Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
mouse in my house

We had a mouse join us on our last camping trip. I got up in the night and got a couple of crackers to tide me over 'til morning. After a bite, I just left the rest on my bedside table. The next morning the crackers were gone and in their place was mouse pooh. Aside from a cat, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the mice away?
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You need to find where they are getting in. Are you leaving your chains on the ground? umbilical. I personally like the cat idea. I already have one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

there's a mouse about

We went out west this summer and I killed 7 mice. I keep coumarin type poison deep in the trailer under the bed-the mice eat it,leave the trailer and promptly die. I also keep a couple of traps that I can set where I see activity. It's not a question of if you get mice, but when. Be prepared, they can do alot of damage as well as transmit a fatal respiratory infection called Hantavirus. This is transmitted in their urine and droppings. Use gloves and keep some bleach spray to minimize the danger.
Sincerely,
dik
dikku@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
I guess I'll be putting mouse traps on my grocery list...
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If t=you are attached to shore power you can get aa couple of those sonic devices to drive them away. We had a problem where I work and after they placed a bunch of them around the building, problem solved!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Um... don't snack in the middle of the night?
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #7

1970 31' Sovereign
Woodinville , Washington
Sure fire way to get rid of the mouse (which can breed faster than a rabbit) gone is to set a small bowl of bait mixed with birdseed or...crumbled crackers. Inside closets in the back corners, cabinets, anything close to where any line comes inside is usually where they come in. They will feed there instead of wandering further.

Mice are smart as are rats. They also pass the word along there is a place to not only eat but 'drink' from any condensation anywhere in your unit. Its all they need to survive!

While some may have had issues with a stinky dead thing *inside*, the better baits (as in not D-Con) will send them outside in search for greater amounts of water. That way you don't have to mess with disposal or the wonderful SNAP! sound in the middle of the night or find no mouse and no bait either.

Clorox spray bleach is a good cleaner to use on areas that can handle it - and I suggest a good wiping of every kitchen surface and cupboard area to disinfect because they have been there. Vacuum with a HEPA filter on it in closets or anything cloth including the bed. Yep, they have no fear of running over you in the middle of the night to get to the food.
GEARHED is offline   Reply With Quote