Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Smile Missing chair

I have a 1995 Excella that is missing its' chair. The couch is in good shape but I need something else to sit in.

I have looked at barrel chairs by Flexsteel but wonder if they are comfortable.

I read a lot and want something that would be comfortable for a a period of time.

Also, can you just sit a chair in the Airstream and not have to hook it down?

What have others done.

In a quandry.

TNSue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsue
Also, can you just sit a chair in the Airstream and not have to hook it down?
TNSue
If you can or can't just sit it in there IMHO it would be a bad idea for it to be loose so to speak. If you happen to slam on your breaks that thing could become a lethal weapon....................

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
What seems so strange though is there was a chair orginally in the RV but there are no holes in the carpet. Wonder how it stayed in one spot. That is why I was asking that question.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
The occasional chairs in Airstreams are NOT tied or bolted down. I've pulled my unit and my previous Airstream many a mile without ever noticing the chair moving one bit. Granted, I haven’t had a major accident, but in that case, there would be a lot more to worry about than whether the chair moved or didn’t. Occasional chairs in motor homes are a different story because people are likely to sit in them as they travel down the road. In those situations, the chair must be attached and must be fitted with restraint systems, but not in a trailer since no one will be riding there.

You don’t have to purchase a chair that appears in an RV catalog. Any well made chair will work for you. The primary considerations should be that it be somewhat petite in stature so as to not take up much room in the relatively limited space of the Airstream living area. It should also be sturdy and well built because of the vibration that is going to occur. Consider a chair with a metal base though this is not an absolute necessity. A base with as much contact to the floor as possible is also an asset such a one with a circular base or one with five feet rather than three or four feet. The only other consideration would be that it be in a color and style that suits your interior décor. For ideas on what originally came in your trailer, look at interior pictures on airstreamphotos.com by pressing the photo button at the top of the page.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Smile chair

Thank you for your reply.
I have gone through the photos but can't seem to find a picture of a chair. Plus my computer is slow loading photos.

I have a rocke/recliner that I bought to put in the A/S and I believe it will fit. I will have to measure its' footprint and height. it looks rather large to fit in the spot I want to put it in.

It has a large round base which I believe will be ok. I am concerned about the weight though. How do you even out the weight when you have something like this on one side?

Quandry after quandry. Questions, questions. but worth it. Love my AirStream.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I agree with GStephens. Our '77 31' came with a factory original chair and it didn't ever move, even driving through Louisiana.

The threat of the chair becoming a lethal object during a panic-braking situation doesn't seem to be likely. Someone would have to be in the trailer during towing in order to be threatened by a loose object.

I know a couple in WBCCI who had their couch removed from their TT. They replaced it with a pair of wingback chairs from their home.

I think any chair that fits you and the coach would be a good choice. You'll probably get a lot more for your money by avoiding the "special RV" chairs.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:52 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The weight of the chair should not be an issue if it can be carried into the trailer . If you have to have movers place it in the trailer then I would be concerned.

If the weight is real concern of yours, have your rig weighed and see how close you are to max capacity. If you are comfortable with your weight, then get what you want.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
chair

Yes, I know someone who removed their couch to have more room, but then you lose your storage.

I will see if the chair I have will fit and if not, then I will have to look elsewhere.

But you are right, not buy a chair expressly made for a RV. Any welmade chair would work.

TNSue
Old 08-04-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
chari

Brett,
Thanks for the idea to weigh after the chair is in the trailer. I can remove the back and place it in the trailer. Not sure I can put the bottom in.

Will have to check this out and see how it goes.

But I will certainly think about weighing it. I do not carry much in my trailer but I need to know the weight.

TNSue
Old 08-05-2004, 03:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I put a Lay-z-boy in mine and really like the fit and comfort.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
chair

I am sitting here looking at my Lay-z-boy and wondering if it will fit. Have to take a measuring tape to it and see.

It is one of the smaller ones so perhaps it will do.

Will check it out today.

Hopefully it will work, would save $$$$.

