Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Plans for twin to double bed?

Hi-

I have a '67 Safari with the twin bed configuration. I would like to change it to a double. Does anyone have plans for this?

Thanks,
Lee
silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Try This!

This may be a good place to start...
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_sofas.html
dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Thanks, this does look like a good place to start.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper
Hi-

I have a '67 Safari with the twin bed configuration. I would like to change it to a double. Does anyone have plans for this?

Thanks,
Lee
Welcome Lee:
Clarify your question by stating whether you are wanting to convert your front twins to a double gaucho like the streetside unit- (i.e.-permanently) or are you looking for a way to add a center piece between the twins to make a large bed?
Both require removing the dinette table from the wall. I am working on the same model right now and am about to design a removable center board that will stow when you want the dinette to come back. I had the identical Safari double and it would be more difficult to try to convert to that plan. I will post my r.& d. on this as soon as I get there which is within 2 weeks.
Study the floor plans of both models and you will see that the double has the frig.and side gaucho farther forward by the rear closet dimension -which is non-existant in the twin. I think if this works I can get a queensize plus bed out of the deal!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Murray,

We are on the same page. I was planning to place the table on a removable hinge and store it under the pullout bed. I was hoping that someone had the same idea. I can't wait to see what you've come up with.

Thanks Lee
Old 08-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I have a solution to turning the front dinette/twin beds on a 66-67 Safari to a QUEEN bed, not just a double!. I am not home this week so I can't send pictures but here's what I have done. It is a low tech solution, BTW. We don't have a table between the benches, it just wasn't there when we bought it. I think that the table may have been free standing and got lost. We do have the polypropylene fresh water tank that runs side to side, right up front. Over this and between the benches is a simple wooden box. Are we on the same page? If your setup doesn't look like this, my description may be a bit off. Here we go...

I cut a piece of 3/4" ply wood so that it just fits between the benches. Make it just the same length, minus ~1" as the gaucho, cause you're going to store it there. I round the corners and cut a hand hold in it. Next, cut two pieces of 3/4" ply about 2` long and make them as wide as the wooden box covering the water tank is tall. Now, the next bit is a little tricky: Cut a slot in each board, across the middle, halfway across, and 3/4" thick. I made the slots have angle edges, so that they form a more narrow cross, but its not easy and a little dangerous to cut on the table saw. Take your two smaller boards and insert the slots into each other so that the two boards form an X. Place this by your dinette, at the back end on the floor and lay the big board across the water tank and the X. Instant Queen size platform. (I'll get to where to store it in a minute).

Fill in the gap between the cushions with "Floor" pillows, or some other large cushions, then lay a queen size air bed on top. I recommend this one from REI. It's really thick, has a self contained pump and uses 12 VDC. I installed an accessory outlet where the cable TV outlet was above the fridge and we plug it in there. The mattress has a "reverse" gear that deflates it very quickly.

As you may have guessed you bed platform stores under the gaucho mattress. Your X frame members can slide between the dinette and the fridge or store in the closet.

We have used this set up for one trip so far and we love it. The bed is really comfy and big and sets up and takes down quickly. We use water bed sheets to make it quickly. If you want I will try to post pictures but won't have a chance until Thursday.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi John,

We seem to have the same setup. Thanks for the information and if you get around to it a picture or two would be great. I have the front end apart so now is a good time for change.
Lee
Old 08-23-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I'll try. I'm on travel for work then we go right to camping. I'll probably take some pics while out and then post them next week. Sorry for the delay.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Thanks John:
Sort of similar to the set up I had in mind. Look forward to some pics.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
I'll try. I'm on travel for work then we go right to camping. I'll probably take some pics while out and then post them next week. Sorry for the delay.

John
Hi John,

Did you get around to taking pictures of the queen bed setup in your Safari? I would like to see them if you have. Thanks Lee