Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Need to punt here

OK, there is a chance that I have to revise the floor plan here. How important is it to have a "big" kitchen.? I'm trying to keep as much open space as possable here.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
How important is it to YOU to have a big kitchen? If you're not keeping her original, may as well make it fit your taste.
dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
OK the reason I ask this question is there is a new camper on the way and that means I have to fit six people in the trailer now.........
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need to punt here

Greetings Tedd!

This is where functionality is more important than square footage. What I would suggest is to assemble a sampling of what you would expect to have in your coach's galley area for a typical trip - - then decide what you will need as a minimum for pantry-type storage, equipment-type storage, and refrigerated storage; then you can make a more informed decision regarding the minimum space that you will need for the galley. To get an idea of the minimum counterspace that would be desirable, have the person who normally will be doing the cooking try cooking a camp-meal in your home kitchen utilizing only the counterspace available in the propsed configuration for your coach (mark the perimeters with masking tape to simulate the boundaries) - - an exercise like this will demonstrate quickly the practical minimum counterspace needed. Each of us tends to have unique travel needs and euipping a coach to accommodate six will take some planning. I know that I fight for pantry-type storage in my Minuet while I feel like I have a good deal more storage than I need in the Overlander - - counterspace would be a problem in both coaches if I were cooking for a group (I will admit to rarely cooking in either coach as dining-out is part of the Airstreaming experience for me).

Good luck with your planning!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

dining out, ah yes. with six to feed you might have to sell the airstream ! we are remodeling also and since we eat out quite often our kitchen will be minimal, however there are only two of us. i'm looking into a grill under the easyup and doing most of the cooking outside. i'v allready removed the 200 lb gas only icebox and have a 3way dometic thats half the size. we moved up to airstreams from three diffrent teardrop trailers so our 57 bubble seems gigantic ! our 67 caravell was to big.
roger n cindy
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Ted, regardless of the kitchen size, congratulations Somehow I have the feeling you'll have room enough. We spend only as much time inside as necessary, thinking that cooking outdoors in all but the rainiest weather is a top priority for camping! However, I do remember how much "gear" a little camper seems to demand. I'm sure you are already thinking multifunctional! Best wishes!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
OK the reason I ask this question is there is a new camper on the way and that means I have to fit six people in the trailer now.........
Tedd,

The previous owner (my uncle) of my two-feet-shorter-than-your-Airstream enjoyed camping with a family of six. As you may recall, my Overlander started out with the center double bed option. The two girls slept there, and the two boys slept on some sort of portable bunk bed in the walkway. Aunt & Uncle were obviously on the front gaucho.

In fact, they took the Overlander, along with my grandmother, out to California for a month in the early seventies! Since the girls were pretty small then, they & Granny fit very comfortably on the double bed.

My wife's family used to enjoy trailer camping a lot when her grandfather was still with us. When they had big get-togethers, it was not uncommon for someone to end up sleeping in the back of the Suburban.

You may want to check with Pizzachop for bunk bed ideas. He, his wife, and their six children make camp with an Overlander.

Hmm, maybe you just need to downsize to an Overlander
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Is your style such that the AS is an alternative to tents or are you cabin types who go to the campground and don't come out. Likely somewhere in between. It's your trailer. If you don't want a kitch leave it out. Where are you going to camp. I prefer the state parks by a factor of 100:1. I preferr setting up an area outside, cook on the firerink fire, eat at the picnic table, ect. Like tent camping without setting up the tent and no sleeping on the ground. A modest kitchen of a small sink and one gas burner should be included for rainy days. If you are only going to areas with shower houses then leave out the shower also, or put in an outside shower for the kids.
For those of us who were tent campers these trailers are great empty, add what you want. With a young family you'll get alot of use from it if it suits your use. Congrats and enjoy.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Kids can sleep on floors you know. Tent a couple of the older ones.

That many mouths to feed I would think having the kitchen space would be even more important when your trying to make 6 plates.

Looking at the 67 on VintageAirstream.com here is what I would do to maximize space.

Pull the over heads over the twins and go with bunks. On the stret side you could go with a perment bunk that would be about the size of the existing. The curb side might want to do a fold up style to make it easier to the bath. Might even hold off till the baby is bigger to convert that side. Redo the Goucho to make it comfee for You and the wife. Youngest in a Bassanette till old enough for one of the bottom twin beds.

That would leave the kitchen intact and be the least work with the most sleeping space and the least chance of upsetting the weight distribution of the coach. If some storage space is needed I would concider redoing the Curb side area and turn some of that counter into enclosed storage. It would also be the easiest to put back stock once the kids are older and it back tou you and the wife.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I'm now starting to think that I can put the over head locker from the street side bed over the windows in the front room. That way the kids have a litte room over there heads in the bunks. The wife mentioned something about useing a "net" type curten on the lower beds for the small ones.....

Now that I think more you are right on needing as much kitchen space as possable to prepare meals for six mouths
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 09-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Now that I think more you are right on needing as much kitchen space as possable to prepare meals for six mouths
Probably true. However, if you are talking about camping, as opposed to extended road trips, there are some things that might be more important than others. For example, a three burner range/oven is a large space user. Will you use the oven? If you use an outdoor grill as often as I do, a two burner cooktop might be plenty, giving back substantial space. One thing I find necessary is a large sink. However, most RV sinks are shallow, divided sinks with two bowls neither of which is large enough to be useful. I went with 25" single bowl which is physically smaller, but much more useable.

On the other hand, for six I'd want more than an under-counter refrigerator.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The one thing that seems to be a common thread with just about every one I talk to, is "Put the largest fridge in ther you can fit" Hec at this rate maybe I should put in two
Never mind...
I was thinking that the current sink ( I do not know if it is original ) is very shallow, but usable. I may set it up out side in a piece of plywood and try doing some dishes to see how well it will work.
On the stove, I was going with a 4 burner range set in the counter. That way when it is not in use there is counter space. When it is in use the counter is now in the living room.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
The previous owner (my uncle) of my two-feet-shorter-than-your-Airstream enjoyed camping with a family of six. As you may recall, my Overlander started out with the center double bed option. The two girls slept there, and the two boys slept on some sort of portable bunk bed in the walkway. Aunt & Uncle were obviously on the front gaucho...
Tedd,

Just for you, I have acquired the original "bunk-cots" my cousins slept on during the California trip. I think I am missing a center support for the top cot, but here is Number 1 son demonstrating how much fun they are to rest on. I had a later picture of both Boyz on the cots, but their mother balked at me posting a picture with them in their BVDs.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BunkCots.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	9257  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
When we had our 18' Traveler, there were four of us - wife in I in one bed, one on the table/bed and one on the floor with a portable cot we have. Very comfortable for us. Now the kids are old enough not to hang with us, so we now have a 25 footer for two of us - go figure that one! 28' should be fine as is if you want.

Congradulations on #6 - enjoy them as much as you can - the greatest thing I did was shove the family (from babies) in a small space - first popups, then the Airstream - I think we are all much closer for it for all the really great times we had. Really miss those times now that they are grown.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Large Family, No Problem! (well, okay, maybe...)

Ted,

With 6 children (#7 on the way in Feb), we have had to be a bit creative. First thing (after replacing rotted bathroom floor and refinishing bath), I ripped out the wardrobe/drawers opposite the gaucho (mid bedroom-rear bath 27') and built bunks. They are sturdy, large enough for an adult (up to 200 lbs anyway), and freshly stained so they nearly match the dark fake walnut interior.

My children are 10, 7, 5, 4, 2 & 1 so all but the little one sleep in the bedroom. The littlest sleeps in a porta-crib in the living area with us. (None of that family bed stuff in our Airstream!)

I plan to build another bunk over the gaucho (folding type) that I saw on this sight.

Is it tight? Yep!! Is it fun? Sure!! We did 3300 miles from Georgia to Colorado and back (8 days) this summer and had a blast. That's what we acquired it for.

As for kitchen area, I agree that 4 burners on the stove is overkill. The two shallow sinks do require some creativity and there doesn't seem to be much room to allow dishes to dry. I haven't figured this one out yet but I'm working on it. Bottom line...you're only going to get so much spaciousness with a 28' TT. Make sure you get a refrig that works on propane. A larger size would be nice, but let's face it...you don't have that many options. We travelled with a large ice chest in addition to our refrig.

I just returned from an overnight near Chattanooga with other forum members. I brought my 4 oldest (wife was scrapbooking in So. Georgia and left the two little ones with grandma) and it went very well. There is a routine that we follow, and we're perfecting it with every trip.

Remember that line of Clint Eastwood's in "Heartbreak Ridge"? Improvise, adapt, overcome!

My next project is to build a wrap around dinette to seat 8-9. I've already cut the wood and laid it out. It will be strong and it will be light. Best of all, it should yield a nearly queen sized bed. I mean, who cares about original restoration?

My point is, it can be done.

Here's a pic of my bunks along with a pic of the bunk I'm going to build over the gaucho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunkdet1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	9263   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunkover.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	9264  

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote