Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

1977 23' Safari
Camarillo , California
Plastic Cut Outs for 1977 Safari

I'm dealing with the decade of plastic on a 1977 23' Safari that I'm refurbishing. I've basically gutted the inside and starting over using wood.

The four plastic cut outs around the kitchen window, two front side windows and the refrigerator duct are pretty beat up and cracked.

Does anyone know where I can locate new pieces or know of a substitute that is available?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
CASilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Hey Steve,
I own a 79 safari and I know your pain. My fridge duct was almost completely gone when I started my refurb. I chose to seal the cabinetry really well around the void that is behind the fridge so that the gas has no possible other way to escape than through the vent. I would advise around the windows to use an epoxy to fix, sand and paint. Good luck. Most of the original stuff in that year was cheaper than cheap luan and extruded alluminum. Better off building your own for sure. On a side note, I was able to keep the unique overhead compartments by adding some interior bracing in spots, and I am glad that I did. I just posted some pics on another thread if you want to check it out.
Thom
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote