Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Newbie: 2 bunk beds?

Hi -- Im just starting my search for an airstream to take my kids camping next summer. I spent this past summer with a popup Jumping Jack tent trailer (which was a blast) but I'm ready to move up the food chain.

I really don't want to buy a 31' trailer so I can get something that sleeps 6. I've got two kids and I'd love for them to be able to bring friends.

Couple questions;
1) Do people retrofit these things with a couple bunk beds? (+ a full for adults)
2) Any recommendations re year/model?

thanks!
John
jk_brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com! You'll find the answers to just about any Airstream question here, OR you will find that the easy-to-use search we have will allow you to mine what other members have said her over the years.

If you intend to travel with six people, I strongly recommend you re-consider your feelings towards the 31-footers. On a rainy day, it will seem a lot smaller than you can imagine...

Oh, and it's my opinion that they are cheaper, too, since until they realize that the big trailers are just as easy to tow (some say easier) than the smaller ones, a lot of new buyers avoid them, thus reducing their cost.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
John,

Yes, people to modify their trailers with bunks quite often. I have seen both owner and factory bunks installed. During the 2005-2006 time frame, Airstream made a bunkhouse version of the Safari 30' which slept up to 9 depending on the configuration. I have also seen a unit belonging to one of the members here that slept 9 and looked great.

If you were to buy a rear twin bed trailer, it would be rather easy to put bunks above the twin beds to provide an area for the kids, then remodel the front for the parents.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_brooks View Post
I really don't want to buy a 31' trailer so I can get something that sleeps 6. I've got two kids and I'd love for them to be able to bring friends.

Couple questions;
1) Do people retrofit these things with a couple bunk beds? (+ a full for adults)
Welcome to the forums.

In answer to your question it is relatively rare for people to retrofit bunk beds. There was a 30' "bunkhouse" model produced by the factory in 2005 and 2006 and dropped due to poor sales, though they remain sought after on the used market. Here's a thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...use-34869.html

But I have 3 kids and find a 30' trailer to be about right, although there tend to be disagreements over who sleeps where.

I would not suggest a smaller trailer for six people. Anything smaller than 25' won't have seating for 6 for meals.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
I have a 28' argosy with bunk beds that I'm currently rebuilding. I believe inland rv stocks several but not all of the parts needed if you wanted to try and cobble together the components of a similar to factory install of the 70's bunks. the biggest challenge would be the aluminum frames. They are simple but you'd probably need to have them made. There are quite a few threads about custom bunk bed retrofits. Depending on how much time you have, you may find a used unit for sale that had the bunk bed option.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1048351
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie: 2 bunk beds?

Greetings John!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_brooks View Post
Hi -- Im just starting my search for an airstream to take my kids camping next summer. I spent this past summer with a popup Jumping Jack tent trailer (which was a blast) but I'm ready to move up the food chain.

Couple questions;

thanks!
John
While the option was never exceptionally popular, Airstream offered what was referred to has the "hammock-bunk" option beginning sometime in the 1950s and running through much of the 1970s. The configurarion and construction of this option varied considerably over time as did the weight rating of the suspended bunk. Typically this option was offered on most models, but to have a total sleeping capacity of six usually meant that you would be looking at one of the following models:
  • Tradewind -- 24-foot or 25-foot depending upon model year -- and prior to 1964, it would likely be single axle, but after 1964 it would likely be tandem axle.
  • Overlander -- 26-foot or 27-foot depending upon model year -- prior to 1961, it might be single axle, but after 1961 it would likely be tandem axle.
  • Ambassador -- 28-foot or 29-foot depending upon model year -- always tandem axle.
  • Sovereign -- 30-foot or 31-foot depending upon model year -- always tandem axle.
  • Argosy 24 through 30 foot (1972-1979) offered similar floorplans with the optional "hammock bunks" as well.
Any of the above coaches even when not configured with the factory optional bunks could be retrofitted with custom bunks in the center bedroom with comparative ease by someone with cabinet building skills.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk bed