Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Ok I did something wrong with Plastic repair?

Well I had read that you can use Acetone and ABS for ABS repairs. Well I got hold of a sheet of molded ABS plastic and got some acetone from home depot . I then proceeded to shave off some ABS plastic into shavings and add them to 3 ounces if Acetone to my surprise it did dissolve the ABS a bit but
it ended up the consistency or play doo and would not desolve any more,Well while cleaning the area with ABS cleaner I noticed it was desolving the plastic as it cleaned so i mixed some ABS shaving's and believe it or not i got a good stable Plastic repair . Ill post pictures later.
ole

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works much better then Acetone.
I cut up 1/4" X 1/2" chunks of ABS and fill a pill bottle about half full with ABS pieces and pour in enough MEK to cover the ABS and let it soak for a few days, stir it up occasionally. After the ABS has melted leave the container open and let the MEK evaporate off until you have the consistency you want or add MEK to thin it up.

I have been using this to fill fill hole and repair cracks, for cracks I drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from progressing and dig out the crack on both sides and fill it with my MEK concoction. Takes two or three applications as it shrinks when it dries and you can shape it with a razor blade the next day as it is still fairly soft, it has been 40 degrees around here and it take about 5 to 7 day to complete dry.

I discovered by accident:
I was making up a batch of the MEK, ABS concoction and mistakenly used Xylol instead of MEK and the next day I discovered the ABS chunks were clean soft and pliable but had not melted at all.
A few weeks later I was working on my A/C shroud and where it attaches around the fan it was brittle and dis formed, I could here it cracking while I tried to screw it down. Remembering my Xylol, ABS mistake from earlier so I soaked a rag in Xylol and draped it over the dis formed area with some Saran wrap over it to keep it from evaporating. I keep the rag wet with Xylol for abut 30 hours, after this time I was able to clamp and reform the ABS where needed, I left the clamps on for two days. It has been a week sense I did that, I am going to let it dry another week and if it still looks good I will do three more areas that need attending to.

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works much better then Acetone.
I cut up 1/4" X 1/2" chunks of ABS and fill a pill bottle about half full with ABS pieces and pour in enough MEK to cover the ABS and let it soak for a few days, stir it up occasionally. After the ABS has melted leave the container open and let the MEK evaporate off until you have the consistency you want or add MEK to thin it up.

I have been using this to fill fill hole and repair cracks, for cracks I drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from progressing and dig out the crack on both sides and fill it with my MEK concoction. Takes two or three applications as it shrinks when it dries and you can shape it with a razor blade the next day as it is still fairly soft, it has been 40 degrees around here and it take about 5 to 7 day to complete dry.

I discovered by accident:
I was making up a batch of the MEK, ABS concoction and mistakenly used Xylol instead of MEK and the next day I discovered the ABS chunks were clean soft and pliable but had not melted at all.
A few weeks later I was working on my A/C shroud and where it attaches around the fan it was brittle and dis formed, I could here it cracking while I tried to screw it down. Remembering my Xylol, ABS mistake from earlier so I soaked a rag in Xylol and draped it over the dis formed area with some Saran wrap over it to keep it from evaporating. I keep the rag wet with Xylol for abut 30 hours, after this time I was able to clamp and reform the ABS where needed, I left the clamps on for two days. It has been a week sense I did that, I am going to let it dry another week and if it still looks good I will do three more areas that need attending to.

Ok now i know why the ABS cleaner was working it has MEK in it ok next question where do I get just MEK? i used the ABS cleaner and it did great but I think i need to change the mix and like you said leave it for a few days .

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Hey check out my pics of Plastic repair.

Please forgive the slop of it this is my first time and i did it on a non showing side.
Four things learned :
1) Off the bat do not use Aluiminum screen as support mechanism it wont work.
2) Use fiberglass cloth I am willing to bet it will soak up plastic and support well when dry.
3) Use MEK instead of Acetone MUCH MUCH better results .
4) Let mixure set for a day to totaly disolve ABS pieces.

My Pictures

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Home Depot has MEK in pint cans
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
MEK can be had from Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, most hardware stores I would assume.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Use extreme caution when playing with MEK like this. It is very flammable and it's attracted to your liver from what I've been told. Use heavy rubber gloves and eye protection, and lots of fresh air please.

Rich
Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Most any place that sells paint sell MEK
Old 04-11-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Just a update on first attemps at repair

Just so you all know this is a learning experience so I am in the learning stages of the game. Well like I said one thing is clear do not use metal screen as patch or support it will react to the chemicals and start to deform as you add plastic compound. Another thing do not use to much plastic compound it will start to disolve or soften the plastic around it(in other word's I will have to repair the repair when it hardens) Oh and I made a mess trying to get the feel for the plastic compound. Well I have learned some things one is fiberglass adhesive patch tape, That and PVC/ABS cement works great I repaired the bathroom sink basin with that and it made the edges nice and strong and stopped the cracks along the rivit hole's. Well good news is I am getting better at it each time I do it. One repair where I used the plastic compound was the drain hole in the tub I glued a piece of ABS from underneath and built up the edge's then used the compound and filled in the space from inside the tub . I will give that a few days to dry and redrill drain hole. I also started in on the vista window's they have moister in between panes and the caulking was all deformed so I used a glass cutting blade on my rotor tool and proceed to remove first pain along the way it started to crack which is what I wanted it to do and I removed the first pane removed the caulking and replaced with vulkem . I am going to let it dry and clean up left overs with blade. have pics ill post them tonight)

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust