Old 07-31-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Question Newbie here, have cleaning question..

Hi!
I am new to this site, having just purchased a 1975 international land yacht ( thats what it says on it, anyways!)

This is a giant leap for me, I have a tent trailer that I have used for a number of years, and now this big thing....

Anyways, please pardon me if I don't get the terms right, but I need to know what to use to clean the interior of this trailer!!

From the look and smell, this trailer has been chain-smoked in since it was born....the walls are a scuzzy yellow-brown...

I have been carefully unscrewing things and taking them outside to clean them, and so far, off have come curtains, out has come all the upholstery, the drawers..

Ok, what is the best thing to do the walls with? I have some TSP, and so far it is working pretty well.

Anyone know of someone/someplace in Eastern ontario that does upholstery and/or draperies?
thanks
Wolf

Old 07-31-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Antique Road Show

That scuzzy yellow-brown color is the original vintage patina. If you mess with it, you may drastically effect the value of your trailer!

(Just kidding--I thought I'd try that one out here before using it at the VAC Rally next week )

If you have the original Zolatone painted walls, it's a matter of strong household cleaners and elbow grease. I used Simple Green, Zep Citrus, and Formula 409 (not all at once--on successive passes). Layer by layer, most of it comes off, leaving a very pretty scuzzy beige. Whichever product smells best to you, use that one last.

If you're talking about the vinyl covered walls, Inland Andy has a helpful hint about making them look new with floor wax. You can check it out at: www.inlandrv.com/articles/interior5bucks.htm

Welcome, and good luck!

Tom

Old 07-31-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I also find that the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles work very well, however, I'd test it first in an inconspic place.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Dow Scrubbing Bubbles

I hear they work, so you don't have toooooooooooo........
Old 07-31-2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Dow Scrubbing Bubbles

Quote:
Originally posted by 63flyingcloud
I hear they work, so you don't have toooooooooooo........
I use it on my tires, rims, etc. It doesn't need to sit long either. I spray it on, wipe a bit and when outside rinse off. On inside stuff just wipe off. Then to get the stickiness off, just use a mild vinegar window cleaner.

Smells good and clean as the Enterprise "D" when she was commissioned from Utiopa Planetia Yards about 15 years ago!

Sorry Cloud, I couldn't let that one pass by....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I have been using a product called Greased Lighting Orange Blast I found in the Automotive cleaning section of Walmart, I follwed the directions and cut it 50/50 with water and have great results .But as others have said try a small inconspic area first.Then follow Andy's advice at Inland Rv ,and coat the clean walls with Future floor wax .It looks outstanding when finished .
Old 07-31-2003, 03:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

sorry bout the typo ..........followed directions ..................Thanx for the help Shari !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:53 PM   #8
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Welcome fellow Canine,

Sorry I wont be much help with your cleaning issues...
I just wanted to comment on your rig.
If I understand correctly all of the larger Airstreams are Land Yachts.
27' would make your's an Overlander. International means it had a couple of upgrades over the standard Overlander.
Sounds like we have the same trailers.
I bought mine just a couple of months ago. Been having a ball with it. Does yours have the center twin beds or the rear double?
Mine is the twin.
Good luck. And have fun.
Jerry
Old 07-31-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Did you know????

Quote:
sorry bout the typo ..........followed directions
You can edit your own posts to fix typos? There is an "Edit" button on the bottom right hand corner of each post which allows you to do so.

Shari
Old 07-31-2003, 07:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie here, have cleaning question..

Greetings Wolf!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming.

A trick that I learned years ago cleaning up rental property between tennants was that denatured rubbing alcohol will cut through the dirt/build-up of nicotine on walls and fixtures as well as remove the sticky residue. I purchased the least expensive, largest containers that I could find and used it straight out of the bottle - - just be sure to wear gloves to protect your hands and I also wear goggles as well if working over my head. This also helps to remove the stale smoky odor; but replaces it with the rubbing alcohol smell that may be objectionable to some.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate the welcomes, and all the suggestions.

Takes a bit of getting used to the forum formats on the different sites, hope this appears in the right place, heehee.

Must go to bed after I write the supplies list down for tomorrow, and I will keep y'all posted as to what works for me!

This is a great site, glad I found it!

Wolf
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
K, forum question now...

Call me blonde, but what does the "rivets" thing mean, and what does the "karma" thing mean?

Wolf
Old 07-31-2003, 08:50 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Click on the Karma button below and all will be revealed.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Say Wolf, if you are still among us....

You never got back with the report of which cleaner worked for you, as you had promised.

Please advise as this is a chore that most new vintage buyers must undertake.

I know there have been other threads on similar subject but after 4 search attempts this is the only one that came up.

One attempt I put in Spic & Span and got some lame error message that there is a minimum of two words necessary......duh...go figure????

These forums desperately need someone to consolidate like threads somehow. Probably by inserting Key Words in the subject lines of threads that are mis-titled.
If there was a fixed list of Key Words I think it would sure make Searchs more successful. The way the number of threads is growing around here we are headed for a nightmare of lost or misplaced info for the future, I am afraid.

$&V