Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Blue Ridge , Texas
Newbie - 1966 Overlander

Ok. So im 27 and I just purchased my very first Airstream. A 1966 Overlander. Can anyone give me some advise on where to start this renovation. I know that the Ac has to be replaced as well as the Furnace converter, hot water heater and the refridgerator. I just would like to know if there are any places that could help me out with some of this stuff. I am a teacher in North Texas and have wanted one of these since i was a boy. So basically I need to know where to start!!!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Congrats and welcome, take lots of pictures and post what you think you'd like to do. Meanwhile you can search different forums for repairs to see if you wanna tackle the project yourself or can live with it. I've seen 30 year old Airstreams that look like they rolled off the assembly line and ones that I wouldn't store trash in, that were being camped in.
Good luck

Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I would start with what you need to start using it. Water sytem, gas system, refridge. Then move on to what it needs to tow it. Axles, tires, bearings, brakes & safety stuff.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and to Airforums.com, Red! You found the right place to find out how to put your new-to-you Airstream in order.

Get used to the fact that if your TT (travel trailer) needs ALL that stuff done (and that is believable), it will take a fair bit of time and something over $3,000 in parts.

Or, you could get it done fast, if you are willing to spend more and use someone else's labour.

In the meanwhile, in your place, I would concentrate on making absolutely certain that you have NO leaks where water can enter the shell and degrade your prize. Use the Search mechanism and read read read! You're a teacher, so that shoul be easy for you, right?

And how about a few photos of the interior and exterior? We love photos..
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
As far as what to start on, in order of importance, I'd look at the following categories:

Safety -
This includes axles, electrical system, battery venting, external lights, hitching and towing. Making sure the sewer system is sealed and sanitary is also something of a safety issue.

Preservation -
This includes sealing up all leaks and potential leaks around windows, doors and vents. Also look for areas where the floor might be soft or rotten and replace before further damages is done. Look into rear end separation.

Comfort -
An aluminum tent is a lovely way to camp. Any amenities make it even better. Test the operation of the plumbing, water heater, stove, fridge and air conditioning. Consider replacing lights with LEDs to get more illumination out of your battery for camping off the grid.

New upholstery, different interior materials or color schemes, even different interior layouts can increase your enjoyment of your trailer. I'd recommend camping in it first before making final decisions about what you want and need.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Blue Ridge , Texas
I have some windows that don't open because the cranks are so worn out. Where can I get new cranks and rubber for around the windows to make sure they are sealed
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Vintage Trailer Supply will have what you need. Sometimes they are out of stock though. The windows have serveral gaskets. A bulb on the inside and a flanged rubber on the outside. You need to measure and add up the total length, because they are ordered by the 20 foot increments.

Tags
1966, 1966 overlander