Old 10-27-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Large Family, No Problem! (well, okay, maybe...)

With 6 children (#7 on the way in Feb), we have had to be a bit creative. First thing (after replacing rotted bathroom floor and refinishing bath), I ripped out the wardrobe/drawers opposite the gaucho (mid bedroom-rear bath 27') and built bunks. They are sturdy, large enough for an adult (up to 200 lbs anyway), and freshly stained so they nearly match the dark fake walnut interior.

My children are 10, 7, 5, 4, 2 & 1 so all but the little one sleep in the bedroom. The littlest sleeps in a porta-crib in the living area with us. (None of that family bed stuff in our Airstream!)

I plan to build another bunk over the gaucho (folding type) that I saw on this sight.

Is it tight? Yep!! Is it fun? Sure!! We did 3300 miles from Georgia to Colorado and back (8 days) this summer and had a blast. That's what we acquired it for.

As for kitchen area, I agree that 4 burners on the stove is overkill. The two shallow sinks do require some creativity and there doesn't seem to be much room to allow dishes to dry. I haven't figured this one out yet but I'm working on it. Bottom're only going to get so much spaciousness with a 28' TT. Make sure you get a refrig that works on propane. A larger size would be nice, but let's face don't have that many options. We travelled with a large ice chest in addition to our refrig.

I just returned from an overnight near Chattanooga with other forum members. I brought my 4 oldest (wife was scrapbooking in So. Georgia and left the two little ones with grandma) and it went very well. There is a routine that we follow, and we're perfecting it with every trip.

Remember that line of Clint Eastwood's in "Heartbreak Ridge"? Improvise, adapt, overcome!

My next project is to build a wrap around dinette to seat 8-9. I've already cut the wood and laid it out. It will be strong and it will be light. Best of all, it should yield a nearly queen sized bed. I mean, who cares about original restoration?

My point is, it can be done.

Here's a pic of my bunks along with a pic of the bunk I'm going to build over the gaucho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunkdet1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	9263   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunkover.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	9264  

Ron Kaes
Psalm 112