TNSue
Old 08-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Do what you will. I am always for saving money. However, please remember that whatever you put in there, has to go through the door. Just as important, please also remember that the living area is quite narrow. A lazy boy recliner is going to overwhelm the area and is going to be dificult to move around as needs arise. If you want to see a photo of our chair, click on the Photo tab at the top of the page. Search for GStephens photo album. I think you can see enoughof our chair to get an idea of its size. Our occaisional chair is a "swivel rocker" that isn't much wider than an office chair. We move it about as we "use" the living area. We move it to the back side of the flip out table on the street side of the trailer at meal time. When watching TV, we move it back near the door side on the curb side. You might want to think about more than just how comfortable a chair looks or how much money you might save.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

swivel glider

Quote:
I am sitting here looking at my Lay-z-boy and wondering if it will fit. Have to take a measuring tape to it and see.

It is one of the smaller ones so perhaps it will do.

Will check it out today.

Hopefully it will work, would save $$$$.

TNSue
TNSue, I want to remove my front sofa and put my "favorite" chair in the A/S because it fits me perfectly. It has a round base and sits low to the ground. Because it has a curved back, I think it will match the curve of the A/S. I actually took a picture of it. Maybe I could e-mail the picture to you? I haven't measured it to see if it will fit through the trailer door but if a lazyboy can fit, I think this one will. The dilemma I face is the loss of the spare bed - especially if my mom (egads!) should want to visit!
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
chair

Nettie, GStephens did pose a question in my mind about the Lay-Z-Boy chair. It is pretty heavy so I would have trouble moving it around if I wished to. I believe about 100 lbs and that is a bit much to just pick up and haul even a few feet. I have carpet so it doesn't slide to well.

The back comes off so they fit in any door. It has a circular base that takes up quite a bit of space plus it is a swivel,rocker/recliner.

I may have to give up some comfort due to space problems.

If you remove your couch you could get an air mattress for guests. I have thought of that, but will probably keep the couch just for esthetic purposes. Silly reason, suppose.

TNSue
Old 08-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Talking chair

Oops, forgot to say what kind of chair do you have?

Will have to send you a private message to give you my e-mail address for a picture.

TNSue
Old 08-05-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Oops, forgot to say what kind of chair do you have?

Will have to send you a private message to give you my e-mail address for a picture.

TNSue
TNSue, I sent you an email but not sure it went through so go ahead and PM me and I'll send you a pic of the chair - that is, if you didn't get my email. sheesh.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
It is not necessary to put a chair as large as a Lazy Boy to be very comfortable. We recently removed our sofa/storage unit in the '97 Excella 25 and installed a pair of Ekornes Consul Chairs. http://www.ekornes.com/usa/stressles...sless_stol.htm They are very comfortable and don't overwhelm the space. Another consideration is going to a smaller than the Lazy Boy, wall hugger model easy chair like the Barcalounger St. Claire or Barcalounger Abbey. http://barcalounger.com/products/index.html These look like normal somewhat smallish rocker easy chairs, but when you pull the lever, a head rest slides up into position, the foot rest lifts up and the chair assumes the shape of a recliner. They are quite comfortable, can be placed right up to a wall and still work as a recliner, and in my opinion, the Barcolounger has one of the smoothest operating mechanisms in the business. Again, they aren't going to overwhelm the space. Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:11 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Chair

Bob, thanks a bunch for the information. I will check into the info you gave me.

I have been gone since 8-12 and just came back home yesterday and read you message.

I really hated to put a big chair in there because it would take up so much room.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
there are two barrel chairs on ebay from an older motorhome. These are easily bolted thru the floor with drilling four holes and using bolts thru the bottom. Could be recovered to taste. I found them two days ago., and guess what they are in Tennessee!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2487592012
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Unhappy barrel chairs?

Gosh, I wonder if they are comfortable enough to sit in and read for a spell?

That is what I am wanting one for.

Also I would hate to put holes through the carpet and the love of my life, Mariposa!

I will check it out though, appreciate your post.

TNSue