Old 04-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Moving along still many hours of work to go!

Starting to take shape... Boy do we not envy anyone who has to start from scratch with their A/S - what a huge job that would be!

Just giving this one a freshening up is a big job. We are very greatful to whomever started the job for us - taking care of much of the striping and sanding. They had a colour scheme going - Mohogany and Birch. To give the mohongany a bit of a lift I used minwax Rustic Orange Accents stain - very light rubbed in coat. Then giving two coats of polyurethane. (Was thinking of oiling but not a good idea if we are going to use it on a regular basis - need the surfaces to be wipeable - (wagging dogs tails can get dirt in places you never new you had!)

All the cabinet base, closet and seat knee fronts along with the table and the edging of the counters are in this Birch/Pecan paint/stain? This is my next step - on the long list. So I have matched the paint with folkart paint to touch up only - just a few areas such as the counter you can see in the picture. - Tomorrows job.

Everything has a coat of polyurethane and all the cabinet facing doors are done and ready for the brass trim and piano hinge (replacing all the plastic hinges for the foot locker doors) But can't seem to drag Peter away from the Playoffs - Go Leafs Go!!!

After terrential rain fall yesterday I have discovered a couple of leaks - so we desperately need to get up top with the parbon and vulkem!!!!

We have some Awning issues - like we need a new one but can not afford one right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Getting There Slowly.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	6103  

Old 04-20-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
She is so sweet...

Just a couple of other pics...

However I am looking for a couple more biege storage bins - the thin long ones that fit in the kitchen as well as the dresser in attached picture.

And how about that Kitchen Counter - we could go camping right this very minute!!! Oh yeh the tapes are original - just had a bath in Southern Shine - while there is still a bit of pitting - but then I got a bit of pitting at 35 years old too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Master Dresser.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	6104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perfect Kitchen Top.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	6105  

Old 04-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
WOW!! Looks great!! The warm wood tones really are making the place even more inviting. Good idea about the polyurethane because you are right--it is very durable and easy to clean and always looks freshly waxed. What else are you planning on doing? The photos give the whole story!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
How do I start counting the things we have to do still....well just looking at the first picture...
- I have a new hand painted tin tea towel hook- yes Celestial it's
- I have the original chrome foil,wax,papertowel holder that will go back up in that patch spot. Unfortunately sanding the weathered veneer to original would have left the veneer paper thin - so the lighter spots will have to be covered back up. (The one on the front right is where the seat goes which is out right now - while Peter works on the plumbing)
- This year '69 was trimmed out in polished brass so we have decided to stay consistent and will replace all the painted screws with real brass screws.
-The A/C needs a little work - like that horrible yucky drain pipe to be replaced - and someone's lazy solution to the other hole was a copper penny and masking tape.
- Have to find the cream enamel touch up paint for the stove a small spot on the door has to be fixed.
- And of course the floor - which was long debated over - to me conceding to pergo flooring - but not the light colour that most seem to go for - the one that is more orange- cheery it is called (click flooring) - and will be trimmed out with brass edging rather than 1/4 round.
-lighting is another issue - missing the light lenses - but at 30US plus shipping - just not worth it for now - and I hear that they don't give the greatest light so unless I can find some lenses - we may make a brass mesh cover similar to boat lighting.

and that is just what you can see in the picture - oh the left counter needs raising and secured - and then once all is done I move the entourage of new upholstered seats, curtains, pillows and more pillows, the bamboo door and lots of other neat things I can not even remember buying
Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
GT, I have a little piece of stained glass, round, about 8" in diameter, that was made for me many years ago by a friend whom I've lost track of, and it's celestial, which is not particularly meaningful to me. I'd be happy to donate it to you or to the other celestial aficionado who needed a "porthole." It has a golden yellow moon curving round, with a clear star on a cobalt ground. It's really nice, it's just that I have a LOT of stained glass but a Prairie-style house so it sort of hangs around & looks out of place.

Let me know if you're interested or mention it to that other person if you remember who they are... OK, I'm too lazy to look up the other thread, I admit it, but it's FREE, dangit, and that includes shipping!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Summerkid

Oh sooo kind - it would be perfect for my small bifold bathroom door that is two 10" panels - I would love to have it and will certainly pay you for your generosity!!!

Do you have a picture? - I will never be able to sleep now

If there is anything I can keep my eye open for, for you please let me know - we have a free driveway spot for anyone wanting to vacation up this way - say on their way to the Eastern Provinces.

Thanks Sharon
Old 04-20-2004, 08:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Thumbs up

It all looks very nice!

I have a question: did you use a particular product or practice to clean/restore the countertop? I want ours to shine like this!

Doug
Old 04-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
you got it babe....

... better than a picture, how about just PM me an address & the actual thing iitself will be in the mail tomorrow. it has a hanging chain but you could just clip the rings off.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Summerkid
Sounds fine. I have a line on a brass porthole ring trim from a nautical supplier out of Italy - I'm hoping it will fit inside - and then that would be perfect too.

I'll send you a PM right now.

Thanks again -send it snail mail the cheapest (not UPS)

Thanks a million again!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Brass and aluminum are more incompatible than steel and aluminum. If you are going to the porthole in the skin, keep the metals separated.

john
Old 04-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
WoW. Rally looking nice!
I can't wait till I can get to the point of putting the interior back in. I m about ready to just take a week off and get the stuff I havent had time to do done. Wishe ours was in that nice of shape. Hope it will be one day.
Keep the pictures coming!
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Ouch John.... I know I'm new to this but....

I am talking about the interior bathroom door - it is about 3/4 " thick so I can't just stuff the stainglass in and expect it to stay So the porthole trim rounds would work perfect on either side of the bathroom door.

Took the advice on this forum and dropped the idea of cutting a hole in MoonBeam - now that would be a big OUCH!

So we are venting in to the cabin and then up and out through the ceiling fan at the rear.

Geees brass and aluminum who would have ever thought putting those two together - ah maybe Wally Byam - but one inside and one outside. How about Paint and aluminum ahhhh-argosy????

Also a lot of sailing yachts and cruisers out there have both brass and chromed brass up top and brass fittings bellow - which I am kinda partial too being into boats for ah lets say 20 years (both in their place though)

You have a good one now
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

GT, You've got your Airstream lookin "ship-shape". Feel like "Toaster" does ... can hardly wait for mine to look that good.
Mindy WBCCI #5672
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I'm sorry Doug I must have missed your post and question

Quote:
I have a question: did you use a particular product or practice to clean/restore the countertop? I want ours to shine like this!
I guess we were just very lucky that the PO's how many there were?? looked after the counters - she came with the rubber made counter saver with hot plate and dish rack holder - but the dish rack is missing - the colour is the same as the counters.

All I used to clean them was varsol - then a nice clean cloth to buff the counter. But they really do look brand new. I have used Armoural on counters and it works really well to buff them up and hide the scratches.

Now if I could get the bathroom to look like the kitchen I will be a very happy camper