Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

partial removal & replacement of sub flooring

I'm a first time owner of a 1962 globetrotter who has never repaired much of anything. I have found several areas of rot (actual holes) that need repair. First question is how do you remove the pad that is glued to the linoleum tile and the tile other than chiseling it out. Second, how do you remove the affected subflooring and third, how do you attach the new sub flooring to the frame members. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks B

Old 08-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Suggestion ...

B Stover,

Welcome & congratulations on the GT acquisition.

My first suggestion is to use a heat gun or hair dryer. I know that the 'rock-hard' tiles in my '65, when set in the sun for a few minutes, turned into an imitation of a Salvador Dali style 'Limp Tile'.

My tiles came out using a wide putty knife, driven in under each tile square (without heat).

For you other queries, try the search tool (& advanced search) at the top of each page. I'm sure you will find more than you want to know about floor repair & replacement.

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Norm:
Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid my tiles are seriously glued down as even chiseling them out is laborious. I will try some heat.
B
Old 08-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
B, make sure and really read thru the forum threads on floor replacement. That wood underneath the tiles is all you got and it's part of the structure. Just make sure you know what you're in for before you start tearing out the plywood floor.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Stover
Norm:
Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid my tiles are seriously glued down as even chiseling them out is laborious. I will try some heat.
B
Old 08-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Plywood patches might be all you need...

If the sizes of the rotted areas are relatively small you can cut out the rotted areas and put in a plywood patch that fits the hole. You can use strips of plywood underneath the joint between the patch and the rest of the floor. Go for something like 3 or 4 inches wide for the strips. Attach them to the main body of the floor with glue and decking screws from above. Clamps can help hold the strips in place while you put the screws in place. Attach the patch to the strips with glue and screws as well. You can fill the crack with something like Fixall and sand it to get an even surface for putting your flooring tiles back in. This techniques should work fine for fairly large areas too but your techniques would need to be a bit different around the edges of the floor. Are the places that need repair in the middle of the floor or are they at the edges?

If there is a lot more rot than expected you may have to do a full floor replacement which is, of course, a lot more work. Check out my posting #3 in the following thread for some more pointers to techniques I used for full floor replacement.

http://www.airforums.com/foru...ead.php?t=15492

Hopefully you can get away with just localized patches.

I hope this helps,

Malcolm
Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Malcolm,

my areas are localized at the door and curbside in the rear where I believe the water heater was located and they are at the edges. Of course I have yet to check under the blackwater tank and shower area.

B
Old 08-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Patches at the edges are a bit more complicated for a couple of reasons.

For one thing the plywood attaches underneath the edge of the body. I may be difficult to get the old plywood out and attach the new piece in without removing the lower row of inner skin. The floor is attached from inside the walls.
Also there is potentially a structural issue with replacing pieces of plywood at only the edges. The plywood as a whole helps support the body around the edges of the AS. If you put in a patch that has a joint to close to the side of the wall the strength of the floor and its ability to support the wall in that area would be reduced somewhat.

Please keep us posted on what you find out as to the extent of the damage.

Malcolm