Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Painting info for 70's wood grain panels

We are currently modernizing the interior of our 73.

We like the black panels in the new 25' Internationals... Airstream :: International CCD

I have been experimenting with a translucent coating, Sikkens Cetol 1, 020 Ebony but it takes about 6 coats to get the desired effect. This coating does let the grain pattern show through which gives it the high quality pro look.

Has anyone been successful at duplicating the new finish of the new Airstreams.

thnxs
Old 02-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings-

The black CCD interior panels are not wood but Formica. Lowes has a great selection they special order from.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Thank you R & S

I've having a problem with what to do with he faux wood paneling in mine. First was new bulk heads and replace with burl, or shop around for leather now on to Lowes to pick out a pattern. THANK YOU
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287
I've having a problem with what to do with he faux wood paneling in mine. First was new bulk heads and replace with burl, or shop around for leather now on to Lowes to pick out a pattern. THANK YOU
If you are going to completly replace your bulkheads I would suggest using birch plywood if you are looking for that natual wood look. It comes on 3/8" and 5/8" with real birch veneer on both sides. Cuts really well and stains up nicely. Then you can use the glue on edge strips which go one with a regular iron and sand and stain the same as the face side.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I was hoping to just coat the existing panels with an appropriate product to "get the look". I guess replacing would be a 2nd choice.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Then I would investigate laminating a formica over the existing areas. Not expensive and not to hard to do once you have a little practice!

Let us know how you make out!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I can't imagine doing formice in place on the bulkhead or panels.

I would think you need to take them out to layup formica themn what about the weight?

I would just replace the panels with 1/4 or what ever thinkness was there, I redid my whole trailer it took 5 sheets of cherry veneer ply.

Just take the old one out use it as template and 15 min you're done with one.

It can be found in about 10 different types of wood grain, about $60 a sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed7.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	31697  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I faux painted mine

Unless you're going to go total wood, just replacing the bulkheads with plywood still leaves all the icky fake walnut under the cabinets etc. My major remodel is almost complete. First I had a cabinet maker make a dinette. My son welded a frame for a bed/couch in the front. We used it once on a 5500 mile maiden voyage and I decided the tambours had to go. I ripped out the center bulkhead to open up the trailer more. I ripped out the tambours and had the cabinet maker make frames to fit over the existing cabinets. I faux painted the rest of the fake walnut a light beigy color. It really lightened things up, particularly the way the light now reflects off the bottoms of the cabinets. I hope to have a whole bunch of pictures by next week. For now, here's what the back bulkhead looks like with the new birch overhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	painted bulkhead.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	31701  
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
I was hoping to just coat the existing panels with an appropriate product to "get the look". I guess replacing would be a 2nd choice.
Road Ruler... I have a 1974 Tradewind and all of the cabinets, bulkheads etc are made from something that has pictures of wood grain on it. (what were they thinking in the '70's!?) Is that what you are referring to? I have also hoped to find a way to paint it and still be able to see the 'wood grain'. I actually have a piece of the panel in my truck right now hoping to find help from someone in a paint store. I thought some kind of wash or tint would work.

I understand that all of this could be replaced, or covered. I am doing that in the kitchen area buy ripping out the existing cabinets and having new ones built from birch ply. It is the wallet that keeps me from doing the whole trailer at once and I thought an interim solution in the 'bedroom' area would be to paint. Please let me know if you figure this out and I will do the same... Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
I can't imagine doing formica in place on the bulkhead or panels.
Sorry for the confusion; the Formica would not replace, it would need to be laminated to the existing piece. Quite simple actually. Remove existing piece and lightly sand, size cut your Formica to fit the original piece with 1" to 2" overlap. Apply contact cement to both surfaces, wait as per instructions then laminate both pieces together with a roller. Then simply take a router with a Formica bit and trim away the excess. As far as weight, hardly any added.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I tried everything to give a "washed" look that was different from the fake walnut. In a place behind where I knew I was going to build the dinette I experimented with stains, washes of color, paint diluted with glazes, everything. All of them looked stupid and just as fake and stupid as the fake wood. Since the 70s fake wood is really, as Pamelake said, a picture of wood on a flat surface there is really no way to pull the grain like with a real piece of wood. That's why I gave up and painted it. To achieve the effect in the picture with my previous post, I laid down 3 very thin coats of Sherwin-Williams Bonding primer. Then I rolled on Sherwin-Williams color, "spun-sugar". I let that dry 24 hours and then I mixed the next color up from "spun sugar", "warming peach" 2 to one with glaze and dabbed it on with a sea sponge. Because the panels are sooooo flat you have to have something to give it depth. Once the sponged on color was dry I used translucent opal glaze over the top to reflect light. I think another way to faux paint those panels would be to use a a lime wash over a color to add some texture to it.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
I tried everything to give a "washed" look that was different from the fake walnut. In a place behind where I knew I was going to build the dinette I experimented with stains, washes of color, paint diluted with glazes, everything. All of them looked stupid and just as fake and stupid as the fake wood. Since the 70s fake wood is really, as Pamelake said, a picture of wood on a flat surface there is really no way to pull the grain like with a real piece of wood. That's why I gave up and painted it. To achieve the effect in the picture with my previous post, I laid down 3 very thin coats of Sherwin-Williams Bonding primer. Then I rolled on Sherwin-Williams color, "spun-sugar". I let that dry 24 hours and then I mixed the next color up from "spun sugar", "warming peach" 2 to one with glaze and dabbed it on with a sea sponge. Because the panels are sooooo flat you have to have something to give it depth. Once the sponged on color was dry I used translucent opal glaze over the top to reflect light. I think another way to faux paint those panels would be to use a a lime wash over a color to add some texture to it.

Now that is what I call a labor of LOVE!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Rick, I think he meant affixing formica laminate to the bulkheads without removing them first..."IN place". If you're gonna take 'em out, you might as well just cut new pieces from some nice cabinet-grade ply. . way less work...even less than umpteen layers of paint. yikes.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so how hard is it to pull out the bulkheads
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That all depends on which one?

It can be attached to a few or many things.

But was the attached items are off it just a few rivets.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Blu Hyw Lady! I think you just saved me a lot of work! I can't wait until you post some more pictures.... Thanks, Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
You're most welcome Pam. Actually, it was here on the Forums that I learned about the Sherwin-Williams bonding primer. It's amazing stuff that really gives paint a surface to grab onto. I was able to paint the entire inside of the trailer including the endcap by using that primer. They can even tint the primer so you don't have to use as many coats of the actual paint. Of course since the primer is white they can only go so dark with the tint because darker colors use a darker tint base. I hope I'll have a bunch of pictures in about a week when everything is finished. It's all gotta be done in time for the FCU rally!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks also form me,that is a good product to know about. I need to do something with my end caps and ceiling in the living/kitchen area. They are now a beige latex from the p.o. I considered strippping the end caps, but paint would do well also.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote