Old 12-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
And isn't treated plywood substantially heavier than nontreated plywood?

Treated wood is normally purchased saturated with water (and the arsenic compound) therefore it weighs more "out the door" than non-treated kiln dried wood.

Once it is dry, the weight is practicaly identical to non-treated wood of the same density.

As far as outgassing, unless you use it for toothpicks or eating utinsels, the danger by exposure to the arsenic compound (once it is dry) is minimal, especially when covered by flooring.

When you consider the minimal amount of time people spend in the trailer, the high number of times the air is changed, and the hidden nature of the floor, the exposure is not even comparable to the dosage received when handling new, wet (saturated) wood, or the amount of exposure when cutting or working (sawdust and moisture contact)with treated wood products.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
The insulation is a 2 part, but I used the spray can also. When I did it I covered the water fill, electrical openings, furnace, etc. with masking tape and sprayed everything. Then cut the openings from the outside and filled any gaps with a spray can.

You will end up with some wires buried but if you do it right the wire itself usually isn't a problem. Run spares and take pictures. Repair is easy because you can cut it out and fill back with the spray cans.

Diesel the Thermalcoat is interesting. I used a latex based ceramic insulation on the top of the inner panel above the driver and passenger. It made a lot of difference. The price was about twice Thermalcoat. That price should make it affordable enough to do the whole interior.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insulated2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	4031  

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Eric---A/S does let you take pics inside the plant, at least they did this Fall when we were there. took all the pics I wanted, even let me inside some units in the building progress. If I knew how to post pics I would have some put on the forum. Alas I'm not computer smart. I think who ever has the opportunity to visit the plant should go, as it's really an experiance to see how it all goes together. Probably makes more sense if you're restoring a unit, as one can visualize all sorts of "possible upgrades"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-s factory line #6-03.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	4032  
Home of the Wayward Wind

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
Foam and Treated Plywood

The good news is that plywood sold after March should not contain arsenic. That's when the law goes into effect.

There all kinds of spray foams. The polyurea or polyurethane types are the ones you will want to use. They have that beer color look. The R value is nearly twice fiberglass. Polyurethanes are used in stress skin panels. I would think between two layers of aluminum it would add to the structural integrity.

There are other types that are sold for filling concrete block cores that are essentially useless. If it sprays white don't use it. Test a sample of the foam to see if it will absorb water and reject it if it does.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 PM   #19
Site Team
, Minnesota
Modern Materials

Good luck on your restoration. I'm doing the same and have considered many of the same questions.
Regarding flooring, I looked at some plastic panels (Codemco, for example). Weights were slightly to a lot more than plywood, depending on material and amount of air incorporation. The lightest was a foam polyethylene, but mechanical properties (Elastic Modulus, etc) were not as good as plywood. I think the best alternative might be end-grain balsa with epoxy resin. There are vendors who will custom make these panels for you if cost is no object. I'm going to stick with high quality plywood with epoxy edge sealant.
For insulation, there are lots of applicators who can spray a closed cell foam. This is a very attractive option. I understand that the quality (waterproofness) of the foam depends a lot on the skill and training of the operator.
I plan to install closed cell foam sheets, where the sheets were made in a controlled factory environment. I think the integrity of the closed cells is probably a lot better. These are polyethylene or polyprop or urethane. I would stay away from the common foam building products that will probably disintegrate with the amount of shaking that a trailer gets.
Here's a site that has info on closed cell foams Polyolefin foams

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote