Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs Village , ARKANSAS
Newbie..with a plan??

Well finally made it to take a first hand look at my AS...purchased a few months ago..had a friend take a look prior to purchase...moved it close to a storage area in Texas where I was moving and my daughter and fiance live. They agreed to help with the Reno. So after selling my house and loading up what would fit in my car I made it to Katy, Texas.. it's a 1992 Excella 34'...one word, actually 2 words...what was I thinking?? And HELP. My daughter had removed most of the interior we finished today. Rotten subfloor, in many areas back is the worst. Here's my question..we have decided to: 1. Remove walls, 2. Remove subfloor, 3. Do plumbing, 4. Seal all Windows and everywhere there is a chance for leakage, 5. Put new marine plywood subfloor down, 6. Update electrical, put new insulation and use walls salvageable back in and replace those which are not, lastly any thing which needs to be addressed on the bellypan...last because we have no way to get to it at this point? Does this order seem doable?? Thanks for any info you can share...
clarsen0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the sub floor has issues, it's worth checking the frame. It can indeed rust out and need "attention". The "usual list" also involves checking axles, brakes, and hubs.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Newbie... plan??

Thanks Bob, plan to check all you mentioned as soon as we can pull it out of the storage..We have dumped about 1,200lbs which we haven taken out and should be able to pull out with the truck now. I don't think we could check the frame with it still in storage or could we when subfloor/walls are removed/walls? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks Connie
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Once the floor is out, the frame is "right there". Before that point, you can use one of these camera gizmos to look here and there.

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...gateway&sr=8-3

They come in all shapes / sizes / prices. That one is simply what popped up on Amazon early on the list.

Others are a bit more self contained:

https://www.amazon.com/Dericam-Bores...ateway&sr=8-16

No, none of them are perfect. They all are a bit of a struggle to get that probe just in to where you need to see. Still, they do indeed let you dig into things a bit easier than tearing walls or floors out.

Bob
Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In order to replace ths subfloor, you will need to remove at least part of the belly pan, and the lower most interior skins because there are bolts that come up from the outriggers (on the frame), through the subfloor, and up through the C-channels that form the bottom of the walls.

So as long as you are removing part of the belly pan, you may as well remove it all so that you can get a good look at the condition of the frame.

Marine grade plywood is expensive and overkill. You just need a good grade of plywood that will give you a smooth surface looking up, so that you don't have to do a bunch of surface prep before you can install your flooring. Treat the plywood with a few layers of polyurethane, penetrating epoxy, or whatever you can find, in order to keep the edges from absorbing water in the future.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Continuing the "plan"

So we have removed all the interior panels and insulation except for panel by the door. Any suggestions on how to remove it on a 1992 AS Excella? After we get this last panel out we plan to start removing the subfloor...then on to the bellypan..already can tell frame will need work...looking for a welder in Katy, TX...any suggestions?? Plan to post some pictures of our progress soon...beginning to see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel or that could be the light coming up from the rotted subfloor! Thanks for any suggestions!! Connie
Old 10-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If your trailer is constructed like earlier vintages, then the interior sections of skin by the door may be held in place by rivets that are hidden under the interior door trim. The door trim is held in by a few pop rivets--drill them out, then pry the door frame to remove it, and the rivets holding the skin to the door frame should be visible.

That light you see...What was that line from "Poltergeist?"

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One wrinkle in all this:

A lot of welding shops expect you to bring the frame to them. They then do the work in their shop and you pick it up when they are done.... Towing an AS what has been stripped is a bit interesting. You may not want to go very far

Bob