Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
New Bambi Closet Remodel

This isn't a big deal but I was excited about my first AS improvement project.

The closet in my 2011 19' Bambi was a lot of wasted space, unless I took my Airstream to weddings every weekend and needed to hang a lot of dress clothes. I tried one of the hanging shoe storage but the space behind them are all wasted and they're flimsy. So I built in some shelves and put in a much smaller hanger section for a couple of jackets. My requirements were to give storable access to every every inch of the closet and to not fasten or screw into anything existing (I'm still nervous about making any permanent holes in the new interior). So these shelves are free standing with pressure/friction keeping them solid. The middle support follows the wall curve which was for sure the hardest part.

Anyway, hopefully someone with a closet project will find this useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030585.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	137876   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030587.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	137877  

Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Wow. Awesome job!

I spent a lot of time today organizing the space on our AS today. I really like what you have done. That green organizer is really cool. What's that called and where did you find it?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhx4 View Post
Wow. Awesome job!

I spent a lot of time today organizing the space on our AS today. I really like what you have done. That green organizer is really cool. What's that called and where did you find it?
Thank you. My favorite pastime now(when not camping) is micro-organizing the trailer.

The magazine rack is from the Container Store. We also have this thing which has come in handy for keys, dog collars and such. Then you also need their hooks to hang both (sticking to my no holes policy) or these.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Great job. I want to add some shelves to the bottom of the closet in my 16 footer. What did you use for shelving?

Stan
Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I like what you have done. I might try it myself on our Bambi Sport 16.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Iron River , Michigan
I just got my 2005 16ft Bambi 2 weeks ago and im still trying to use every inch of storage...Any other hard to access but still useful space for more valuable storage???

Very nice work.!!!

ED
Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder
Great job. I want to add some shelves to the bottom of the closet in my 16 footer. What did you use for shelving?

Stan
Thanks,
The whole unit was from one sheet of 1/2 inch poplar plywood. It's was thin and plenty strong.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed rottinger
I just got my 2005 16ft Bambi 2 weeks ago and im still trying to use every inch of storage...Any other hard to access but still useful space for more valuable storage???

Very nice work.!!!

ED
I use those power lock hooks like crazy, bought around 30 of them. Once we get into camp I put a few on the outside of the door to hold dog leashes, wet towels, rain coats etc. I also put a bunch at the foot if the bed and hang all our re-wearable clothes. Exofficio type travel clothing really helps there, they pack real small too. I built very simple shelves to span the inside of the over heads in the kitchen to give me double space. Thanks to another poster I used the shower to store ski clothes this past winter.

My next project will be to maximize space and comfort out the dinette somehow.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Great job!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bambi 16 closet storage

BTW, these fit perfectly in front bottom of the closet!

The Container Store > Plastic Stacking Shelves

(the regular not narrow)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Genius just exactly what I was looking for. I especially like the idea that nothing is attatched. What are the dementions of the shelves? Or if easier how long of closet rod did you leave?

My trailer goes in for service today, I leave in 10 days for first ever trip out ( aside from my ASNaps), as soon as I get back, I will have someone build me this. I knew there was something to be done.

So..then does the whole unit slide right out? Thank you for posting this. i love it. Sbb
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
First the bottom shelf is cut to an exact fit. I had a little ledge on the left in there to rest it on one side and put support on the right, screwed thru the top of that bottom shelf. If you don't have a little ledge, you will just add a support to both sides. That sits free in the closet. Then I built the top shelves by shaping one side piece (the middle support) to the curve of the trailer, then just a 12 inch wide support on the other side that sits flush against the right side of the closet. This was so i didn't have to screw anything into the closet walls. The shelves are all measured individually and screwed thru the side supports. The depth of each shelf depends on the curve of the back of the closet. Then the assembled shelf unit is place on top of the bottom shelf, snugly. I screwed up from the bottom shelf into the middle support and put the rod in with enough tension to press the unit against the side of the closet. The kept it all tight, it never moved, and I didn't have to damage any part of the closet.

The hanging area was pretty small. I don't have the trailer anymore so i can't measure but I built the shelf width based on a folded shirt and baskets that I liked. Shelves were probably 9 inches wide. the hanging area was the left over space. The hanging area just needed to be wide enough to be able to get my hand in between that middle support and the left wall. Mine was just a little too tight and I had to be careful not the scratch my hand when hanging stuff. But still worth it for the shelf space and my wife's hand fit fine. If I built it again I would probably start the middle support a few inches back and just curve the edges of the shelves, since they would be sticking out a little from the supports.

If you decide to tackle this yourself feel free to ping me for help. Have fun and post the pics when it's done!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
A very big thank you to AlumFalcon. I followed your photo and post exactly and put shelves in my closet. It is just perfect, such a great use of space. I have not even used all the space yet! I would post a photo but the last time I tried it was a total disaster, posted on the top upside down. My closet looks identical to yours, only I have not painted mine yet. Thank you again for this very wonderful mod. Off again this weekend for three nights, the beginning of my working/pleasure Summer.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
A very big thank you to AlumFalcon. I followed your photo and post exactly and put shelves in my closet. It is just perfect, such a great use of space. I have not even used all the space yet! I would post a photo but the last time I tried it was a total disaster, posted on the top upside down. My closet looks identical to yours, only I have not painted mine yet. Thank you again for this very wonderful mod. Off again this weekend for three nights, the beginning of my working/pleasure Summer.
Great! Thanks for posting an update. I'm glad it has worked out for you. I just finished a similar design in the closet in my new AS. It is amazing how much fun it is to organize our trailers.

btw, upside down or not, I'd still love to see pics if you ever have time.