Old 05-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Got the doors finished and hung. Used the existing piano hinges with some small stainless screws into the solid cherry edges. Mounted the trim strips on the aluminum so it was proud of the doors front by about 1/4" for some visual effect. I had bought some surface mount cabinet latches that looked good online but when they came in the mail I really didn't care for them, looked and more importantly felt very cheap and flimsy.

Walking around Lowes the other day for inspiration I came upon the idea that I could emulate how a typical cabinet lock works, a rotating bar that holds the door closed. 3 nice looking knobs, some extra long screws and some nuts and washers and it works fairly well. I did have to extend out the raised surface a bit so the knob wouldn't sit too far in. Pix tell the story. One more horizontal piece and I'm calling it quits for a bit so we can get this thing back on the road. I'll do the upper cabinets on both sides when I have some down time this summer. Also need to sand down the parquet floor and refinish, I may tackle that in the next two weeks before we take her out.

The home made latch:

Closeup:

Still need to do something with the top drawer and install a skinny sheet of aluminum for the front of the toe kick, but the handles are all done. Also going to hit up walmart or lowes for some metal racking to install on the back of the doors for some extra storage of pot lids, etc.

Thanks for looking.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #44
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nice work! It will look quite a bit more modern when you are finished.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Looks very nice! Ikea has some pot lid holders that mount on walls or doors. We use one in the house.

Kay
Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Aquinob

Very nice job. Particularly like how you added the extra 1/2 circle of wood to the cabinets doors under pull handle and the vented lower cabinet metal.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks. The metal grating I saw in HD and then had the idea of using it for the furnace opening. The half circles was a "Homage" to the rounded edges on the trailer.

Spent the last two days sanding down the parquet and just finished laying down a second coat of varnish, no pix of that process. It's not killing me the way it looks so this may be its last season in the trailer. I may pull it up for "Phase 3" when the guacho will make it's exit and put down some type of strip flooring or maybe cork.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Just a fantastic job, Bob!

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks Lucky Dave. Just doing some cleanup right now. A few pix of the newly varnished floor.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Bob,
I am adding drawers to my '67 Safari and am stuck on the drawer slides. i had been thinking to use side mounted slides but your rear mounted slides may work better.

What slides did you use and where did you get them from?

Nice work on the cabinets. I am figuring this stuff out for the first time. It's a bit daunting....

Thanks, John H
Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
John
Those are just standard side mounted slides picked up at Lowes. In order to use them, you need some sort of structure on both sides to mount them to and the opening has to be 1/2" larger on either side (1" total) than the width of the drawer box. A downside to these slides is that the don't lock the drawers so I'm going to have to come up with a mod for that so they dont slide open when the rig is moving.

I've done my own cabinetry for a while now, so working on the trailer isn't that big a deal, but keep in mind that nothing is really square so that will add a layer of complexity to all your layouts and measurements. Take your time and don't get upset if it doesn't come out exactly like you had hoped for. There are lots of little mistakes that only I can see, other folks generally never see them which is true for most woodworkers and their work. And thanks for the kind words.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
About the area above the top drawer in the cabinets, have you considered a pull-out chopping block?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
About the area above the top drawer in the cabinets, have you considered a pull-out chopping block?
That was the original idea. I have a bottom mount slide that I can only get to pull out about 6-7", something seems to be hanging it up. I installed the slide when I put the whole face frame assembly in and to get at the screw that is holding it down I'd have to disassemble the whole front assembly. That has been the holdup and at this stage I really dont want to do that. The joys of designing and building as you go, sometimes things don't always work out.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #54
Kei
Hope

1971 23' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
Bob, It's very inspiring to view your blog from the beginning to the present and realize there is light at the end of the tunnel. Great job with your cabinets!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The top drawer slides not fully extending - sound like a good place for a drawer-face and shallow tray on slides to hold sundry items?

We set our Summer Kitchen sink in a cabinet requiring cutting down a full size drawer to a 4" x 3" x 20" drawer instead of a flip-down scrubby holder hiding behind the drawer face - bet you could get a six or eight inch tray of sorts going there...

Oh - very nice job on the FW fill & vent... Now that you have it sized & located go finish it w/ buck rivets, errrr.... I mean very nice job w/ fit and finish all around just as it is!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Inspirational Thread!

Great job, Bob.

On the new floor - I actually installed the exact parquet you currently have in the '78 31' Sovereign. When I started on the trailer the 5/8" original floor was a bit "bouncy" all over. I covered all of the floor with a " better" 3/16" plywood glued and screwed to the original flooring. You may consider doing the same over the parquet - getting the old parquet up after all these years would be an exercise in frustration.

Your finish work with the Cherry ply is superb.

I categorically hope to meet up with you at some function in the future. My current contract work is coming to an end one way or the other - I WILL NOT miss the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year - more travel and quests are planned following the New Mexico adventure.

I sincerely expect that your usage of the trailer meets or exceeds the nights and miles which I have enjoyed in mine since it became road worthy.

Not only have you accomplished a great journey getting to where you are now, but in the future you and your family will have years of benefits from an American classic that you have made "yours".

Meet you down the road.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote