Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
New Airstream remodel

Hi...I am new to this forum having only made a few posts. We brought our new 2012 25 fb home on Mon. All went well. We had the dinette removed at the dealers. Then we ordered 2 lambright recliners from the Amish Workshop in light oyster ultra leather.I also ordered 6 extra yards of the same fabric to cover the 66" bench lounge. This should arrive in a few weeks. I am hoping this turns out well because my husband was in favor of leaving it just like it was! He didn't even get a chance to use it before I started to remodel it! Well, when we got it to the storage lot, we brought out 2 of our Ikea poangs (sp) and he settled in with a glass of wine and he was very happy. We will see what it is like with the new chairs. I measured everything over and over . My husband will reroute this heating duct and build a cover for some electric wires and the woofer ( I guess this is what you call it). Luckily, he is handy and as you see a good sport! I will send pictures when it is done if I can find out how to do it. I am much Better at demolision!
Dmgkag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sounds like good idea for the two of you... Not sure if room to store old parts in case you need to sell in near future, but if you keep it long enough it won't matter.. I'd be sure you let husband find way to anchor chairs when traveling, as the rearmost 5' of trailer does a lot of bouncing around on the road, and if the chairs get airborne or fly forward in hard stop it could be a real mess... Looking forward to pictures.. (Actually, the Ikea Poang chairs (bent birch) look like they'd be good for sitting inside as wll...)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We also have the 25 FB and have thought about replacing the dinette with some recliners, PLEASE keep us posted on your remodel

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Gary, we will be glad to keep you posted. Pictures tell the story best so when it is finished, we will take some.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
The good sport (husband) is cutting a piece of oak to cover the end of the lounge bench. This is where the rerouted heater outlet will come out. Luckily the heater is under the lounge and not the dinette. That would be slot more complicated and I would never get my two recliners. The only things left are a cover for the wires that run very close to the floor and the woofer on the other side. I am hoping this will fit under the recliner or we will make a cover/small table for that. I removed the original bedspread..green brown, heavy,not cozy and I ordered a new one from Pottery Barn with blue and white stripes. It is actually a duvet with comforter. You ladies know what I mean. Sounds like a lot of fussing but GRANDKIDS are always WELCOME!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Would be anxious to see photos of the completed project.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Dmgkag...we have two Lazy-Boy leather recliners in our Classic 34 & it's been great !!

Dec In Bradenton 2 036 - Photo Gallery
Join the Facebook A'34 group today !!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/206443579449380/
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the comments about our recliner project. Condoluminum...we kept all the original parts so we could convert it back (my husband thinks of these things). Castaway and Tater...I haven't checked out how to post pictures yet..any tips? Paul Ouellette...loved the picture of your recliners! It is more of a challenge to put recliners in the 2012 25ft. but we did it . The lambright recliners swivel almost all the way around enabling us to enjoy the view out the back window (no room to put up the footrest in this position but we can use the attached tables). When we swivel back around and face forward, my husband can extend his footrest all the way (he is by the door). Mine swivels around and I use the end of the lounge as my footstool. This way.we can both put out feet up and look directly at the tv. For dining, we use the attached tables or our table outside. It is a definite improvement in how we use the space. On my side the clearance to do all this swiveling and not hit the window latch or the end of the lounge is down to around an inch on both sides but it clears! I ca even swivel around so my back is to my husband so I can look out the window and not have to look at him all the time...you ladies who have been married for 40 years or more know what I mean and maybe some of you who have been married for fewer years know what I mean too! A picture is worth a thousand words but I am better at words than tech...I will try to learn.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Recliners versus the "Goucho" Couch...

My wife's idea to remove the original Goucho couch and replace it with a couple light-weight recliner chairs from IKEA was a good one, for sure! The chairs give us both a real comfy seated position that, I for one, could never acquire from sitting on the Goucho. The chairs swivel and recline come with footstools - and are covered with easy-to-keep-clean faux leather. NICE!

Anyone else out there converting to recliners?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior front recliners 2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	174821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior front recliners.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	174822  

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
It looks very comfortable, MaxAB
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Dmgkag, I haven't attached photos before but I believe you can use the attach button. We just traded our FC for a classic that had sofa removed and double recliner. PO didn't finish anything off so we got a good deal. I appreciate this thread so I can get some ideas on how to proceed.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My current 5er came with a recliner, I sold it and replaced it with a comfy office chair. Does everything but the foot rest. I was thinking about pulling the door side dining seat on my future 27.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Attached is a link with modifications we made to our 25' Flying Cloud FB. So far, so good. We're happy. Use the AirForums search function to find and see more recliner mods. Russ

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ble-86598.html
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
To attach photos use the square box in the bar above the box you type in, it looks like a picture of mountains and Sun ( second last)

If unable to do that you email them to me.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote