Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Middle Twins to Middle or Rear Queen?

We have middle twins and would like a queen.

Have been thinking about pulling the rear bath and shifting a queen sized bed to the back.

Are there any queen sized folding beds to keep the bed in the middle?
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I would guess that there would be a lot of different approaches you could take for putting some sort of folding bed in the middle. You could perhaps even use an inflatable air bed that would deflate to take up less space when if is not in use. There are some available that work off of 12 volt power too.

Your biggest challenge with trying to put a queen bed in the middle is that there is no way around the fact that it will block the walk way when it is in use. The twin beds on either side are sitting on top of the wheel wells so even if you take them out you will not have clear floor space to be able to walk around one end of the bed - assuming that you put the bed in cross wise. If it is OK to block the walk way when the bed is in use then you could just add some sort of folding platform pieces that will span from side to side of the existing hall way. You would then just need some sort of mattress or perhaps additional cushions that are level with the existing ones. You could probably fit in a king size bed if you can tolerate blocking the walkway while the bed is in use.

You might consider the interesting bedding product on the following website. It is kind of like a sleeping bag for interior use that would make the process of setting up and taking down a folding bed a lot easier.

http://www.hacksack-leisure.com/hacksack.htm

I hope this helps,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Ther was a thread that I was looking thru the other day and I have been trying to find it again but am having diffaculty finding. So I will expliane a little about it, and I'm sure someone will know about that thread. The guy made a sliding rail setup above the curb side center bed storage compartments, and on the road side made a dressor cabenent with a sliding door that he purchased on e-bay it was a really cool idea and it also looked really nice, then he swaped it all around because of the thermastat switch, when on would make that clicking sound and would wake them, anyways when he switched it all around he made the dressor depth a little less and that gave him extra space between dressor, and bed when fully slid out. If i find the thread I will let you know where to go, but I'm sure someone will know of it and let you know.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rob
We have middle twins and would like a queen.

Have been thinking about pulling the rear bath and shifting a queen sized bed to the back.

Are there any queen sized folding beds to keep the bed in the middle?
Here is what I did to my Trade Wind

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/Gaucho/Gaucho.htm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Balrgn,

Thanks, just right. Are you satisfied with your modifications? Does the bed fold away easily?

An electronic thermostat could do a better job for you and not make any noise.

When I replace the floor and pull the bath I might do just about anything.
Trying to get a wide view of what to do.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rob
Balrgn,

Thanks, just right. Are you satisfied with your modifications? Does the bed fold away easily?

An electronic thermostat could do a better job for you and not make any noise.

When I replace the floor and pull the bath I might do just about anything.
Trying to get a wide view of what to do.

R
We absolutely love the arrangement! The wider hall is nice too, only picked up 3-1/2" but that was enough to make it passable with the bed down @ night. It folds back fairly easy, having a "Futon" mattress make it a slight struggle but the comfort far out weighs that.

I like the bed in the middle, more stable than on either side of the wheels. Lotsa pluming to deal with if your thinking of moving to the back, Toilet sits up on the black tank…

I found a RV thermostat on E-bay, so that problem is taken care of. We did not want electronic, 70’s thing you understand. But then again we have a flat screen..
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-12-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We have a 23' Safari. It came with the couch on the curb side in the middle. It folds down into a double bed. NA! We wanted a King bed so I went to work. We made a platform that easily fills in the walkway. On the road side we have a wardrobe and a short cabinet just below the road side window. I gutted the cabinet. Installed a foam platform at bed height. We sleep in our King size bed side to side (not front to rear). Works great. It does fill in the walkway at night but not much of a problem because we are sleeping side to side.
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
rear queen

hi rob- I have a 27' OL and I changed from middle twins to rear queen, it involves a TOTAL gut and re-do, but there wasn't actually that much plumbing change as you can just rotate the toilet (in my case, not sure about yours at all) on the flange, over the black tank. Anyway, you'd certainly be better off if you can just arrange something in the middle like balgrn did.I only did what I did because I HAD to gut the thing for floor repair, so had a clean slate to work with. My thread is "up-date or leave original on '72?" Best of luck to you- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
For those who are interested I just put a couple pics in my photo gallery of the King sized bed (74" wide).
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Parma , Ohio
Not having the desire to make major structural changes to our 1964 Sovereign, I just made 3 2"x2" supports that sit in brackets between the twin beds and put a piece of 3/8" plywood on one side (under the matress) that we pull over the supports. It does block the walk through and takes a bit of effort to set up and make the bed every night but the solution cost next to nothing and works for the two of us. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestorinanAS
Not having the desire to make major structural changes to our 1964 Sovereign, I just made 3 2"x2" supports that sit in brackets between the twin beds and put a piece of 3/8" plywood on one side (under the matress) that we pull over the supports. It does block the walk through and takes a bit of effort to set up and make the bed every night but the solution cost next to nothing and works for the two of us. Good Luck!
That's just what we did till we found a gaucho to make the modifications
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
We have a 23' Safari. It came with the couch on the curb side in the middle. It folds down into a double bed. NA! We wanted a King bed so I went to work. We made a platform that easily fills in the walkway. On the road side we have a wardrobe and a short cabinet just below the road side window. I gutted the cabinet. Installed a foam platform at bed height. We sleep in our King size bed side to side (not front to rear). Works great. It does fill in the walkway at night but not much of a problem because we are sleeping side to side.

also have a 73 safari and I want to convert to a larger bed, could you detail what you did. what type of platform did you make--Anthony's wife
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
you can see what I did at post #4 on this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ion-21034.html

I never liked a wide bed, 48" is plenty, and you can find what you're looking for in the middle of the night. Not like those king size beds that seem like Lake Michigan! Hey I may be old enough to have flown the Hun, but I'm not dead....