Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
tucson , Arizona
New inside skins

I posted this before however my wording did not explain in detail what I was looking for. Has anyone replaced the interior alum. walls/ceiling with something like "Formica" or forming plywood ( 1/8" thick available in many wood types) and instead of using rivets or screws, glued the new skin to the ribs instead? This would leave a clean looking surface but would the glue (adhesive) hold up?

On another note……I'm replacing my roof mounted A/C unit and want one that is quiet, efficient, short (low in height) in a 9-12K BTU range. Any suggestions would be great.
1966air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966air View Post
I posted this before however my wording did not explain in detail what I was looking for. Has anyone replaced the interior alum. walls/ceiling with something like "Formica" or forming plywood ( 1/8" thick available in many wood types) and instead of using rivets or screws, glued the new skin to the ribs instead? This would leave a clean looking surface but would the glue (adhesive) hold up?

On another note……I'm replacing my roof mounted A/C unit and want one that is quiet, efficient, short (low in height) in a 9-12K BTU range. Any suggestions would be great.
Your idea of replacing the interior metal with wood or formica, has a number of issues.

Remember that the principal method of construction is called "monocoque" which means "load bearing shell".

The inside shell of metal is just as important as the exterior metal for shell strength.

Should you weaken that strength, your asking for many problems.

If you want wood or formica on the inside shell, you would be safe and without issues, "IF" you attached those materials to the inner metal.

In that way, you would not have weaken the overall shell.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
In addition to Andy's point, Formica is brittle and cracks easy unless mounted to a sub strait. If you placed formica over the frame, one slight knock to the inside panel and it would crack. - my guess is first trip down the road it would crack all over.

It would be a shame to do all the work and have this happen.

Josh
78SovIntl31 is offline   Reply With Quote