Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

1988 32' Excella
Little Genesee , New York
Need the sofa bed replaced

Hi,
I need to replace the fold down sofa bed in my 1988 Excella. I can no longer tolerate sleeping on it. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions in how to construct something? Also, my frig has lost it's seal. Other than that it works great. How do I remedy that. Thanks so much for the help. I am located in Western New York south of Buffalo.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Is the sofa bed just no longer comfy due to worn out foam? If so just take it to a local upholstry shop and have them refoam it. Easy! May even change the fabric out for a change of scenery while your at it.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We recently replaced the gaucho (airstream sleeper sofa) in our 89 excella. We needed more seating in the living room. The gaucho was across the front of the trailer, and with seven children we wanted something which would wrap around to seat us all while still becoming a comfortable bed for my husband and me. It also needed to be light and not too expensive. We retrofitted a used ikea fagelbo l-shaped sofa and a separate Ikea chaise to make the a u-shape. It is exxtemely comfortable and with two little ottomans and a small table which fits perfectly and folds up to store under the chaise, it can seat us all for rainy-day movies and dinners. It did take quite a bit of modifying because of the curved wall. One side of the l-shaped sofa holds a popup trundle which makes a great queen bed, and the other has a hinged seat which lifts for storage.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #4

1988 32' Excella
Little Genesee , New York
Repair of sofa bed in 88 Excella

Thank you all for your creative and affordable ideas. I really appreciate it and will make one of them work I am sure!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We recently replaced the gaucho (airstream sleeper sofa) in our 89 excella. We needed more seating in the living room. The gaucho was across the front of the trailer, and with seven children we wanted something which would wrap around to seat us all while still becoming a comfortable bed for my husband and me. It also needed to be light and not too expensive. We retrofitted a used ikea fagelbo l-shaped sofa and a separate Ikea chaise to make the a u-shape. It is exxtemely comfortable and with two little ottomans and a small table which fits perfectly and folds up to store under the chaise, it can seat us all for rainy-day movies and dinners. It did take quite a bit of modifying because of the curved wall. One side of the l-shaped sofa holds a popup trundle which makes a great queen bed, and the other has a hinged seat which lifts for storage.
Would you be prepared to post a picture? We're just about to purchase a 1984 Excella and are looking into replacing the built in sofa with something more comfortable and practical.

I'd love to see what you guys have done.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hi Alihan2222:

My 1967 Safari has two of those sofa's during the day that make into beds at night. Several years ago, I didn't pull the shades during storage and sun damage caused the fabric to rot. I've covered with blankets, using masking tape, and other items to keep something covering the sun rotted material but it isn't satisfactory.

Just this week after checking out upholsterers, I placed an order with HouseFabrics & Rugs. (They are a chain). Their price for the two "mattresses" is $529.39. The Airstream dealer quoted me a price of $1500.00.

I don't know the quality of any shops workmanship, but I'll know when these are done if I got a good deal or not.

Just some more information for you to maybe help with your decisions.

Don
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

1975 31' Sovereign
Christiansburg , Virginia
Skatiero, Any chance you have photos of what you did? We want to build something like that, maybe just L-shaped for our new front pull out bed. We don't want a dinette, just a bigger seating area. We only have one kid currently but will be living in the Stream full-time for a year or so soon. Thanks!! You can email me, too, at tangowoman@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Recliners

I replaced our old uncomfortable couch in our 1976 31' Sovereign with 2 leather recliners. These are wall away recliners and are bolted to the floor. I built a small lamp table/cabinet between them and modified the fold up table so everything fits perfect. Very Comfortable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliners-in-AS.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	187469
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

interior remodel couch not anchored

I had water leak damage that required a complete gutting. The wood up front was fine . Replaced wood in the rear and topped it off with the best linoleum money could buy. Problem- the couch was not anchored down. I had to fire the man that was working on it after he could not/would not finish the job. Brought the AS to the local AS dealer. They anchored it with .50 cent wood screws and charged me $100. Needless to say, as soon as I pulled out the drive the couch came up. I got a a refund and gave them their screws back with an emphasis on "screw" Question is, the linoleum is covering where the original holes are and what kind of hardware do I use?
Now I'm at another shop with equal displeasure in their service. Dropped it off yesterday at the appointment time 8 AM. 3 PM in they had not touched it. I'm staying in a hotel at $90 a night. Why don't these people honor their appointments? So, if nothing is done today I'm going to figure out how to do this with AS forums help. Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
1975Sov, I think I have some pics of it in the gallery if you click on my name, but I will try to post some more.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I didn't see any installation pics, but I like your interior.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Rookie

2007 23' Safari SE
Helen , Georgia
I have been eyeballding tearing out my sofa and doing something like this custom built one. I think its just crasy enough to work.
Part of the Fedex Retiree Club (37 years)
martyhardy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
We put a small Ikea L shaped sofa in our 67 Globe Trotter to replace the gaucho. It makes in to a full size double bed and is really comfy. It is incredibly easy to manage, too. The "chaise" side of the sofa lifts up and has a great storage compartment. We love it! We have pics of it in our gallery.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyhardy1 View Post
I have been eyeballding tearing out my sofa and doing something like this custom built one. I think its just crasy enough to work.
This looks genius. I could use the base of my gaucho to get started, then go from there.