Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Not HGTV...Design Thoughts Sought

We are beginning the tear down and subsequent rebuild of our 31' 1976 Sovereign center bath. The layout is basically two rooms that are separated by a hallway. We like the rear bedroom, but I would like to open up the “Cattle Chute” hallway to attain a more open feel isfpossible. The hall is 27 inches wide and a good 5 feet long. After a week camping I swear I begin squeaking, growing white fur, whiskers, and I find myself looking for the cheese.

I have some layout ideas, but would like to query the group for thoughts and opinion.

Sketches of the existing factory floor plan are shown below. The hallway is sided by the bathroom (in aqua) and the wardrobe closet (in white).

This is a full blown tear down and rebuild that will involve a partial frame boxing, new plumbing from city water to sewer connection, and all the electrical as well. Moving systems around is a possibility, though not desired.

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angled View.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	87276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan View.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	87277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	End View.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	87278  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Replace part of the wardrope with the Refrigerator. Either construct additional storage at present refrigerator location, or provide open floor area for a chair?

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
We are beginning the tear down and subsequent rebuild of our 31' 1976 Sovereign center bath Kevin
I have the same year Airstream and layout , I love it. I finished a complete re-do of the interior last year that included replacing the fridge and all of the kitchen cabinets, closet doors and center nightstand in the back bedroom. I had previously replaced the old carpet with parquet floors and added leather wall away recliners. The counter top replacement with Corian type material and undermount sink was the finished just recently. Attached are some pictures that may offer some ideas to your project. There are 2 pdf files that show some before and after pictures and some construction pictures as well. I pretty much worked with the original layout and just built new cabinets in the place of the old ones and updated the equipment. The space next to the fridge where the 70's era Microwave (they were huge) was designed to go made a great bar with the pullout tray and an oak roll top door. A smaller Microwave is installed in the cabinets below the bar. I replaced the old range/oven with just a 4 burner cook top which freed up space for more storage and a lot of weight as well.

Have fun with your project

Don
1976 31" Sovereign
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream interior 2009_1.pdf (2.63 MB, 121 views)
File Type: pdf Airstream counter top.pdf (3.85 MB, 113 views)
Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Costalotta Start to finish thread

A graet thread on a complete interior re-do of a center bath Argosy was "Costalotta start to finish" I just can't seem to locate it. PM Marvin, Happycampers, and have him send you the thread address. It is a beautiful trailer and the interior work is some of the best I have ever seen. This trailer was best of show at the 2008 Texas vintage Airstream rally.

Don
Old 09-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I found it...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ish-33361.html

I too will be redoing my center bath on a 78 Sovereign and would like some ideas.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have the same year Airstream and layout , I love it. I finished a complete re-do of the interior last year that included replacing the fridge and all of the kitchen cabinets, closet doors and center nightstand in the back bedroom. I had previously replaced the old carpet with parquet floors and added leather wall away recliners. The counter top replacement with Corian type material and undermount sink was the finished just recently. Attached are some pictures that may offer some ideas to your project. There are 2 pdf files that show some before and after pictures and some construction pictures as well. I pretty much worked with the original layout and just built new cabinets in the place of the old ones and updated the equipment. The space next to the fridge where the 70's era Microwave (they were huge) was designed to go made a great bar with the pullout tray and an oak roll top door. A smaller Microwave is installed in the cabinets below the bar. I replaced the old range/oven with just a 4 burner cook top which freed up space for more storage and a lot of weight as well.

Have fun with your project

Don
1976 31" Sovereign

Nice job! really came out great.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
We are beginning the tear down and subsequent rebuild of our 31' 1976 Sovereign center bath. The layout is basically two rooms that are separated by a hallway. We like the rear bedroom, but I would like to open up the “Cattle Chute” hallway to attain a more open feel isfpossible....I have some layout ideas, but would like to query the group for thoughts and opinion.

Kevin:

"Costalotta's" interior furniture is indeed the best I have ever seen. One modificatin that may be a bit simpler that I did was to remove the sliding door and all but 6" of the rearward wall of the bathroom. I assume that you will be replacing the toilet also, if so, after removal of the rearward wall cock the toilet towards the hallway a la the newer models from the factory.

If you can stand the lack of privacy this is a great way to open up the hallway and really increase the useable space in the bathroom - especially in the area of entrance and egress from the shower.

The '78 is at the lake right now, but I will try to grab some pictures in the next week or so.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Quick thought...if the goal is "to open up" the claustrophobic hall and maintain systems...

Leave the curbside basically untouched - if you used Dennis' idea in the bath - you could create some semi-privacy with a curved out rod and curtain instead of a sliding door into the bath...

On the streetside, eliminate everything over counter height (keep the roof lockers - if you like). You would loose some fridge space and wardrobe space by keeping everything under the counter, but it sure would open it up, especially if you added a window or two to the street side...

The wall dividing the wardrobe from the bedroom could also go - use a curtain if you want privacy...

George
Old 09-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
Kevin:
One modificatin that may be a bit simpler that I did was to remove the sliding door and all but 6" of the rearward wall of the bathroom. I assume that you will be replacing the toilet also, if so, after removal of the rearward wall cock the toilet towards the hallway a la the newer models from the factory.

If you can stand the lack of privacy this is a great way to open up the hallway and really increase the useable space in the bathroom - especially in the area of entrance and egress from the shower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgezink View Post
Leave the curbside basically untouched - if you used Dennis' idea in the bath - you could create some semi-privacy with a curved out rod and curtain instead of a sliding door into the bath...

On the streetside, eliminate everything over counter height (keep the roof lockers - if you like). You would loose some fridge space and wardrobe space by keeping everything under the counter, but it sure would open it up, especially if you added a window or two to the street side...

The wall dividing the wardrobe from the bedroom could also go - use a curtain if you want privacy...George

Good ideas! Yes the intent is to open up things without having to do any major system locations. The ideas of opening up the bath and cutting down the wardrobe are spot on. Privacy is not an issue around here, my SO (significant other) and I have four daughters between us, so I'm surrrounde by the estrogen posse.

The Costalotta redo is nice but it doesn't really address what I'm oping to accomplish. Dennis if you do happen to get some photos I would appreciate seeing your efforts.

Thanks to everyone for posting,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote