Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #29
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I can feel the difference in my TV... The AS is isolated. So I put my phone on record I a baking pan of beans. Drove a certain route. Installed Centramatics, redrove while recording. Compared the difference.. Wow.

Your rig is unique. Your results will be unique. You WILL See a difference.

For my TV, I have a good balance and rebalance regularly because it is part of the "tire package I bought. If I were running off-road more I would consider them for the TV to counteract mud or rocks in the tread/wheel.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #30
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I respectfully disagree with the notion that a certain kind of hitch could be responsible for screw failure on doors and cabinets. If that is true, Airstream better damn well start to advise buyers on what kind of hitch they must buy. The fault is in the design and use of particle board construction and inadequate screws for the job....with a good measure of faulty installation at time of build. What do the designers think a travel trailer is going to undergo on the road ? My Toyota doesn't start to come apart after a few thousand miles on American highways. Through-bolt construction whenever possible is the only sure and long lasting way to insure doors and cabinets hold together. And don't get me started on the cheap plastic door and cabinet latches.....they are disgraceful. But I really do love my Airstream !

Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #31
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlbob View Post
I respectfully disagree with the notion that a certain kind of hitch could be responsible for screw failure on doors and cabinets. If that is true, Airstream better damn well start to advise buyers on what kind of hitch they must buy. The fault is in the design and use of particle board construction and inadequate screws for the job....with a good measure of faulty installation at time of build. What do the designers think a travel trailer is going to undergo on the road ? My Toyota doesn't start to come apart after a few thousand miles on American highways. Through-bolt construction whenever possible is the only sure and long lasting way to insure doors and cabinets hold together. And don't get me started on the cheap plastic door and cabinet latches.....they are disgraceful. But I really do love my Airstream !
Now there's someone with a grasp on reality!

There is NO excuse for the problems I've been reading about. Not when folks are paying LOTS of hard-earned money for "the best". AS needs some competition, badly.

So, you're supposed to plunk down a pile of cash for a nice trailer, then spend another $2K+ on a hitch ("dialed in correctly", of course) to keep screws and rivets in place?
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
I bought my new AS in Feb this year. I am going camping for the first time this upcoming week. Yesterday, while testing the Rear fantastic fan, the screw holding the turn mechanism came off. It was stripped right off. I found a way to replace it with a larger screw. There is no way that was tested during build. I also have had to fix approx 10 items before I even hit the road. Loose screws all over the place. 2 water line leaks. Bad thermostat in the fridge compartment. Dealer is a $250 ferry ride away (each way). I am a little dissappointed. But I plan on leaving it to my kids when I can't RV any longer. (That will teach them :-)
The hardest thing for me to get used to, after owning a Citation Supreme 5th wheel, is the lack of storage in the Signature 23FB. Anyway, I would still buy another AS. I am a fix most thing myself kind of guy. I only wish I had bought a 25ft. I got a great deal on this one, so I might trade it in later for a 25 or larger. Being an ex aviator, those rivets and all that aluminium do something for me. :-)
So hang in there, and with this great Forum, there is almost nothing that you can't fix yourself or improve upon. Having said this AS should have better quality control!

PS: I full timed for over 4 years in my 5th wheel. I was fixing stuff all the time. You really have to learn to do things by yourself and not let problems ruin your experience.

Al
Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I do not see anywhere about any hitch being the possible problem, however, the SETUP of any hitch could be the problem. A improperly set up hitch can andd will cause damage to any trailer. Read the article on Inland RV's site by Andy. I agree that the quality may be down in some respects, but as an owner, you are responsible to make sure you are using and maintaining the unit properly. These days it is too easy to blame something on somebody else. Just MHO!!! Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #34
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
" Shake, Rattle and Roll" Great song, but not for the Airstream.

The density of the wood and type/length of screw have to match. As a repair for high use, high load, I use a sliver of dense wood, either Oak or Ash, cut to length to fill half the diameter of the hole. Moisten the sliver and apply a small amount of Polyurethane glue (Sumo, Gorilla Glue) Allow to set 10-15 minutes, trim the expanded foam from the screw hole and reset the part with a quality screw with sharp threads. ( Factories always use the low bidder cheap stuff. AS may be guilty as well.)
Once you go over all of your wood fasteners, you shouldn't have to worry about them ever again.
Good Glue, High Quality Fasteners, Hardwood slivers work better than toothpicks.
It's a good half day project, and should be a relaxing one. Especially when you're done.
Clayton
Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I agree with you about the AS quality. I have a 2009 27FB Classic Limited and have experienced over 75 quality issues. I now have to replace the floor because of an inferior factory warranty fix on my refrigerator condensate line failure. I love the trailer but cry every time I see the rusted carbon steel latches, stabilizers, and many other parts on this beautiful aluminum exterior. Being a mechanical engineer I have offer AS to show them how $ 50 would improve the quality and reduce their warranty but they wanted to remove $50 more rather than spend $50 more. I went looking at the 2015 units and went away crying because another American company has lost the vision that quality is important. If you want a quality product I guess you have to do it yourself. May be AS will wake up when Korea or China starts sending knock-offs. Renovation is our next project for our 2009.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I remember the frustration/let down of all the things wrong with our trailer. I had always heard (and still do) that Airstream is the best. After taking the leap and financing an $80,000 Airstream, the most expensive thing I have ever bought and the largest amount of money I have ever borrowed, I was very disappointed. I stayed on the phone with Airstream every day for a while. I emailed Randy McNeely, Chris Burch, and Dave Schuman photos of broken stuff almost daily. After a trip to Jackson Center, all is well. I can't imagine trading trailers and starting over again after going through this. I hope we never have to buy another trailer.
The bright side- even though there were lots of problems, none were as big as the problems we had with our previous some other brand trailer. No problems prevented us from camping. I just kept an ever increasing punch list until our service center appointment. The list was even growing while we were at Jackson Center. The list eventually grew to 60-something items that were all addressed. The service center at the mother ship is top notch. Their goal is 110% customer satisfaction. Too bad production isn't on the same page. Maybe the new factory expansion will clear up junk and clutter, therefore streamlining the processes and increasing quality. In my opinion, there were too many workers in a trailer at once- in one another's way and one not knowing what the others are doing/have done. There were too many air lines and extension cords and trailer parts lying about without much of a clear path for walking- obviously not ISO 9000 certified-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
As I read thru these posts, I was composing my own suggestions when I came to "CWF"s response and found he/she had made the very points I wished to make. Good post!

I hate particle board, but let's face it... I knew that material was used when I bought the thing. A screw-anchor of some sort is necessary when installed using particle board. I have had success using a hot-glue gun to fill the existing hole and then reinstall the screw. (much better than those hard plastic anchors which require drilling oversize and create a much larger hole.)

Many installers overtighten screws in particle board and wheel vibrations can shake screws loose even in sound plywood. Get those wheels balanced!

(PS: I don't believe it has anything to do with your hitch. If the hitch is that incorrect you'd feel it in the TV also.)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
I've a 2014 Bambi and have experienced some of the similar problems. In addition what in my mind is just sloppy workmanship. Found a small panel under the trailer that was pop riveted in place, 3 of the rivets missed completely and the panel was quite loose, not sure how this got by the workman let alone quailty control. Numerous similar sloppy and poor quality work, drawers and doors interfere, both door hits AC knobs, over tightened screws that stripped, front window won't open without interfering with shield, panel on systems monitor installed crooked, screw backing out under non skid in door way, leaky left wheelwell and it does go on. None of this is due to TV. Frankly I didn't expect this sort of lack of quality on a trailer with this price tag. I have owned a couple of smaller trailers that cost 1/4 of what this one did and "NO" issues like this on them.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
Wink

the fit and finish of our 2010 19' bambi also surprised and shocked me. had a popup prior and understood that rough roads/vibration does loosen things. i thought that a company having made this product for years would have had a better product but not. same as any other trailer. loose screws still happening. after the tv and the entire cabinet it was fastened to with the belt around the tv to secure it came off the wall only saved by the wiring still attached i was ready to sell it. it had pulled right out of the aluminum skin. severely under secured. friends from the 4cu and time helped me through the sell reaction. we did have centramatics in place. went and had a unit member redo the mounting of cabinet and tv more secure and we no longer travel with tv on the mount to insure no accidents. the amount of stripped screws and that craptacular particle board are ongoing maintenance issues which i now accept. the tips here have been great. i had to remount the power center this week as that had been regularly vibrating loose as it was hanging from only four screws in particle board. i am learning new things. this trailer will not be the perfectly maintained AS but it will be the one we can use with fixes i can manage. the nest owner can do it their way. until then i will use this forum as my resource, friends from the 4cu as support and camp on with fingers crossed that we can camp and triumph over problems or sell
Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
There is probably more than one reason for all your fastener failures, quality of materials, quality of construction, hitch set up, tire balance, etc. Most of us have worked our way thru the "system" of maintenance and repairs. My 27'FB came with Goodyear Marathons and as I was preparing for a trip to Alaska. I decided to have the tires balanced before we left and discovered the tires were so badly out of round, they couldn't be balanced. New tires, and you immediately could feel the difference. No more cabinet doors or drawers popping open.
Then I notice a little crinkle in the shell at the lower corner of the front compartment door behind the propane tanks. A little more research and discovered my equalizer bars were way too stiff for my setup. Replace the 1200# bars with 800# bars and again could really feel the difference. No more shell issues.
As I stated earlier, I think 1000# bars are way too stiff for your combination. But my point is as I think you may have picked up here in the responses, there often is not just one single reason for our trailers problems.
For example, while I now believe I have a good balanced hitch set up, the tire issue is a big one here on the forums. I've gone thru three and one half set of tires in 5 1/2 years including one blowout. I'm now in the process of buying 16" wheels and a Michelin LT tire. It is amazing to me that many tire shops believe that trailers don't need to be balanced or rotated. I think many here have had great experience with the Centramatics balancers. That is just another tool in the arsenal that can be used to extend the life and reduce repairs on our trailers.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Millville , New Jersey
I'm interested in the 2015 28' International Serenity. I noticed most comments were towards the Flying Cloud line. Are there different levels of quality / materials depending on which line you buy? I would think the Classic at $100k+ would have the fewest number of problems.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Classic has its fair share of problems.
The other models are all pretty much the same except for interior colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote