Old 10-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Boy do I know that one - I got sooooo tired of tearing things up (don't get me wrong - I can tear things up pretty good ) It is much more fun putting new stuff in. I'm really looking forward to getting things buttoned up and start working above the ground. That won't be till next May or so - winter/cold weather is here - so last night I made my list of what to do over the winter - I'll be building cabinets, replacing screens - things I can do in cold weather.

Ken

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Hammerite on my frame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
But.
Any of you guys looked at using hammerite paint? See it here:
http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44
Especially look at the silver gray color...... seems to me it would make a dynamite interior look.... hmmmmmm

Elizabeth in Iowa
I used hammerite paint in a silver gray to paint my frame. It has not been long enough to tell about the long term durability but it does look good. It is pretty nasty stuff fumes wise though. Definitely you need to use an appropriate mask - especially if you are spraying it like I did.

Malcolm

Old 02-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #31
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Clear something up for me....

I've spent a lot of time reading achived stuff lately as we are trying to restore a '73 Overlander. We are going to need to paint the interior (I think, if we ever get it completly apart and CLEAN, it's really NASTY).

This camper has the Vinyl Clad alum interior walls. So here's the question....

1) Can Zolatone be used on the Vinyl or is Zolatone to be used only on alum without the vinyl????

2) Should we ONLY use a quality latex on the vinyl clad alum???

As usual, I appreciate any advice!!!

Jim
Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Zolatone can be applied over the vinyl clad panels, however it will only adhere as well as the vinyl itself. So if you have bubbles, tears or loose spots, they will remain. You will need to clean and prime it per the manufacturer's recommendation. Also, if your vinyl has a heavy texture, it may read through, a light texture will probably be concealed as the Zolatone has a slightly textured finish and is thicker than a single coat of ordinary paint.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I am planning to paint mine...

Jim,

I have finally started putting my inner skins back on. I found out that it is pretty easy to clean them before I re-install rather than later. I am using an industrial strength cleaner/degreaser and a small size scrubbing buffer to great advantage. Of course if yours are still in place then you need to clean them in place.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to use a good grade of latex paint on mine. Several people in the threads have reported good results with this. I think I am going to use a good primer coat first. I think that I will use a semi-gloss so it will be easy to keep clean. It seems to me that clean vinyl should make a good base. I also personally think that a good grade of latex should hold up plenty well enough. It would not be all that hard to repaint some time in the future.

As an alternative to the latex the other option that I am considering is to use Krylon Fusion spray paint. This Krylon product is especially formulated for sticking to plastic. The main disadvantage to using spray is the extra time needed to mask everything off.

Good luck on your remodel whichever way you decide to go...

Malcolm
Old 02-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Malcolm

Are you going to spray, brush or roll it? Seems like you could get a pretty cheap wagner sprayer..... what do you think?

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Ken,

I havn't decided how I will apply the paint yet. I do have a couple of spray options available to me though if I decide to do that. I have an airless sprayer that I could use. I also have a small spray gun that works with my air-compressor that could be an option. I would suppose that the airless would be a better option for the thicker latex. The spray gun would be better if I used something like Krylon. I don't know for sure if it comes in a regular can instead of a spray can though.

I do think it would be fine to use a roller and brush for cutting in though - just like painting a room in your house. I would think that a good grade of semi-gloss latex would flow smooth enough - espcially given the fact that there is a texture on the vinyl anyway. I will probably make my decision after I decide if I am going to do everthing in one color or more than on. I don't really want to fire up the airless if I am going to have to keep changing colors for such small areas.

Malcolm
Old 02-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Malcolm

Not sure about Krylon, but I know rustoleum comes in cans and I've known several who have painted interiors with it.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 05-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
We have a '75 Excella 500. My hunch is that it has the original vinyl covered interior which is in very good shape. No bubbles, no peeling, etc.

I have 2 questions. 1). Is this actually vinyl? 2). What should I paint it with, if all we want to do is change the color?

Thanks a bunch.

Mitch
Old 05-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

swanny,

I just got through painting ours. First I scrubbed the walls down, then I put a good primer on. You might want to lightly sand the walls first, to make sure of a good adhesion. Goo gone also gets rid of the sticky feeling. I put two coats of kilz brand paint in semi gloss. It looks great. I am going to have to take pictures and post. I also put a coat of future floor wax on a space that is behind where the fridge is supposed to be. It's as smooth as glass. So, I will most likely put a coat over all of it. We also painted the plastic piece in the ffront and it did good also. Good luck
Dawn