Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Painting over Krylon Fusion?

Quick interior painting question. We have plastic end caps and after loads of research I see Krylon Fusion is the way to go in plastic. We are wanting to paint the entire interior a light gray can we use the KF as a base coat to adhere to the plastic then use our gray as a finish coat? Just curious! Thanks.

NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I believe that Krylon Fusion is an acrylic paint, so you could use it as a base coat for other acrylic paints, but not for latex, enamel, or alkyd paints. The key to getting good adhesion between a base/primer coat and subsequent coats is that the solvents in the subsequent coats have to be the same as the solvents in the base coat.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I haven't had the best luck with Krylon Fusion.

Some years ago I built a tag-along luggage trailer for our motorcyle and I used a brand new cartop storage box for this project.

I sprayed it black after carefully following the Krylon instructions - this was years ago, and I now forget the details, but I recall I had to wash it well to remove any traces of oil from the manufacturing process.

I think I also roughed the surface slightly to give it more tooth" to encourage adhesion.

in any event, adhesion was not at all good and the paint easily comes off.

We don't use the trailer a lot, but every time we do, there are areas I have to touch up for this reason. The trailer does stay outdoors year round so probably that doesn't help.

Could well be to do with the type of plastic used in the cartop box. I'm not sure what it is - possibly ABS.

I remember when I first bought the Krylon Fusion paint, the spray cans had the wording "Works on all types of plastic."

A year or so later, the cans then on the shelf read "Works on most kinds of plastic!" Hmmm!

I had called them about my problem without any helpful solution being offered, perhaps many others had called also!

Hope it works ok for you. Perhaps others have used it successfully for the purpose you intend.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Paintung over Krylon Fusion?

IMHO there is no kind of unactivated paint that is going to be truly durable especially in the elements, although some enamels that don't come from a spray can are closer.

Superat stultitia.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
1992 25' Excella
Puyallup , Washington
We painted our '92 Excella interior (plastic endcaps and all) with KF after thoroughly cleaning 2 years ago, with excellent results and still looks as good now. Did not prime before applying our chosen color and the Krylon covered very well.
Nurvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I found another product from Rustoleum that is a plastic primer that I am doing a little more research on. I will keep everyone posted on the progress. Thanks again.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
You might also use an adhesion promoter

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote