Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Modifying our 2008 19' Bambi SE

Hi all, we've been gleaning great info from these forums for a while, but this is our first post. We picked up our 19' Bambi SE new from a dealer going out of business in 2008. We've used it quite a bit in the Northwoods, Smokies and Florida and always wished for a less cramped sleeping arrangement than the small corner bed. We are about to retire and pursue a bucket list of travel options including a 3 month adventure through Canada to Homer, Alaska and a coast to coast run at some point. We are looking at either modifying the Bambi or possibly upgrading to a 23FCFB. I have done some measuring and on the surface we could remove the corner bed, bathroom and vanity and fit in twin beds with a 24" night stand between them, and install overhead roof lockers for storage. We don't boondock and always camp where there are showers and bathrooms nearby, and won't miss the bathroom(except for storage!). We have never used the TV either and could take it out and install a microwave over the fridge. That would take care of two of the big shortcomings we have with Bambi. I would also consider upgrading to 15" wheels if I could. There are plenty of threads about the wheel conversion, but I am interested if anyone has pulled the bathroom and vanity, and if so, what surprises await and what experiences did you have? We anticipate needing to remove/cap off plumbing, reroute wiring and repair siding. We only live an hour from Jackson Center and have an appointment this week to talk to a tech about this and take the tour. We also have a local shop nearby who specializes in RV/trailer repairs and mods and has done many airstreams over the years, so we have some professional help available if we move in that direction. I realize that the Bambi mods won't come cheap, and that once we tear into it, the resale probably drops to pocket change with removing the bathroom.
Of course, the easy button would be to sell the Bambi and upgrade to a 23FB or my dream trailer, the 25 FC Twin Beds, but my wife loves that Bambi and is terrified of us pulling anything much bigger in the mountains. We currently have a 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L Hemi with a 1277 lb load rating per yellow sticker as our TV.
Thanks for any thoughts & comments!
Firefly77 is offline   Reply With Quote