Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Gypsies@Heart

2003 30' Classic
Roanoak , Texas
Mirror affixed to galley wall

Just brought home our "new" 2003 Classic 30' and I am wondering how to protect the wall next to the cooking area from cooking splash and spray? Thought of attaching a mirror to the wall beside the stove but wondered what cement (glue) would withstand the temp changes and vibration of travel?? Does anyone have any thoughts on this???? I saw some motor homes with sheets of mirror around cooking area and salesman said they worked well because they were easy to clean. Our new baby is so clean, I don't think anyone ever cooked in it.
Hal&Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Hi Ya'll, get a mirror with 'finished' edges so you don't risk cutting yourself. Even a beveled mirror is cool looking. The best silicone sealer I have ever used is a super clear type (about seven dollars a tube, it applies like caulking) and it's called LEXEL, It goes on like thick syrup and will eventually harden into a tough rubber that can be romoved...but for the sake of the mirror you DON'T want any cleaners to get behind it (like vinigar) this will corrode the silver at the edges. So however you attach the mirror, whether it be with brackets etc just be sure it is sealed around its edges in acovert fashion...Lexell dries very clear and you will like it's ability inother places if needed,well hope this helps you. I use Lexel to make stained glass windows and its about the best hardware store product you can buy, good luck with your project...have you ever thot about quilted stainless steel too?
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hal,

I just used those plastic clips and screws to attach mine next to the stove top. As long as you don't take a corner at 90 miles an hour it will stay in place without needing to use any adhesive. The older airstreams came with a mirror usually attached on the wall by the fridge above the dinette. They have a smooth edge and are fairly thick,,probably 1/4 inch. Works for me and is fairly cheap.

Ross
rceptex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Wall cover

A piece of polished stainless would also look nice. Won't break, won't rust, won't go bad over time, easy to clean. You could even have "diamonds" pressed into it if you like. Put it up with double stick tape. Restaurants use lots of stainless for the same reasons.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
sometimes you can see that diamond pattern stainless on the outside of KF Chicken places...I have seen converted Airstreams that are total kitchen cooking areas, and everything and everywhere you looked was that stainless steel
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Gypsies@Heart

2003 30' Classic
Roanoak , Texas
Problem Solved
Well after taking our maiden journey to the Vintage Rally last month, I found that just standing the sink coran cover against the wall while I was cooking, it protected the wall and was out of the way while I was using the sink. By the way, we love our Classy Lady.
Hal&Arlene is offline   Reply With Quote