
You lucky so & so... or did the kids outvote you on disturbing the mousies?

How about Aerogel? 10mm thick by 60" x 45 feet only a mere $1000...

It's kinda true on the sheet aluminum already being reflective - its the zero-weight reflector of foil that keeps it shielding instead of storing heat and redistributing it. And its clean and bright, and with prodex its resistant to corrosion somehow - the pieces I cut for glass sun-shields on my truck have been kicking around loose for almost five years and the foam is dying before the foil.

Chunking in block foam is cool (or warm) - I'll probably use that on the roof. The problem with foams and a little less so for prodex is there is little sound attenuation - think guitar sounding box . That's something stuffing it full of fiberglass really helps with. Someone recently did a hybrid with fiberglass layered with something else. That looked pretty cool. I'm thinking prodex and foam for the roof and upper walls and fiberglass beneath the windows to keep things spoken inside the trailer when camped close to others, or at least better muffled.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
So I went with the R-Tech and here is why.

When looking at the Prodex I could not find a true R value for it. It is all listed in thermal R value with is a reflective value. Not the same as a true R value. Now I'm sure it has some true R value but I doubt it's 7.5 like the R Tech is. Fiberglass, which is 6.5 at it's very best, and probably a 4 originally is just so itchy. And with it being over 90 I didn't even want to mess with it.

I also figure it's and AS. It already reflects height, (from the inside and outside) and putting more reflective stuff inside that isn't as efficient. basically it's like putting a blanket in front of you foil car window reflector. it doesn't work as well anymore. Same with Prodex.

Then there is the cost, which was the biggest factor. That stuff is not cheap I was able to get all I needed in R tech for $65. It would have been well over $200 in Prodex to get it 1.5 inches deep like I did with the foam.

And last I like the fact that it is rigid. Seems to help support the skin. Although in the conners you have to cut it in strips to get it to the right shape, not to big a deal. Just had to get the shop vac out to clean up the mess afterwards.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
So I went with the R-Tech and here is why.

When looking at the Prodex I could not find a true R value for it. It is all listed in thermal R value with is a reflective value. Not the same as a true R value. Now I'm sure it has some true R value but I doubt it's 7.5 like the R Tech is. Fiberglass, which is 6.5 at it's very best, and probably a 4 originally is just so itchy. And with it being over 90 I didn't even want to mess with it.

I also figure it's and AS. It already reflects height, (from the inside and outside) and putting more reflective stuff inside that isn't as efficient. basically it's like putting a blanket in front of you foil car window reflector. it doesn't work as well anymore. Same with Prodex.

Then there is the cost, which was the biggest factor. That stuff is not cheap I was able to get all I needed in R tech for $65. It would have been well over $200 in Prodex to get it 1.5 inches deep like I did with the foam.

And last I like the fact that it is rigid. Seems to help support the skin. Although in the conners you have to cut it in strips to get it to the right shape, not to big a deal. Just had to get the shop vac out to clean up the mess afterwards.
Hi Purman
Did you have a chance to go camping in this very HOT summer? any reports on the insulation?
We are looking to do the same but to go with the Rtech all over...any inputs?
Regards
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep got some hot weather on the way to Oregon. Cool now. Not sure if it is any different. But hard to tell when just driving. Sound control is about the same. Keeps heat in pretty well at night.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT