Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

gainesville , Florida
My trailer smells like mothballs

hi, i'm new to rv'ing. i have a 2008 31 classic. ever since i bought it it had a strong smell like mothballs. i've tried everything to air it out and have had the trailer for months now. when its closed up it still gets pretty strong. when you open the cabinets the strength is strong. Could it be the glue they used to build and if so does everybody have this smell?
thanx, stuart
stuartkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it smells like mothballs, it's probably mothballs. It probably either smelled musty, or like dogs, and the PO added mothballs somewhere you haven't found them yet, or they've disolved into the carpet where they were. Try vacuuming everything in the trailer, even the curtains (gently). Put n open box of baking soda on the floor in a central location, and leave the trailer for a couple of days. Come back and check for the naptha smell then.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Did you buy it used? Maybe the PO used moth balls during storage? Here's a couple of links that may help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4453525_get-...all-smell.html

http://www.imtek.biz/page/N/CTGY/sp-moth

Good luck but it sounds like charcoal, heat and a good airing out for a month is the only way to get rid of the smell.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used mothballs in my old SOB. I couldn't smell them after a spring airing out....but my wife PROHIBITED them when we got the AS. Apparently she smelled them all year long.

Are you sure you're not smelling ammonia from a leaking fridge cooling unit?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

gainesville , Florida
thank you for your help. weve tried baking soda and airing it out for days. yes it had a po and was sold at auction. also the smell really bothers my wife more than me and she is the one insisting its mothballs.

Is there a possibility that it could be construction glues or something like that? it always seems stronger if i have been gone a few days and the unit is closed up.
again thanks for the great response.

stuart
stuartkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It should go away if it is aired out significantly on a repeated basis. Are you SURE there are not still actual mothballs hidden somewhere? I used to find the areas under cabinets, in floors, in storage compartments where likely entry point would be for mice and place them tucked away somewhat hidden. Look EVERYWHERE.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartkaye View Post

Is there a possibility that it could be construction glues or something like that?

stuart
My trailer is new. It came with a warning about the use of adhesives and bonding agents in the materials used for construction. I don't smell them, but many people are far, far more sensitive than me to such chemical odors.

Materials like MDF, which are common in RVs, have lots of chemical agents in them, like formaldehyde. There is an instrument that will actually measure the air for such chemicals. I would call your local Heath Department and see if you can bring the trailer to them and have them analyse the air. I'll bet they can. Good luck - I hope you get it sorted out!
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
GI disturbances

GI eruptions will either eliminate the mothball odor, mask it, or make you wish you had it back. So chow down on what ever creates the biggest bang for your buck.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
OO mothballs, looked at old 66 Porshe 912 the smell o the smell I had to pass.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
As a 2008 I would assume that the glues/plastics have finished off gassing. If it truly is mothballs that can be tough. I have an old trunk that despite having sanded and resealed it, it STILL smells like mothballs.

I sent my son to college with something called an Bad Air Sponge , seems to work LOL Bad Air Sponge® - Bed Bath & Beyond

I'm guessing that the PO tossed some somewhere where you haven't found them yet, check any openings in the belly pan. Good luck! Like your wife I am extremely sensitive to smells. Mothballs are only slightly worse than skunks.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
We bought our trailer used and the previous owner had moth balls in small plastic bins stuck in every nook and cranny, as well as several in the outside storage lockers back in the corners. Once we found them all a good airing out took the smell away. We also vac'ed the carpet after a liberal dose of powdered carpet cleaner, followed by a pass with a rug doctor carpet cleaner.
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
My wife said to try this: buy a couple of big boxes of dryer sheets, and leave them all over the entire trailer, in cabinets and lockers, under things, EVERYwhere.

Shut it up for a week or two, then let it air out. Those dryer sheets are potent!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I can still smell the plastics and construction materials in my '05 at times, but it smells nothing like mothballs.

Like the other suggestions, I'd suggest looking around for a few tucked away in an out of the way place. Perhaps something like the water pump compartment, etc. there are a few pull off panels in mine.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
My wife said to try this: buy a couple of big boxes of dryer sheets, and leave them all over the entire trailer, in cabinets and lockers, under things, EVERYwhere.

Shut it up for a week or two, then let it air out. Those dryer sheets are potent!
I'm not entirely sure they smell better than moth balls, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

Much werst actually...

Korn beef and cabbage should do it...

Bob
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What about an ozone generator? I would not use one for extended periods because of their detrimental affect on plastics but it should be able to eat the smell as opposed to covering it up.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Yes, I won't argue that, but their scent doesn't hang on, like mothballs.

Korn beef undt cabbage!? :yikes!:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Clean the carpet with resolve carpet cleaner and spray the walls down with 409. Wipe down all surfaces with 409 or similar cleaner. If the closet has carpet probably best to take it out and replace it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"hi, i'm new to rv'ing. i have a 2008 31 classic. ever since i bought it it had a strong smell like mothballs"

Stuart,

Just noticed it's a Classic, rip out ALL the carpet in All the storage compartments. PO may have balled that area too.
Our's got a terrible mold/mildew smell after getting soaked from leaks.
I re-covered with modular plastic tiles.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07552.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	151641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07563.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	151642  

Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
You could also try some more agressive ventilation along with your cleaning. Maybe a couple of box fans and see how much air you can move (if the weather permits). Be sure and open all the cupboards and drawers too! Sure couldnt hurt. mothballs, AKA paradichlorobenzene, can be pretty tenacious stuff. Wow, that high school chemistry class came in handy after all
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote