Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
The ProPride is the next version of the Hensley design.

I own a PP and on our 34' triple axle works great once dialed in.

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ed: We've been towing and or RVing for 50 years. There are so many variables involved between tow vehicle, set up, air pressure, hitch set up, tire pressure in trailer roads traveled on it's virtually impossible to tell from a forum what is going on. Our current set up pops rivets, loosens screws etc and I know it, expect it and live with it. We tow with a n F350 (1 Ton Diesel) not dual wheel, but almost as bad. I've gone to light bars to try and help and it does a bit.

When a screw comes out I put in some glue, some saw dust and screw it in and let it sit before using the door or whatever for a while. Seems to work. Hinges the same. Hooks basically the same. Rivets I put back in and grind down the heads. When the trailer goes in for work, I let the techs handle what I have not under warranty. Understand the frustrations, but we recently had a 38' MoHo, considered very high end that made falling screws seem insignificant; they are not, but compared they are too us.

After so many years of doing this, and being type A, to my wife's pleasant surprise I've finally learned what is, is and "these are the good times". as the song goes.

Good luck.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
We've had our AS for 14 years. Self-loosening screws has been an ongoing maintenance issue. But, it's pretty easy to resolve. I always carry an assortment of screws (various lengths and diameter). If you can replace the screw that falls out with one that's longer and/or larger, that's a good way to solve the problem. Another way to fix a hole that's gotten too big for the screw is to take a small piece of aluminum foil. Roll it tightly into a small piece that's slightly bigger than the hole then jam it in as far and as tightly as it will go so that it fills the hole the screw fits in. Then take the end of a screwdriver handle and tamp down the bit of foil that's sticking out of the screw hole. Tamp it down to ensure the foil completely fills the hole and so that it's flush with the surface. Then, screw right into the foil filler. It should hold pretty well. I've done this many times. Same idea as filling the hole with wood filler, toothpicks, or a dowel, but it requires no drilling or drying time and you're probably likely to have foil onboard to make this quick fix.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Boerne , Texas
I have had my new 2014 airstream FB flying cloud 8 months. I can not tell how disappointed I have Been in the Quality for a $73000.00 RV. I thought I was buying the best RV made. Surely has not been the case. By the time I sell it it will surely be better than new!!!
Rusty Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Iceman, thank you for your reply to my post concerning AS quality. It may very well be my hitch setup; I have a Hensley Hitch and I'm now towing with a GMC 2500 truck. I was towing with an SUV (Infiniti QX 56) I have had problems since the very beginning with loose screws. However it does seem to have become a little worse since I got the truck although it is a pleasure towing with the truck because you don't even know that the trailer is behind it. You mentioned $200 invested in Centramatics - call Andy. What is a Centramatics? I have talked to someone at Can AM when we first go the trailer about the hitch but that was eight months ago. I will call him again and sincerely appreciate your suggestions. It's interesting that I have not met a single AS owner that hasn't gone out of their way to be EXTREMELY helpful and whom I haven't liked. However, I have been to four AS dealers for warranty work and there is only one place that I would go back to again. I think that I am going to have to take the trailer to Jackson Center to have it done correctly.
Bald Eagle
28 Ft. Flying Cloud
2015 GMC Diesel
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Bud, thanks so much for your reply and for putting my problems in the proper prospective. You are right; we have also owned MoHo's and I'm familiar with the headaches etc. We started off camping and thinking that anyone who stayed in a trailer or MoHo was crazy and might as well stay home. As we've gotten older we have become softer and enjoy the comforts of being off the ground. We love the life style so I should stop complaining and learn to fix the small problems that occur. I'm just sick of loose screws, broken latches, and hinges falling off a new trailer but I love the life style so I'll learn to cope. I am also a type A so I know what you mean. Again many thanks for your reply!
Bald Eagle
28 Ft. Flying Cloud
2015 GMC Diesel
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Was just up your way; you live in a lovely part of the Country. I, too, was disappointed when I discovered the reality of Airstream quality. But, I have learned that these problems and more plague the entire RV industry. Having come from blue water cruising sailboats, I can see that quality does not really matter to the RV industry. It is all about volume and margin. While I thought I was buying a top quality product, I have learned to accept what is there and just enjoy it. It was going to require maintenance no matter what.
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Lexington , Kentucky
I agree with the above posts recommending Centramatics! Before we installed Centramatics on our FC 25FB, we had a few rivets pop-out on the interior skin. Afterwards we have had none.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
I had a couple of screws come loose, mainly on the curved doors under the kitchen sink. These doors are heavy and the hinges are hard to get to because of the sink. I went one size bigger with a hex head so I could use a small socket set. I then put those in with a touch of Gorilla Glue. Problem solved. Do be careful not to overtighten any wood screw as they will strip out, even with solid wood.
Paul Hoffman
2014 27FB International (WBCCI # 5327)
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
The Villages , Florida
2015 quality

We too have had some issues with our 27' Flying cloud. Floor squeaks and some roof leaks. Dealer made all repairs and we are loving it again. Use your two year warranty to get every thing right while you can.
hacienda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Ed - clearly the unit is under warranty and you're not getting good service from some dealers. JC is the place to go and with your list, it should command a lot of attention. Some of the posts almost suggest that you just live with the problems. I, for one, don't think you should.
Centramatics are devices that fit between the wheel and the hub and dynamically balance your entire running gear. About every 3-5000 miles I would go around tightening screws - then I bought Centramatics. I still tighten, but far fewer are loose. Talk to Andy Rogozinski at Inland RV about Centramatics. Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations He's a member of the Forums and may even see your posts.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If you've got a spare phone with a camera, stick it somewhere with a good view inside your Airstream, then film a good tow. If there's overly violent movement you know it's your setup and you can start trouble shooting. If everything is calm, then it's a quality issue.

We tow our 34 with a Hensley too and have very few issues.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
Super glue

Hi Ed - we had a similar problem and used super glue both in the hole and where the screw head touches the bracket. After 6 weeks on the road we'll fly home Weds, Chris
cdfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Centramatics is a new topic for me tonight. I just watched a video about it and it sounds like a very sound investment. Do you install both on the Airstream and the tow vehicle? It seems like a good idea for both, and probably well worth the investment for improved tire wear, as well as reducing all the vibration-derived issues discussed in this thread.

Marty Womer
Saco, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote