Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Valrico , Florida
Need Mattress Recommendations

Need to replace the mattress in our 2005 Safari Airstream. Have read the reviews on the old Airstream mattress, but would like to hear any feedback on the mattress they are putting in the units now. Trying to decide whether to buy their new one or to go somewhere else to look. Thanks for the help.
Annie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Airstream Mattress Options

Rocky Mountain Mattress will make a custom Airstream mattress with the radius corners. Here is a link to the website:

Rocky Mountain Mattress Airstream
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My wife and I bought a memory foam mattress from Walmart. We cut the twin mattresses out of it using a standard issue electric knife.

Been installed for two years now and there really are nice to sleep on. It was also a lot cheaper than having custom mattresses made.

Enjoy the journey.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I will second Rocky Mountain mattress. We got the Latex mattress (the thickest one). We sleep just as well as at home (maybe eve better since we are in the Airstream!). It was a little spendy but worth every cent. No achey hips or sore backs in the morning. It did take the a week longer than originally promised to get it delivered. Otherwise we thought the service was great.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You can order foam in various thickness and firmness from companies online (buyfoam.com) cut to the square dimensions you want. Then cut the radius with a knife to conform to your bed size as suggested above. Add a 1" or 2" memory foam topper and get a custom Airstream sized mattress cover from AB Lifestyles to hold it all together.

As good as any custom made mattress at half the price.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
mojo, excellent recommendations. Thanks!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
For those going the Rocky Mountain route what was your price since they don't list prices on their website?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
We recently purchased king size slabs of foam from thefoamfactory.com in Michigan with good success. We just converted from a short queen to two long twins, so we cut the foam in half and then used a cardboard template to get the curves right. The base layer is 5 inches of dense lux foam, and we're putting 3 inches of latex on top. The dense foam cut fine with an electric knife, but the latex has been harder to cut. Still working on that... So if anyone has advice on cutting latex, please let us know! Oh, and the cost for both king size slabs of foam was just over $550. I'm going to attempt to custom-fit a waterproof encasement that I'm getting from Amazon.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Need to replace the mattress in our 2005 Safari Airstream. Have read the reviews on the old Airstream mattress, but would like to hear any feedback on the mattress they are putting in the units now. Trying to decide whether to buy their new one or to go somewhere else to look. Thanks for the help.
What size mattress are you looking for? I have an excellent foam short queen for sale in the classified section of the forum, and I see you live in Florida too. Just a thought...!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We ordered the 8" Rocky Mountain mattress in Dec 2012 with several discounts of the day and our cost for one to fit the strange 25FB design was $635 delivered. We also ordered two of the 3" king size form pillows for $149.90 for the pair delivered. The custom 600 thread sheets we had ordered from Airstream fit the 8" mattress perfectly and would have been real loose on the 7" factory mattress.

We were limited to the 8" height because of the Airstream sheets we previously ordered. Even so, the top of the mattress was even with the top of the "bed side" table of the 25FB.

In June of 2013, we ordered a left and right twin 8" mattress set for our Classic model 30 from Rocky Mountain with fewer discounts and the price was $579 each or $1,158 delivered. As the trailer is still at the factory (30 days since starting down the production line on 20mDecember with small parts still on back order), we have not unpacked the mattresses and tried the custom Airstream twin bed sheets for fitment.

This past December we ordered two more of the same pillow design for our home and they were $180 for the pair delivered.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Original Mattress Factory

We ordered a custom queen with 2 rounded corners (so we could flip it) for our A/S. The extra curve is on the opposite diagonal to allow for ease of walking around also. Was maybe 8-10" thick and fit like a glove.

We particularly wanted an innerspring (vs the foam) and it sleeps wonderfully. Cost was about $500 2 years ago. I picked it up in Atlanta. They will deliver to any of their stores for no extra shipping.

You have to decide what TYPE of mattress you desire first.

Hope that helps..
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We tried the tempura foam on the mattress….didn't work!

Finally we installed a Sleep Number bed…Camping World had a sale….and we LOVE it!!!!! I can't believe we tried so hard for so long find another solution.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Big Forged Chef's Knife

Rollster,

I used my J.A. Henkle's 12" forged chef's knife to cut my foamfactory.com 5lb foam mattress to the shape I wanted. It worked just fine. Just get a razor edge butcher's knife and you should be good to go. Makes a nice clean cut; not a saw cut like I would think an electric knife would do.

I made a set of bunkbeds for the kids that replaced the gaucho in the front of our 34.

In the back, I replaced the twins with a platform across the back and have a house Queen sized Simmons Beauty-Rest plush top firm. It's better than what I have in the house.

If you can't sleep, you can't enjoy the vacation. Spare no expense on the bedding! (Jim's Sage Advice )

See ya on the road!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I ordered our mattress from amazon.com from Dynasty Mattress or something like that. It is extremely comfortable and my husband and I sleep like a baby = memory foam type mattress. I'm thinking the queen size was around 5-600. and worth every penny! Good luck!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Another vote for rocky mountain mattress and a suggestion...

If the mattress you currently have is in decent shape (but uncomfortable) you might look at one of their 3 inch latex mattress toppers and just add it to the top of the existing mattress. The Latex is amazing to sleep on and you would save a bundle of dough. You can order them cut to shape and with a cover or you can cut it yourself pretty easily with an electric carving knife. The latex is NOT like memory foam. It's soft but supportive without the body pitting that you get with memory foam.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Valrico , Florida
Thanks…agree that the coil spring is the way I need to go..the foams are just to hot for us.
Annie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollster View Post
...the latex has been harder to cut. Still working on that... So if anyone has advice on cutting latex, please let us know!
The factory uses a bandsaw with a guard that exposes just the edge -- hard to duplicate.

I've had good luck with a sharp electric knife, the kind used to carve turkeys. Go slow and separate as you go.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Thanks…agree that the coil spring is the way I need to go..the foams are just to hot for us.
Too hot may mean that the foam layer is too thick and not able to breath adequately in warm Florida weather. If you have a spring base, it should allow a 1-2" topper of latex foam to breath properly and significantly improve the feel of your mattress.

Disclaimer: related party --> try http://sleeponitnow.com
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
The factory uses a bandsaw with a guard that exposes just the edge -- hard to duplicate.

I've had good luck with a sharp electric knife, the kind used to carve turkeys. Go slow and separate as you go.
Thanks for the help. We've tried the electric knife, but maybe we'll try the band saw. And, like you mentioned, separating the foam as you go does help!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollster View Post
Thanks for the help. We've tried the electric knife, but maybe we'll try the band saw. And, like you mentioned, separating the foam as you go does help!
Sorry if I wasn't clear -- the factory has a guard that exposes only the edge of the bandsaw because a standard bandsaw blade will NOT work. It will pull the foam down into the base.

A reciprocating kitchen knife will work well, if sharp. If you don't have luck with that, a sharp hand saw will work.