Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
New "living room" in our 2008 30' Classic

We just had our new "living room" remodel competed a week ago at Airstream.

For pictures and info about the changes see:

The Trailer

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Very nice looking living room! Obviously much more comfortable than the original sofa!

AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Looks nice... love all the cabinetry. Very functional, yet easy on the eyes.

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Easy on the eyes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankandLois View Post
Looks nice... love all the cabinetry. Very functional, yet easy on the eyes.

/Lois
Hi Lois,

Yes, it is visually quite pleasing and the storage is definitely needed.

Right you are about it being easy on the eyes, but at a slightly optional, additional cost. I now am missing the proverbial "arm and a leg", as the saying goes.

Jim

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
I now am missing the proverbial "arm and a leg", as the saying goes.

Jim
Our kids took care of that for us....
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Very nice! Those chairs look very comfortable. Do they recline?

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Swivel Recliners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
Very nice! Those chairs look very comfortable. Do they recline?
In a word, yes.

They also swivel.

Not pictured are the two foot stools that we also purchased with the chairs.

We have been in the trailer now one whole week since the work was completed. We have most everything (finally) stored where it will most likely stay.

The shoe storage by the door is the one thing that we really wanted and we are VERY happy with it.

The printer cabinet is the second most appreciated item because it is off the top of the cabinet which is now available for general clutter; something we find we are very good at in very small periods of time once we have dropped anchor somewhere.

Having the sewing machines out from under the dinning table is also a huge improvement.

These foot stools are much easier to shift about. The old ones had double duty as foot stools and file cabinets. With the file drawer it is much easier to keep things organized and it is also much easier to access things.

The reaming space behind the chairs is used for lots of little stuff that we like to have along but don't access too often.

We are very happy with the result. Jon, the Airsteam tech who did the work, deserves a bonus as far as we are concerned. It's too bad he will only get a portion of what we paid them. While we had the basic idea he came up with lots of good ideas and suggestions. And, most important, his knowledge of what would and would not work was truely priceless.

Jim

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Jim,
Looks great AND practical.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Jim -

Nice!

My wife and I had owned a 2004 30' Classic Limited (also with twin beds)that we sold about a year ago. We always wished that we had a couple recliner chairs rather than that damn uncomfortable couch, but we never kept the Airstream long enough to act upon our desires as you have done.

So, we disposed of the Airstream, bought a new Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel, and outfitted it with 2 Lane leather swivel recliners. We looked at Ekornes like you apparently got, but the models we liked best were also the most expensive - about $2,500/chair as I recall.

I've often wondered why Airstream management doesn't build trailers from the ground up exactly as you've retrofitted yours. It would be a lot cheaper that way. I guess they figure after 80 years of keeping their heads in the sand, there's no need to listen to what customers want.

The only question I have about what you've done is that it looks like the chairs are pretty close together, especially if one or both are being turned to face sideways. Is that a problem?

John
Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
They did a great job with your 'wish list' and I can see why you would be very happy with your newly outfitted 'stream! Love the shoe storage area!
Kat
Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Jim,

Looks great! What affect did this mod have on the weight of your Airstream?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Ah yes, the Monkey fabric....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
Jim -

Nice!

My wife and I had owned a 2004 30' Classic Limited (also with twin beds)that we sold about a year ago. We always wished that we had a couple recliner chairs rather than that damn uncomfortable couch, but we never kept the Airstream long enough to act upon our desires as you have done.

So, we disposed of the Airstream, bought a new Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel, and outfitted it with 2 Lane leather swivel recliners. We looked at Ekornes like you apparently got, but the models we liked best were also the most expensive - about $2,500/chair as I recall.

I've often wondered why Airstream management doesn't build trailers from the ground up exactly as you've retrofitted yours. It would be a lot cheaper that way. I guess they figure after 80 years of keeping their heads in the sand, there's no need to listen to what customers want.

The only question I have about what you've done is that it looks like the chairs are pretty close together, especially if one or both are being turned to face sideways. Is that a problem?

John
Hi John,

I remember looking at your trailer when you had it for sale; especially the fabric on the sofa and dinette. Very unusual. I have read your tale of woe re; your Airstream. I am happy to say that we have had none of the problems that you did.

All things being equal we have been pleased with the build and quality of our trailer. But, having siad that, I would not want one of the initial units that will be manufactured when the factory reopens after this 5 week shutdown that is currently in progress.

After we took the factory tour I am amazed that anything that comes out of the factory works at all. Too much manual labor and hardly any automation provides too many opportunites for errors IMNSHO.

Each chair swivels without interference. This is needed to get to the drawer on the curb side open and to get to the book shelf on the street side. Right you are about them being the Ekornes chairs; as well as them not being cheap. NOTHING about this project was cheap.

The Ekornes chairs have a small foot print, swivel about without rotating off axis and recline with a minimal use of space to the rear of the chair. They do require some space to the rear. If you look closely you will note that the bottom portion of the cabinet to the rear of the chairs comes into the trailer more that the upper portion of these cabinets. This is to provide ample room for the chairs to recline.

This is our home; we are full time. And we debated long and hard and lived in it for 9 months before we made the decision to make it the way we wanted. I doubt that this will be the last of our modifications. The terrible mattresses are now higher up on the "hit list" for replacement.

We also considered 5th wheels but decided that we didn't want the weight or size of a 5th wheel. After traveling on two motorcycles and then one sidecar for the past 8 years we feel like we are living in a palace. We have more space than we know what to do with.

Another item not shown is the table that mounts in the small black tube that is located between the chairs; the tube is actually attached to the curb side chair. The table swivels about and we use this for the computer.

We also had two additional electrical outlets installed in the lower portion of the cabinetry behind the chairs. These feed a power strip that is in the space for a satellite box on the street side and a small lamp that clamps onto the computer table it we want to use it.

Jim

Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Weight??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Jim,

Looks great! What affect did this mod have on the weight of your Airstream?
When we had the couch in the trailer and the fold up tables, the trailer weight was 8,800 pounds with a hitch weight of 850 pounds.

I have not been to a scale to weigh the trailer since the work was completed last week. But given the weight of the couch and the tables that were removed I don't think we are anywhere near the GVW for the trailer.

I will be weighing the tongue in the next few days. I expect it to have a tongue weight of 925 to 950 pounds.

I suspect that the trailer weight will be about 9,250 to 9,500 pounds, still under the GVW.

The Airsteam folks did not think that what we were doing would be an issue related to weight; I asked this question specifically. Truth be told, this is the main reason we went to Airstream for the work. We felt that they could do the work with minimal weight and maximum strength. And, it would match what we have in the trailer already. Plus, waranty issues do not raise their ugly head this way.

I have built cabinets for a previous home we owned and it is a task that is NOT for the faint of heart. Finish carpentry work for cabinets is very much an exact science and to get everything to fit in an environment that is square is tough enough. To do it in a travel trailer where nothing is square or level is more than a challenge. And this doesn't take into account the fact that the walls run on an angle which makes things even more difficult.

This is why I wish Jon the Airstream tech could have received the majority of the money we paid for the work. He spent four and a half days doing the install. The wood work itself is something that Airstream farms out to another company. The wood work is lovely but the installation took a lot of work and there was no room for error.

Jim

Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I believe you will really like the chairs instead of the couch. We sure like ours.