Old 02-24-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

My new linoeum floor

Put this is a few months ago. She is almost ready!
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newfloor3small.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	4931  

Old 02-24-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
very nice! love the color. what does it look like now?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Floor

It's fantastic. It is the real linoeum, like they used in the 50's, made from wood fiber and oils... Hard to find. It's called Marmoleuom (Farbo)- Ruby Red.
I am in the process of putting everything back in the trailer so there has been some real heavy traffic and I am really happy how it is holding up. I am going to put a couple of runnes down to protect it.

Bottom line, so far, I love it.

Bryan
Old 02-25-2004, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Forbo Marmoleum

Bryanhu,

Nice. I happen to have a sample of that floor right here at my desk. I work for a company with a fondness for red so we check just about everything out that is available in red whether we use it or not.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Looks great Bryan!

I LOVE our linoleum which has been down about two years now! We went with a more subtle color for our trailer but I have used the brillants on several commercial projects and was tempted in Max...regardless, it holds up very well ~ I don't think you'll be disappointed with it's durability. Great light-weight alternative to cork, sheet vinyl or VCT...and it's a "green" product for the evironmetally conscience.

Marmoleum

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Shari

In fact your floor provided me with the inspiration to go with the tile. I thought it was so beautiful and very appropriate for the vinatge. I love the red but I made a mistake. For some reason, I thought a red oak finish would look good on all of the interior I refinished - WRONG- God did it clash! So. I had to re-sand the stain off everything! Left it natural and now with the clear, i have a nice honey color that I am happy with.

Bryan
Old 02-25-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bryan,
I love the red too!! We also choose a more subtle color but I was so tempted to use red. Please post a picture with the "insides" in it!

Heidi
Old 02-25-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Love the colour.

I just found a real cool kitchen table in our local antique store. It has the triple crome bars just underneath the crome (real) trimed table table along with the vinyl pad with studs at each end. The table top is sort of like your floor a marbled very 50's-60's red - but the cool thing is that there is like a clover pattern inlaid in a whitegray/silver colour. It comes with only three chairs guess the 4th went by the way side.

I have been racking my brain on how to incorporate it some how either in our A/S or home - or my future office in the Bunkie (small cabin) for those not familiar with the term. Anyway I think I will acquire it and then just figure out latter what to do with it.

It is genuin retro and the old fellow who runs the place is a sweatheart - and sometimes he picks up way too much stuff and sells it off at great prices. Only $119.00.

We are still looking into floors and intend on reading up on all the threads on the different kinds of floor you all have used. (Don't like carpet, and we have two good size dogs, must be none slip type and have a 60's motif - so I'm sure I will have a job with this decision as well.

Can't wait to see your finished refit. be sure and post photos.

SPK
Old 02-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have an older vinyl floor in my trailer, which I am looking forward to replacing. I definitly wouldn't put in carpet, it's so easy now to just sweep out the trailer after a trip, especially with the dogs tracking stuff in.

The vinyl is full of little dents from rocks that get tracked in on our shoes and stepped on. How does the Marmoleum hold up to that kind of abuse?

Looks good, BTW, can't wait to see it against the honey wood cabinets!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Linoleum is much more durable than normal sheet vinyls. It's the same material all the way through (primarily sawdust & linseed oil) where most sheet vinyls are made up of a series of layered sheets of vinyl/plastic/paper backers, which is why it's so impressionable and easily gouged. Linoleum actually gets harder/stronger with age as the linseed oil "drys"...that's why so many folks remember it from their grandma's kitchen! Also, it doesn't gouge very easily and if it does get scratched you can just put a tiny bit of linseed oil on it to hide it.

As far as other options, there are some commercial sheet vinyls that are more "solid" than the residential variety that most people use and VCT is solid all the way through & it's durable with lots of flexibility color-wise.

Shari

Old 02-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Shari

Thank you. Mine is still so new, I am not sure how it really was going to hold up. From what I read, I was confident I made the right chioce. When my friends look into the AS, they ask about the floor, if it was original. Kind of dumb question but it indicates that it is a very correct and fitting choice for the vintage.

Thanks again

Bryan
Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Thumbs up It will hold up fine

Bryanhu,

Not to worry. Linoleum is making a comeback. It is manufactured in Europe. Forbo started marketing it again in the USA. Armstrong Floors got back into the linoleum market again a couple of years ago. For the longest time it was pretty hard to get and selection was limited. Color ranges are muted, soft, natural and limited because of the ingredients in the linoleum. For instance, you cannot get a real white white.

When you mention linoleum and associate it with Grandma's kitchen as Shari did people conjur up negative images. What they forget is the floor they remember was probably already 30 plus years old. No other surface flooring you could do yourself with the exception of maybe solid hardwoods, stone and ceramic tiles would last as long and they probably aren't suitable for Airstreams. Certainly solid vinyls and VCTs would not last as long.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Absolutely NOT!

Quote:
When you mention linoleum and associate it with Grandma's kitchen as Shari did people conjur up negative images. What they forget is the floor they remember was probably already 30 plus years old.
It conjurs up nothing but warm, stable, comfortable and POSITIVE grandma feelings!!!! The fact that it was there in the kitchen, the center of the home where grandma loving cared for her family where the floor is well worn around the stove from all the meals being prepared...I agree the wonderful colors available now are better the second time around...but those are hardly negative feelings! Only warm & comfortable...<insert purring here>

Shari

Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Since Bryan mentions his red floor clashed with his red oak furniture, now I'm worried about what color to choose. I have absolutely no sense of what colors don't go together! Any suggestion for what might look good against dark walnut cabinets? I was just looking at the mermoleum website, they sure have some beautiful blues and greens, but how can I tell what would go?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote