Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Clovis , New Mexico
Newbie with big Airstream dreams!

Hello! I am an absolute newbie to the Airstream community! I will be moving to New Mexico in November and I have a dream to full time in an Airstream. I've been doing research online for months and I've decided that I would like to do a full, custom renovation. I'd like to be very involved in the renovation process but I must admit I know very little about plumbing and electrical. I am handy and a quick technical learner, but I know I need a professional to guide me through this process. Does anyone have any recommendations on companies or people in the Albuquerque or overall New Mexico area that can help me with my renovation dream?! Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks to all the avid posters that have helped me with my research up to this point!
nckysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome and keep dreaming,

There are plenty of 4Corners Unit members in and around ABQ that might speak up here. Also see several trailers on the classifieds section from NM and ABQ.

Might be a little cold in the winter to full-time live in your Airstream but its likely been done in a colder climate.

Folks here are very friendly and will help when they can.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Doing a "full monte" will allow you to make it more of a "winter" trailer.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
nckysixx, I'll be following this thread closely, as I'm starting the same adventure! We just bought a 1975 26' Airstream Argosy. We are planning on pretty much overhauling the whole thing. Hopefully in the next 6-8 months, so we can hit the national parks with our family next Summer. I'm in Oklahoma, so in your 'general' neck of the woods.

I'm a newby too, as in, this is my first post on this site!
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
kennebunkport , Maine
Maine-yak

Who knows, Holiday Travelers RV in Albuquerque may have resources you can use, they handle many, and have a lot of used AS in their inventory.
  • Phone: 505-294-8280
  • 11810 Central Avenue
  • Albuquerque, N.M. 87123
My wife and love your Land of Enchantment.
Good luck.
Maine-yak
frechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Magdalena , New Mexico
Welcome to New Mexico! Holiday Airstream in ABQ is a great dealer and repair shop.
Charlene
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
Welcome to New Mexico! Holiday Airstream in ABQ is a great dealer and repair shop.
Charlene
I second the vote of confidence in Holiday Airstream. A family business with great people. It is apparently the only Airstream dealer in New Mexico.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Get a 34

If you're going to fulltime in it, get a 34 foot triple axle from 1986 or newer. You may need new axles, but you won't regret it.

These trailers are small,compared to a 5th wheel with a slideout. So a 34' is where you want to be.

The frame issues were fixed midyear 1985, so that's why I say go newer than that.

You should be able to find a good deal on a mid 90's 34 footer. It'll make you a nice foundation to start with.

For what it's worth, I pull a 34 foot triple axle Avion ("Silver Sister") which is actually 36' long, and I have no problems getting it into anywhere I want to camp. And, the triple axles tow very nicely. Very stable and safe.

You're embarking on a neat project. Have fun with it. If you're not brand locked into Airstream, consider Avion's 1987 and older as they didn't use the rubber axles then and so they don't need replaced. Silver Streak and Streamline are also nice trailers. But if you must have an Airstream, I recommend a post '85 34 footer.

Best of luck and hope to see you on the road!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
DDOK: What a coincidence. I have a husband named Dean Wormer.
No, wait, seriously, wrong movie. My wife and I, also in Tulsa, have just secured our first AS and will be active on this board and frequent visitors to the closest home depot.

Good Luck!

Jay
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I will "third" on holiday airstream. They fixed our warranty issue on our new AS quickly, efficiently and were as friendly as they could be. We were on the road and they graciously worked us in. The four corners unit is great also!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
All right, we may as well make it four votes for Holiday in Albuquerque.....They were great in the 80's (two stops there on different trips for different problems). They were super, and the pricing was definitely reasonable. If there are 3 people who pat 'em on the back in 2015, they've probably kept their quality high.

Kent
Hoiuston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyb View Post
DDOK: What a coincidence. I have a husband named Dean Wormer.
No, wait, seriously, wrong movie. My wife and I, also in Tulsa, have just secured our first AS and will be active on this board and frequent visitors to the closest home depot.

Good Luck!

Jay
Jay - Great to see another Okie! We should definitely stay in touch. If you have any great Oklahoma remodel resources, please share. As mentioned, we are just starting our remodel journey. Reading through these forums, I recognize we have a ton of work ahead of us, but we are looking forward to having our own personalized Argosy when we are done.
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome all you new Airstreamers. You can see the great references you have garnered from folks about your Airstream dreams.

I also recommend the 34 foot triple axle Airstream for your full time dreams. They are great values in the mid nineties vintage. Holiday Airstream or maybe someone else can help you renovate it to your liking. I'd budget $15k or more for the renovation. The larger trailer would be more comfortable than say a 25 footer.

We have an 86 Limited 34 footer. It has two furnaces for warmth. It has a nice galley, big fridge, microwave cabinet, and good storage areas. It has three wardrobe cedar lined closets. The bath is functional. The shower works well enough. Ours is a rear bedroom layout.

We layed down a cork floor covering, new upholstery, new curtains, new blinds, new air conditioner, new fridge, new water heater, new water pump, LED lights, new tires, shocks and brakes. I replaced the belly pan and subfloor insulation. I stripped the old clear coat of and spent many hours polishing, it looks better.

The cabinetry in our trailer has held up well and is still original. It would be a great trailer for full timing in decent climates (not Minnesota). Living in an Airstream full time means trailer parks, close neighbors, propane tanks, possible water and sewer freeze ups, and battling rain water leaks. Airstreams are lightweight travel trailers. Some of the 4 season fifth wheel units may be a better choice. I see more of those in the extended stay lots at RV parks than I do Airstreams. But I like the uniqueness of the all aluminum Airstream. There are a lot of people living full time in Airstreams. Read about their experiences here on Air Forums.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Clovis , New Mexico
Wow! So many helpful tips!! I'm really looking forward to getting started! I will keep everyone posted with the progress! Any and all help is appreciated!!
nckysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #15

1989 34' Excella
Braintree , Massachusetts
Hey nckysixx!
I purchased a turn key 1989 34' excella not too long ago and I'm now living in her full time! Always been a dream of mine...so time to live it!!
I'm living in Fort Walton Beach, FL...any help out there about renovators/resources/knowledgable people to help me get started??
I'm in the demo stage of gettin some of the old outdates furniture out and laying down plans...
Any and all would help...
Good luck on your adventure nckysixx!! It's truly amazing and I'm so thankful I pulled the trigger and just did it!!
Good airstream vibes!!

Peter
SwedePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome SwedePete. I think you picked a very good Airstream for your full time dreams. Now you can share your experiences, both good and bad.

You'll need to assess the needs of your 89 commensurate with your intended use. Florida is lush, wet with rain showers most every day. So watch for leaks and get them repaired. I purchased a moisture meter and probe the perimeter of my trailer after a hard rain. It will indicate moisture on the floor. Just inspect the systems and appliances in your rig to make sure things are working. Then you can decorate as you see fit.

AirForums members can certainly be a source of good ideas.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #17

1989 34' Excella
Braintree , Massachusetts
Thanks so much for the advice David!!
Any help is great help...
I was told there weren't any leaks but it sounds like it's a good idea to check after every rain fall which I didn't think of...
Just another to do to add to the list!!

Peter
SwedePete is offline   Reply With Quote