Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Maybe I'll take the cat camping with us on this next trip
I'm proud to announce that Miss Lily, who at eight and being an indoor cat, had never caught a mouse before...scored her first in our backyard this weekend - while on her leash! We were out working on the trailers and I heard her calling out to me to "come see"...I thought she was wrapped up around something and went to see what she was yipping about. She was very proud of herself...I was relieved to know that we have one less mouse in the yard and was assured that there wouldn't be any in the trailers as long as she travels with us.I think she just wanted to play with it...she didn't eat it and seemed disappointed when it wasn't "playing" anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
That is entirely the wrong approach.

You should sit down and talk to him. Explain that the Airstream is your space and you don't appreciate what he did to the TP. Don't be emotional or judgmental. Just calmly tell him how you feel about it. Don't be surprised if you have to talk to him more than once, but I'm sure that soon he will understand and move out on his own. Hopefully not into mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you intend to trap the mice you should check with the local authorities as to just what your options are. In New Jersey we can not just arbitrarily kill pests. Here if your neighbors find out and they call the animal control you can be subject to a fine or imprisonment.

One 80+ year old man was sentenced to jail for killing rats.

But things are getting better because we can now have sunny side up eggs again in NJ.
That's our PC society for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Now what sort of mouse goes for the TP, but doesn't touch any of the food or garbage in the trailer?
A pregnant one!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Thumbs up Miss Lilly

Now that is news worthy - Congratulations Miss Lilly

Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Peanut butter on a sticky trap will do the job.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
That is entirely the wrong approach.

You should sit down and talk to him. Explain that the Airstream is your space and you don't appreciate what he did to the TP. Don't be emotional or judgmental. Just calmly tell him how you feel about it. Don't be surprised if you have to talk to him more than once, but I'm sure that soon he will understand and move out on his own. Hopefully not into mine.
And when your done talking Take the .22 and put a hole in him or her... Ok that might put a hole in the trailer but it would be satisfying... Pellet gun will work just fine...

NJ most be a pain... Here the game warden told me " if it's after your live stock or pets, just kill it and don't call me.."

Wished that applied to the deer rubbing my aspen trees... didn't get the wire around them in time...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have found a .357 Magnum helpful for squirrels. You don't want to just injure them and have them turn on you.

OK, my .22 got stolen.

Best of luck with the vermin. It's a constant battle. Just saw a mouse outside my Excella a couple of days ago.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Having picked up a "deal" on a '58 Silver Streak Chico that it turned out had mice in it I can only tell you that the peanut butter and a trap are absolutely a must and if not that a gun, and quickly. They ate through the wiring on the SS and had we plugged it in we'd of had a fire or electorcution issues. We ended up having to completely gut it as they got up into the walls and as soon as it got warm out the smell of their urine in the insulation was unbearable. Ended up selling it to my neighbors when we bought the Airstream and it took them 2 years to go through the trailer and redo everything. Had it not had mice when we got it we'd of had a neat little trailer.

You do not want meese in your trailer. Filthy little critters. Ever heard of hanta virus? Go here (What You Need To Know | CDC Hantaviruses)
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #21
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Natchez , Where the Old South Lives
Classy Mouse!

Obviously you can look at this two ways...........This is one Classy mouse to join the A/S Streamin' Club, a Stuart little of sorts fluffing his nest with your finest Ultra Soft Charmin. On the other hand he is a rodent and will do great damage then multiply and do more damage. I personally like these little sticky pads that they sell at Wally World you just set them out in a commonly used rat-path and the little critter gets stuck to the glue you can then just discard the whole thing in the garbage or if Stuart is suffering just go drown him in the toilet then discard in trash. If you want to be El-Naturall ....Just open all the doors and drawers inside and let the cat camp in the drive way a few nights.
NatchezBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Gas Him. Or Her

Hi, turn off all utilities in your trailer. Shut off all electric and gas. Then set-off a flea bomb right in the middle of your trailer's floor. In a few minutes or less you might see him/her escape and this could also show you how and where he/she got in. We put a stainless steel scub pad in both front frame ends, under the coupler. I read that this was a good easy entrance for Mickey Mouse to get into your trailer. We haven't had any yet and don't want any either.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Flea Bomb? I didn't know such a thing existed. Wow, don't let the fine folks at Home Land Security hear you talking about those things or they'll be on you like a fly on, umm, well, you know. That stuff.

