Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
New Here - Introduction

Hi All -

Here is my first post so please don't kill me, here it goes. I was planning on rebuilding an older AS trailer to travel in but we have since gotten into riding horses and need to take them along.

So I am remodeling an all aluminum horse trailer with with a 4 x 8 living area + a queen size sleeping area.

I am posting on this forum because all of the horse trailer forums, don't think beyond building a "little house on the prairie" cabin in your trailer.

I am much more of a mid century modern fan and this board supports this much more.

My plan is to build out the living area, strip and polish the trailer and have my "sorta airstream" horse trailer.

Thanks in advance and I hope that you wont fault me for a different trailer.

tr0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Tr0y... sounds cool ... as we are a visual bunch... please post photos of your progress.

Also, check out the various threads here on what folks have done to modify, restore and personalize their Airstreams. May give you some really good ideas.

Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Having seen some horse trailers like you describe, I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Take a look at the Airstream PanAmerica, Airstream, Inc :: PanAmerica. It's a toy hauler, just for different toys than horses.

And, as Bill said, we want to see pictures.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Most people around here like anything that is silver and shiny. Welcome to the Forums, and I look forward to following your progress on your trailer. Please do post pictures as you move along through your renovation, and as you suspected, there is a ton of information on this Forum about RV systems in general, and not just Airstream-specific details.

There are many people who have gutted their Airstreams all the way to the shell, and then rebuilt from scratch. Those are known as the "Major Renovations" and what you're about to do certainly qualifies as one of those. So I highly recommend that you read through the "Major Renovations" that are linked below, they will be invaluable to you as you learn about all of the things that go into a total rebuild, like electrical systems, plumbing, carpentry, and everything else. Many of these threads are lengthy and span several years of time, but they are worth the time.

Good luck and keep us posted!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to the forum!

Question: are horses sound sleepers? I am serious, because with the size they are, if they aren't, you will definitely hear them since you will be in the same TT, right?

Also, what methods do you envisage for odour abatement? We lived on a farm when I was a kid, and from what I remember, that's certainly going to be an issue, I would think.

And no, we won't kill you. We hardly ever do that!
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Sounds photos of your progress.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
I can't wait to hear about your work. I recently became interested in horses and have been volunteering at the arena for barrel riding and obstacle shows and at a couple barns. I feel a bit old to start getting involved in horses but I am enjoying it. A couple friends that I have made there are anxious for me to get my own horse, but I'm not ready to take that responsibility. They were really surprised when I told them I bought the airstream awhile ago -- and told me I should have been getting a horse trailer with living area. Well..... I just don't see that happening. Two weeks ago I did tow my A/S to a dude ranch with all of them and their horse trailers, etc. It was fun - but for now, my A/S fits my life real well. Please send some pics of your progress - and you'll get lots of ideas on how to make it what you want!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi again Tr0y,

Take a look at this thread for ideas: Check out post #90, ianrjam created a very innovative design for his 1978 25' Trade Wind.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
Wow that is a great looking trailer interior. We are drawing up ours right now.

Trying to figure out the best way to do walls, not sure if I want to go thin plywood finished well or maybe a soft-touch leather like material

Ill post the blueprint when I finish it.

tr0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello and welcome to the forum - you will find answers here.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Welcome...You will find answers to every question you might have on this forum. At least I have. Everyone is eager to help.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
Wink New member

Hello and welcome troy:
I am a new member also here. well I have actually been reading all the tips and info everyone has given and I THANK YOU ALL. Some real awesome post.
My father past away last week and he left me a 1971, 31" soverign International which will need some major updates to make it road worthy.
I am located up in Maine and have to haul it from NH . I am looking forward to my first haul and upgrades. Allot of you have some great photos and stories and thank you for sharing them.
Viper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
1963 22' Safari
Southern , Illinois
Troy, I work in the horse trailer field and an not aware of any of the aluminum manufactures using any type of coating on the aluminum, You can polish without stripping and this should save you a step and $$$. Good luck with the project and welcome.

jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote