Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Redondo Beach , California
Painting the sticky vinyl-covered walls

After many hours looking at various threads, getting lost and sidetracked, I need some direction. My yellow, dingy vinyl walls are gross, and I had thought I would simply paint them. Research here shows that many have tried many products and techniques with varying levels of success.

Isn't there yet a tried and true way of doing it right? I don't mind spending the extra time and money buying the right products... My cabinets are out and I aim to paint this weekend. Hopefully the right way.

Any insight/help (or a thread I may have missed) would be great.

Thanks!
BenHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We had the same problem and solved it beautifully with a product called Krylon fusion. The thread is in the 1986 Excella section titled something about a two bedroom bunkhouse. I can try to link it if you can't find it. Fusion chemically bonds to the vinyl-- it is NOT regular paint.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHud View Post
After many hours looking at various threads, getting lost and sidetracked, I need some direction. My yellow, dingy vinyl walls are gross, and I had thought I would simply paint them. Research here shows that many have tried many products and techniques with varying levels of success.

Isn't there yet a tried and true way of doing it right? I don't mind spending the extra time and money buying the right products... My cabinets are out and I aim to paint this weekend. Hopefully the right way.

Any insight/help (or a thread I may have missed) would be great.

Thanks!
After you degrease or de-nicotine the vinyl, then sand it with 120 to 150 grit sandpaper.

Sand it not scuff it.

That will properly prepare the surface for a primer paint, which you must do before a regular paint.

Then and only then will you have a good interior paint job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Actually if you read the directions for fusion, it does not require a primer. In fact, since it chemically bonds they do not recommend a primer. After cleaning thoroughly with an ammonia-based cleaner you are ready for fusion. It works great on ABS as well, like your shower. We love how "factory" the vinyl walls and ceiling look now, right down to the slightly cross-hatched finish- it does not look or feel painted. It looks and feels like new vinyl. It's great stuff. Just follow the directions to the letter. It's not forgiving if you don't! Friends of ours introduced us to Krylon fusion after full timing for a couple of years after using fusion on their shower pan and sink. (Which still looks perfect.) we were sold! We used it on our last Airstream as well. Several friends have used it too.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Also, if you don't want to use Krylon fusion, we recommend a primer called BullDog Adhesion Promoter from NAPA. (My husband Rob paints vehicles too) and you can topcoat that with any automotive paint. It's good stuff too. Before using Bulldog, clean the vinyl thoroughly with Bulldog abrasive cleaner and rinse thoroughly and allow it to dry. Bulldog is great but it is not sold to the public usually. It's our second choice after Krylon fusion though. It's much more expensive (about thirty bucks a quart) and still needs to be topics yes with paint. Krylon Fusion is still our favorite.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Redondo Beach , California
Wow, Fusion looks like it may be the way to go! Now it's just about calculating how many cans to buy....
BenHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Well we used 45 in our 32 footer! But that was still much cheaper than bulldog adhesion promoter and automotive paint.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Industrial Imron 3500 HG would be cheaper than all of those cans.

It will brush on and flow out very nice.

I get it for about $135 per gallon with activator. (Walk in price would probably be about $200 a gallon) I would expect that it would take less than a single gallon to cover the inside of an Airstream with a brush, half that with spray. It covers amazingly well and is simply beautiful and very durable.

Of course as Andy said, the surface should be clean and sanded.

I wouldn't spray this without a booth and safety equipment, but I would brush it on with decent ventilation.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote