Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
For a trailer that has sat in a lot since 1972?
From what we were told on the plant tour, I assumed it has been outdoors for a long time, just sitting there in the sun, rain snow...... Surely they at least keep it sealed well.

Edit: rebuild might not be a good term. I got the impression it was restored and re anodized, although I don't think they said when. (obviously quite awhile ago)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Question: can anodized aluminum be polished?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
yes, after you remove the anodization. Doing that is virtually impossible.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
um, I think he's talking about a rebuild around 1972. Plenty long enough ago to need another one.
Right, sometime back then the gold trailer was sold privately and had modern windows cut into it. The factory got it back and rebuit it bact to original with new gold aluminum. It has since faded from sitting outside.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
That's a shame they wouldn't restore that thing! They should pick someone on the forum who has a few restorations under their belt and pay them to redo her...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
That's a shame they wouldn't restore that thing! They should pick someone on the forum who has a few restorations under their belt and pay them to redo her...

What they need is indoor storage for several old ones they own. Come on a pole barn ain't that expensive.... Heck around the corner and down the street, the old Henschen plant is sitting empty. Rent some space!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It is sad. There should be an Airstream Museum up there. At least covered over if not enclosed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
It is sad. There should be an Airstream Museum up there. At least covered over if not enclosed.
I can never remember the tour guide's name, but he mentioned that a museum is the intention, but there's never any money to do it.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
When I worked in a factory that anodized aluminum, they put yellow dye in the bath so that you could visually verify that the anodized coating was present. If they don't put dye in the plating tanks, the coating is clear (aluminum colored), and you can't visually tell if the aluminum has been anodized. However, if I recall correctly, you can tell with an ohmmeter (I think the anodized coating has high resistance, when compared to bare aluminum).

The yellow dye used to vary quite a bit, from almost clear to deep burnt orange/brown. The actual color didn't make any difference, since anodize was used as a temporary coating to protect the aluminum parts until they could be painted.

I wonder if the "gold" finish you see is an anodized coating, because I think that anodizing is really thin and not very durable. The photos above look almost like paint. Also, it looks kind of wrinkled, not a typical surface finish for anodize.

Regarding polishing an aluminum panel, if this is a soft anodized coating, polishing should remove the anodize easily. However, it could be an electroplated, hard anodize finish, which might be much more difficult to remove. Perhaps, others on this forum with more plating experience could enlighten us.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I believe it was ORIGINALLY anodized. Don't know what was done when they restored it. You can't re-anodize without taking the panels all off, can you? They may have done something else during the restore.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The "wrinkled" panels are off of Darkspeed's 72. The pics of Wally's trailer don't look wrinkled.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I can never remember the tour guide's name, but he mentioned that a museum is the intention, but there's never any money to do it.

You think they would want it in the front entrance to the Airstream Plant....BUT on the other hand that might encourage people to find a vintage one and NOT buy a new one...
How could this NOT be part of the tour???? Isn't there some history given in the tour?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
You think they would want it in the front entrance to the Airstream Plant....BUT on the other hand that might encourage people to find a vintage one and NOT buy a new one...
How could this NOT be part of the tour???? Isn't there some history given in the tour?
Yes it is, They have 3 old units out in front of the offices, and a few more around to the side. Wally's unit as well as several others are located in a field several hundred yards from the offices and service center. If you walk down the street, and through some backs of some businesses, you can get close to the gold one. I'm not sure, but it look like Wasa climbed the fence?????????

Old 01-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
This has got me wondering...could someone, in theory, use this for patches?:
Anodized Finish Aluminum Custom Cut Aluminum, Inc. - Aluminum Sheets, Aluminum Blanks, Aluminum Coils, Alumacorr, Aluminum Metal Supplier, Printable Plastic Sheets, Precut Sign Blanks, PVC Sheet Distributors with shipping nationwide.