Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Wink new owner of a 1976 globetrotter,20'

Just purchased a 1976 Globetrotter.It is in pretty could shape on the exterior but the interior requires work.I would like to talk with other Trotters and all other Airstream owners for their advice on parts for it and other things I should Know.Good to be back in the forums and I will keep you posted.

Ray
nu2argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
you will be pounced upon and...

... welcomed with open arms.
thence, INSTRUCTED!
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

looking forward to travelling

Thanks for your reply Summerkid.It was a 12 hr. return trip to see the unit,but I did see great potential.Now I just have to return to pick it up.I am thinking of putting it on a flat bed for it's first trip back to it's new home.The tires seem good but I donot know what kind of shape the axle or breaks are in.Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

Ray
Old 04-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
don't forget...

... there are drivers galore who will bring it home for you. i've heard a dollar a mile, sometimes $1.25
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

"tires look good"

Trailer tires always " look good ". They rarely wear out, but they do rot.
Some say to replace tires every 3 or 4 years. When I bought my
trailer, the tires " looked good ". I made it four feet and got a flat.
Running gear ( tires, brakes, bearings ) are usually the first things to
replace. Curtains and cushions are supposed to be at the bottom of the list.
Mandolin Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Are you moving it within Canada or are you importing it from the US of A?

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Congrats!

Hi Ray - isn't it exciting!

We have a '69 Globetrotter and are refitting her ready to attend our first Rally in the end of May.

If you have any questions - feel free to PM us - we are not experts but might be able to pool together resources - living in Ontario.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the feed back

I am moving it within Canada.Its only about 270 miles from where I live.I was told by the guy I bought it from who intended to stay it this summer while he renovated his farm house.Fortunately for me his plans changed and he put it up for sale and I got my trotter.He bought it recently from the original owner who changed the tires not long ago.There is evidence of grease inside the hubcaps as though someone was lubricating things recently.I will bring all of the tools I hope I don't need just to be sure.As for someone hauling it for me, I have not heard of this, and it sounds interesting.Do they use a flat bed?I really do appreciate all of your feed back.It is funny the rush of feelings I have gotten over this purchase.Great joy to anxiety.I will be happy to have it in my yard and crack my first beer in it.I will also be looking for parts for this years model, lighting fixtures and misc interior decor.Exterior looks complete, but we will see.Thanks again to all, we will talk soon.Ray
Old 04-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

hello Peter and sharon

Hi, just got your thread.I am happy to know a couple of other streamers in Ontario.I am happy you are enjoying yourselves, it is alot of fun.Thanks for the offer and you can be sure that I will be in touch, to say hello or to get advice.All the best to you, Ray,just east of Ottawa.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Ray;

Sent you a private e-mail via this forum - not sure how to check if you have got it. Noticed that this end does not keep a record - so not sure where it went??? Should have used the PM I suppose.

Just in case the e-mail went nowhere - I was asking if you were the lucky guy who picked up the Trotter from just south of Peterborough in the Millbrook area? If so is it not a 67 as opposed to a 76???
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #11
Redrover51

Hello all, my wife Mary and I will pick up our 1978 Argosy in the morning. I just traded our 2000 V.W. beetle for it, online, and we are really excited! We have owned a 1971 Excella 500, a 1969 Argosy 26 Ft. trailer, and we are coming home! We tried a 36 ft. diesel pusher, and they are just TOO BIG!. The Arg. we bought has 36K orig. miles, and 7 hrs. on the genset. This can be a little problematic at times (Low use), but the elderly owner started the motor and all ele. quite often. The interior is almost as new. and only two very small exterior boo-boos. Both awnings are new, as are the tires and airbags. No, I an NOT selling her (notice it's already genderized), I am just as happy as I can be! I did hear however, that the starters can be troublesome?, anyone have a fixit solution? Thanks for allowing us to post, and we look forward to our trips to San Diego, and Kalamazoo Mi. Anthony and Mary Zarola, Crossville Tn.
redrover51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Whoops, I should say 67 trotter

I just spoke about all of the feelings that I have experienced since this purchase , and there you can see the effects that these feelings have.I am just so excited about this that I can not even get the year right.It is definately an Airstream, definately a Globe trotter but it is definately not a 1976 but definately a 1967. Thank you to my freinds from Lakefeild Ontario for straitening me out on that.I cannot tell you all of the trailers I have missed in the last couple of years, and I finally got lucky!Thanks again, Ray
Old 04-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Congratulations

Hello.. We are in Peterborough.. and are friends of Sharon and Peter.. we just got a 1975 26' Argosy last month and just love it.. we already have a 1976 25' Tradewind but will be selling it and keeping the Argosy.. the Argosy is so much easier to fix things on and all the systems are easier to get at.. and oh just love those wraparound windows.. My MOM is making new curtains for them now.. Hubby is doing the system checks and getting the plumbing fixed.... Will you be at the spring Rally in Richmond? Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Ray-

Congratulations on your new Globe Trotter!

Just read your last post, a '67 GT! We have one also, she's a sweety. Have been working on it off and on since fall (thank goodness that my husband is a mechanic!) at the rate that we are going we will probably have it comfortably on the road late in the summer. The down side of my husband being a mechanic is that he wants everything in PERFECT running order, while my son and I can't stand the waiting.....

The interior of ours is in pretty good shape, all the appliances are now working but I want to do some REMODELING. Oh well, for now I get to start polishing this weekend when we can finally take it out of the garage.

You can find trailer transporters listed at www.airstreamtrailers.com

As far as parts Inland RV is on my speed dial.....

Good luck!
Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Congrats on your new to you airstream. I just bought a 65 Globetrotter in Ontario, near Niagra on the Lake. I tell ya Canada is an untapped resource for Airstreams. I think I was as excited as you are. I still dream about airstreams almost nightly. See pictures http://www.airforums.com/forum...highlight=Katt
I am very happy for you and we sound a lot alike, worrying about the axle etc. My dad towed it back to Pennsylvania for me and said it towed great. Good luck. I can't wait to see pics.

Katt
Old 04-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thankful for all

I would just like to say thank you to you all for making a very happy time in my life even better.You are all very encouraging.For me this is just like finding that special marble when I was a kid.I quess I still have it in me.These are those waves in life that are alot of fun to ride.Thanks again and best regards to all, Ray.