Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Painting raw aluminum

I tried searching for this, and I don't know if it's just me, but the search function does not function! Anyway as part of our interior restoration, we replaced some of the interior panels with new aluminum. My question is, do we need to do any special preparation such as ruffing or etching the surface before we apply the primer coat to the metal? As always, I look forward to a knowledgeable answer from the forum!

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you were doing the outside, I would recommend you etch and use an aluminum primer, but. . .

Since it's inside, I would try a direct-to-metal tintable acrylic primer such as Devoe "DevFlex PF" You can get it in flat or semigloss. Sure is a lot easier than going through the whole etching process.

Should be available at any dealer who carries ICI & Glidden products.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I have had best results when i gave the surface a quick sanding and wipe down with prep solvent,just before primeing.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
A mono layer (a layer one atom thick) of aluminum oxide forms on the surface of freshly exposed aluminum at standard temp/pressure in about an hour. The oxide layer is what causes most coatings to fail since the coating is adhered to the oxide layer rather than the metal. Once the aluminum is exposed you have to go into turbo mode to seal it off from the oxygen in the air to stop the oxide formation.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
I have had best results when i gave the surface a quick sanding and wipe down with prep solvent,just before priming.

I agree....Why treat aluminum any different than any other metal when it comes to painting. I would sand with 600 wet-or-dry paper, metal prep, prime and paint. If you don't give the metal a "tooth", the primer will not bond. I believe that is why the clear coat on the outside goes away in such a short time.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for the tips. I sanded down a test section, used a pre-cleaner and applied the primer (BTW- A special Low-VOC metal primer) with great success. Onward!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
PS- Finally found this link to a previous thread, but only by searching Google, not the Forum. From previous experience the Google search is much more likely to produce results on the Forum than the Forum search is. Am I doing something wrong??!!???

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ior-44433.html