Old 11-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I love the modification Jim. You really put the luxury into the Airstream. It looks terrific and is very well thought out for your needs. I can attest to the comfort of that special leather, ooooo that's so soft and luxiourious! Another 2 minutes with my feet up and you and Verna would never have gotten rid of me. The cabinetry looks wonderful.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
NORSEA - How Very Cool!! Just beautiful. I have the same trailer and have given lots of thought to removing the sofa & installing "wall away" recliners. But I never dreamed of the new "floorplan" of cabinets. I really like what ya'll have done. I have to wonder if Airstream might see how comfortable & functional your "living room" really is and make it an option??
Jim

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Airstream options???

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
NORSEA - How Very Cool!! Just beautiful. I have the same trailer and have given lots of thought to removing the sofa & installing "wall away" recliners. But I never dreamed of the new "floorplan" of cabinets. I really like what ya'll have done. I have to wonder if Airstream might see how comfortable & functional your "living room" really is and make it an option??
Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm not sure anyone other than the Airstream tech's in the service center has seen what we have done.

Based on comments like yours I suspect that there are some folks out there that would be interested in a configuration of this type.

But, having said that, I suspect that the vast majority of Airstream purchasers want to be able to have sleeping accommodations for a family that would require the use of the dinette and the sofa bed for children of the boy/girl variety being able to have separate sleeping accommodations.

I do think that they could sell this configuration. But, the dealers would have to be in favor of it. As I understand it, Airstream only builds trailers for orders from dealers. This means that they do no build something and force it on the dealer network. They do prototypes if they can get sufficient interest from the dealers; like the new Pan American toy hauler. If the dealers place orders based on the prototype in sufficient quantity they will then move forward with a new configuration and build a minimum number of units that meets their break even point.

I have been told that they have to produce 35 units of any given configuration before they reach a break even point on their engineering costs. For something like a change that involves only cabinetry like ours, I suspect that this number would be much lower given that 35 is based on a completely new trailer configuration.

Perhaps people should point their dealers to our web page and ask them about purchasing one like we have.

Or go to Jackson Center and talk to Keven (Tech Supervisor) and Jon about having something custom made as we did. FWIW, we cashed in lots of savings bonds that we had accumulated over the years of our working lives to pay for our remodel.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I love the modification Jim. You really put the luxury into the Airstream. It looks terrific and is very well thought out for your needs. I can attest to the comfort of that special leather, ooooo that's so soft and luxiourious! Another 2 minutes with my feet up and you and Verna would never have gotten rid of me. The cabinetry looks wonderful.
Hey Carol,

You'll get another chance at the Can Opener, eh? Perhaps we can even supply a little wine to help you drift off....

Jim

Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the details and the pictures. Looks ideal for a pair of full-timers. I still want the option of bedding another pair of adults, but I LOVE seeing the cabinetry work as that is the key to a great looking/working arrangement. I have too much space [!] at the front of my trailer (no dinette, for example) so threads like these are instructive.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Eden , North Carolina
Thumbs up Awesome!

The changes that you made are great! My husband and I live full-time in our 25 foot Safari and our couch is SO UNCOMFORTABLE! We are trying to decide what to do with ours. That is a great idea! I priced a replacement "leather" couch with installation at $2800.00. Could probably make some of these changes in this price range and have so much more comfort.
BTW/Where do you hang coats?
Thanks again
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Hanging coats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalley316 View Post
The changes that you made are great! My husband and I live full-time in our 25 foot Safari and our couch is SO UNCOMFORTABLE! We are trying to decide what to do with ours. That is a great idea! I priced a replacement "leather" couch with installation at $2800.00. Could probably make some of these changes in this price range and have so much more comfort.
BTW/Where do you hang coats?
Thanks again
Right you are about the couch; that was the driving factor in our modification. We spoke with the couch manufacturer to determine the feasibility of having a higher quality foam installed only to learn that what we had was "the best".

And yes, the cost for a new couch and/or modifying the existing unit was not cheap. That is why we decided to spend a small fortune on the two chairs and foot stools. The past weeks since we have had the chairs have been wonderful. For the first time since we purchased the trailer I have been able to sit and watch TV and not have the circulation in my legs cut off due to the steel bar that was on the front of the couch pressing against my leg so much when the foam compressed.

As for coats, we have a closet between the galley and the shower. It is not as large as we would like but, OTOH, it does help keep the quantity of "stuff" that we haul along to the necessities; otherwise known as the bare minimum.

We also have two closets at the foot of each of the twin beds; I converted one by installing shelves. We find that we don't have that much "stuff" to hang up.

The days of dresses and suits are long gone. If we have something that we MUST attend that requires more "formal" attire we buy something at a used clothing store and give it back when we are finished. This is a lot easier than hauling stuff along that you only use when someone gets married or dies.

Full timing is NOT for everyone and it is especially not for those who need to have a different wardrobe for every day of the month.

Jim

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Eden , North Carolina
Wink Modifications....

My husbands parent were full-time Missionaries/Evangelists and lived in an Airstream for 30 years, traveling constantly. We are following in their footsteps and since we are in Churches, have dinners to attend and then travel and camp our wardrobe is varied. We have one 14 inch closet that is mine and my husband has the 10 inch one above his bed. His 3 suit jackets are in mine. I absolutely love our "home" but occasionally wish it was a little bigger. Storage is the biggest thing as we have everything we own in our 25 foot home. Off season clothes are in "Space Bags" under our couch which has been a huge blessing. We are in New York this year until after December 9th. Woo Hoo!! So we have to have winter clothing as well as summer.
I loved the storage setup you have around the front. We have 2 laptop computers plus a printer (that sits between our twin beds in the back-only reason we got the twin beds is we needed the nightstand to put the printer on)
You gave me some idea's.
Thanks,
Cindy
Old 11-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Jim:

We have a 2005 Classic 30 that we modified by removing the credenza in the living room (behind the dinette seat) and adding an ekorne recliner in place. Works great for us; we are not fulltimers. I can't show any pictures as the trailer is now in storge for the winter.

The ekorne recliner is very comfortable.

Your modification looks great.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote