Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Painting interior walls, trim

Just starting the renovation on my 1978 Safari and am trying to figure out how to get better color in the interior. Anyone had experience in painting the aluminum walls, plastic trim pieces, and tambour doors? I want to get a white and silver look going on the inside and have to get rid of the off white and discolored plastic color.
Thanks!!
jkrauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

hermiston , Oregon
Take a look at my Avion, I have began painting. Not the walls because i am unsure. But i think it's beginning to look awesome!! I lightly sanded and primed with kiltz primer and then used an Enamel paint by Behr. Enamel is hard to work with, drys fast. In the end it drys with a hardener and will not chip or peel off. It's similar to car paint.
longhorn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
A number of people in the forum here have been sucessfull with painting their interior walls. What I did was to thoroughly scrub my walls, prim with a shelac based primer (I happen to have used B.I.N. but Kilz is similar) and then finished off with a couple of coats of Behr latex interior house paint with a satin finish. Things seem to have stuck just fine. For some silly reason it did not even occur to me to lightly sand first which does seem like a good idea. I used a soft gray color by the way.

I am in the process of painting our house. I discovered that Behr paint (Sold at Home Depot) has a new product called Premium Plus Ultra that acts as both primer and finish coat in one paint. The information says that it will stick to many different types of surfaces including metal and vinyl. Perhaps it would be a good choice to consider. Sherwin Williams also offeres a paint that is called Duration I think that offers similar features but is definitely more expensive.

Malcolm
Old 10-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
It's always a good practice to use a primer as a base coat. The product that has both primer & finish is a shortcut. Your labor is what takes the longest, the old saying There is never enought time to do it right - but always enought time to do it over. Also light sand before prime coat & light sand before the finish, remove all sanding dust each time. Malcom the B.I.N. primer is a good choice, i do prefer an oil base primer. Always use a top of the line coating, the end result will be much better and last longer, don't waste your time on the cheap stuff. Good luck give us an update
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
you may also want to have the paint store tint your primer color to the final color of paint,think of it as a labor saver. .....make sense ?
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

hermiston , Oregon
you may also want to have the paint store tint your primer color to the final color of paint,think of it as a labor saver. .....make sense ?

Oh heck yes this is the way to go especially when you choose darker colors!!!!! Thanks for all the input.......I think I'll now paint the Avions walls...Now to fill old screw holes and push the perforated metal back in, How??? Bondo?? Any type of puddy to fill in a few holes??
longhorn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Krylon Fusion

I used Krylon Fusion for the ABS end caps and the white overhead tambours in the galley and it turned out great! (see post http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...tml#post228662 ). It's been over 3 years, and no peeling or discoloration... looks like new! Krylon Fusion bonds with the plastic (ABS) and doesn't require any primer. Hope this helps.

Curt
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Rivet Interior refurbishing 1958 Flying Cloud

I just finished about a 500 hour refurbishing of our Fling Cloud. I removed the beds and goucho and sanded the old brown house paint down to the original greenish Zolatone. Then I primed the walls with Kilz, tinted to a light greenish blue. After that I used a two color (tan and white) Rustoleum splatter paint in cans.

The process allowed me to spray sections at a time with no problem blending between work time. The light green provide the third color and the overall effect looks like much like the original Zolatone with a bit more texture.

Preparation is key to a good final result. My work on the walls befor paint was about 40 hours. I lost track of the time masking windows, curtain tracks, etc.

After the walls were finished I used the front area as a work space to refinished the woodwork doors, drawers, beds and gaucho. If anyone would like photos let me know and I can email them to you.

Dick Deam
DeamArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Over the vinyl covering you might trying gripper primer. Can get it at lowes and probably home depot. It is designed to stick to all types of plastic, vinyl, metal etc, basically any smooth clean surface. Goes on with typical home painting supplies (rollers, brushes etc). We used that 3 years ago on our 69 and it has held up very well.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Thanks, I definitely will check it out.