Being able to see if it is just one is also handy. Are there any downsides to using the flea bomb? Long term smell, possibility of stains, etc? This is a new one on me.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Where??

We just squirted some of the yellow "volcanic" stuff into the spot on our Excella where the wires come in (behind the couch). But we're not sure where you mean "in both front frame ends, under the coupler." ?? We'll be parking in a farm yard during October and sure don't need "visitors"... Micky OR Minnie!!

Phil & Edee
Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Flea Bomb? I didn't know such a thing existed. Wow, don't let the fine folks at Home Land Security hear you talking about those things or they'll be on you like a fly on, umm, well, you know. That stuff.

Being able to see if it is just one is also handy. Are there any downsides to using the flea bomb? Long term smell, possibility of stains, etc? This is a new one on me.

Thanks,
Barry
Hi, Barry. The smell from the flea bomb goes away pretty quick and if you don't put it directly on wood furniture or cloth bed spreads Etc. you won't have a problem. That's why I said put it on the floor. [vinyl] Or put it on old news papers Etc. People who use way too many bombs in their house, like fifteen, and leave gas pilot lights on, blow up their houses. Airstream owners are smarter than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee View Post
We just squirted some of the yellow "volcanic" stuff into the spot on our Excella where the wires come in (behind the couch). But we're not sure where you mean "in both front frame ends, under the coupler." ?? We'll be parking in a farm yard during October and sure don't need "visitors"... Micky OR Minnie!!

Phil & Edee
Hi, Phil & Edee. If you lay on your back, under your trailer tongue, you can see the end of the frame rails. They are open, like the size of a two by four. And it has been mentioned that Mickey Mouse climbs up your chains and enters your frame from this area. This leads them into the belly pan where they can find small openings where plumbing and wiring is run through the floor to the inside of your trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Insideout,
You need to let "Miss Lilly" off the leash now and then. Cats love being outdoors and finding critters like mice. Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. If they do go outside you have to give them some tapeworm meds once in awhile.
There is a stray cat that roams around our back yard from time to time. I was going to get rid of him until I realized I wasn't seeing any rodents in our garage anymore. I used to catch two or three mice per month in the garage.

A few years back we had a stray around the house which was what we called "our front porch cat". I put a little house out on the porch and she continually patrolled the yard for mice etc.... We had her spayed so we didn't have kitten problems. Our front porch cat stayed with us for a few years. She would let you pet her every once in awhile but she wanted nothing to do with coming in the house.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Insideout,
You need to let "Miss Lilly" off the leash now and then. Cats love being outdoors and finding critters like mice. Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat.
She does go out just about every day, at least as weather permits. However, it's always on her leash which is actually a nylon rope about 25-30 feet long. We hook her up to the patio and let her roam...always supervised by not being out in the yard my herself, but she's not "controlled" by being attached to us by a short "normal" leash. Her favorite "hunts" are normally crickets & other bugs...this was just her first mouse.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
She does go out just about every day, at least as weather permits. However, it's always on her leash which is actually a nylon rope about 25-30 feet long. We hook her up to the patio and let her roam...always supervised by not being out in the yard my herself, but she's not "controlled" by being attached to us by a short "normal" leash. Her favorite "hunts" are normally crickets & other bugs...this was just her first mouse.

Shari
Smokey Bear and one of us does the yard tour at least a couple of times a day weather permitting much like you and Miss Lilly do Shari. The cat loves it but he won't go out without one of us with him. He'll sit on the deck and impatiently wait till we get our shoes and coat on and join him. He gets his catnip to roll in and eat, then the tour which typically eliminates a few bugs (grasshoppers being a fav), now and then a bit of play with a garter snake as they head for the brush, and his mouse. We still can't believe he caught it. When our other cat was alive she was on them like you'd expect but not Smokey the weenie bear cat. Oh well, I'm afraid if I loaned him to Steph for her trailer he'd probably find a nice warm spot in the sun to curl up with the mouse. I keep telling Donna we need to send him to cat school so he knows what his job really is. Traps work really well though, and peanut butter in particular. I read I thought here of a person who set a trap thinking they had a mouse and they ended up with a whole herd of the little critters caught.

Barry