Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
The insulation crowd here is usually pretty easygoing 'Doc, but we do tend toward perfection

Thanks for the description and it's good to have you back!

Rich the Viking

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #30
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
This is a great thread. Thanks for the wealth of information.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Personally, i would prefer a thinner butyl tape, as ANY presence reduces heat transfer. The other consideration is that the firmness of the bond of the inner shell to the ribs is a good proportion of the overall strength of the shell, and having an adhesive element involved would be a lot stronger than having non-sticky prodex. IMHO.

I don't think vapor is a problem, and non-dripping condensation isn't a problem for aluminum or prodex or the foam boatdoc specified. That foam tolerates heat, cold, moisture, flexing, glues well, etc.

Automotive adhesives seem up to the task.
Hi Dave;
I do not believe that Butyl tape will offer you much in insulating. Solids such as Butyl will transfer heat at almost the same rate as aluminum. Second issue is that after a while as the tape settles under high heat while traveling what is going to happen to your rivets? Will they become loose as the inner panels shift during travel? IMHO I do not think that is a sound idea. When installing rivets will the skins dimple in the area of rivets? Can anyone tell me at what percentage rate will Butyl tape slow down heat transfer versus aluminum? Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
The insulation crowd here is usually pretty easygoing 'Doc, but we do tend toward perfection

Thanks for the description and it's good to have you back!

Rich the Viking
Hi Rich;
What is a definition of perfection? I do not think there is a limit when you consider the word itself. Perfection means achieving something best it can be without the cost overriding the benefits. If your benefit comes to a dollar and you have spent five to accomplish it, then perhaps you should re evaluate your meaning of perfection. Can you agree with me? Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thermal Conductivity of aluminum is 250 times greater than plain window glass.

So... pure aluminum is 250, then glass is 1, so the best polyurethane foam at 0.02 is 50 times less conductive than window glass. If that seems like a huge range it is but we use insulation over hundreds of square yards so even that small number allows cold and hot to creep into our domains. But there are issues with trailer alloys used, their contact areas and oxide layers and the what-not.

The issue of the backing compressing is the number one worry. A dense plastic will still yield over time - Polypropylene sheet keeps its structural strength to 200įF and has thermal factor of 0.1 - 0.22, and looking online I see a 4x8' 0.0625" sheet is $60~ to cut 384 linear feet of gasket from. The next problem is 200įF is not a very good temperature limit - anywhere in the USA on a bright sunny calm day that can easily be exceeded so the rivets ease the backing away over time and loosen.

I am seriously leaning to using paper as a gasket just as a bridge to block the instant heat transfer. Something like a heavy kraft paper box tape, or very thin high-temp gasket paper tape, maybe something like an Aramid (Nomex) paper if I can find a surplus cut off of 10 to 15 mil thickness paper.

Aluminum has one nice saving grace - the surface atomic structure almost completely refuses to 'glow' and shed heat in the infra-red spectrum. It's just on that fine of a level the molecule baffles infrared somehow and that is GOOD for using the air space method of insulation.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
"Hi Rich;
What is a definition of perfection? I do not think there is a limit when you consider the word itself. Perfection means achieving something best it can be without the cost overriding the benefits. If your benefit comes to a dollar and you have spent five to accomplish it, then perhaps you should re evaluate your meaning of perfection. Can you agree with me? Thanks, "Boatdoc". "

(somewhat off topic)

In my opinion, perfection is not related to cost or value unless you are trying to achieve the "perfect value" whatever that may mean. There is no perfect insulation or installation. Just the best shot we can take at it.
"we tend towards perfection" means we are trying, each in our own way, to achieve the most perfect result we possibly can, that's all.
In my work, when we see something that looks "perfect" we pay the ultimate compliment by saying " It looks like God made it", which is another definition of perfection depending on your beliefs.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I might be just simple, but perfection is in the eye of the beholder. The older I get the more perfect things look. [Especially women]. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
Question How bout this?

I havent found a place to buy pro-dex in smaller quantinies. Right now I'm just redoing my 24" wide ceiling cavity. Would appreciate opinions on this product available at Home Depot.

Reflectix 24 in. x 25 ft. Staple Tab Insulation - ST24025 at The Home Depot

Thx
Dean
Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
This is available almost everywhere and is very similar to Prodex. If I was doing what you are I would use it.

Cheers,
Rich The Viking
Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Since this thread popped back up, I might give a little update on my trailer. I left the endcaps with the prodex, pink insulation, prodex triple layer setup. Put the end caps back up, and continued on to do the airspace, prodex, airspace, prodex setup. In direct sunlight, I can not feel any substantial heat difference between the two arrangements of insulation. I honestly feel that if there is a difference, it can only be within a few degrees of each other.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
Since this thread popped back up, I might give a little update on my trailer. I left the endcaps with the prodex, pink insulation, prodex triple layer setup. Put the end caps back up, and continued on to do the airspace, prodex, airspace, prodex setup. In direct sunlight, I can not feel any substantial heat difference between the two arrangements of insulation. I honestly feel that if there is a difference, it can only be within a few degrees of each other.
Good to know....thanks for the update!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If I understand it right, Prodex has foam between foil while Reflectix has bubbles.

The only foil-foam insulation I have seen in HD is a self stick roll for use as a duct wrap.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
The reflective thing works against foam and fiberglass, just not as well.

The reflectix bubbles are not very robust when it comes to extreme sun heating temperatures.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
The reflective thing works against foam and fiberglass, just not as well.

The reflectix bubbles are not very robust when it comes to extreme sun heating temperatures.
Does anybody have any data to support this claim about the bubbles? I know that they use Reflectix in tent applications that go to extreme places and may encounter greater temperatures than you would see in any place that you would live or camp.