Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2004, 10:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Mid bath as a walk through?

My 1973 31' AS had a mid bath but it was all on one side with a hall next to it. The wardrobe was on the other side of the hall from the bath. I am completely redoing the interioir (it was pretty much all gone to start with) and I am re-thinking the floor plan a little bit. I wondered if it would make sense for me to make the bath a walk through bath. That way the wardrobe and the bath would share the hall. Both areas would seem bigger and maybe could actually be bigger. The shower could open toward the middle of the AS instead of toward the back. Another thought would be to make the bath a walk-through but make it shorter. Maybe put the toilet and shower on one side and the sink on the other. I could use the recoverd length to build two wardrobes on oposite sides of the AS - either toward the kitchen end or the bedroom end of the bath.

Has anyone done something similar?

Any suggestions as to shower construction?

Any thoughts in general?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:24 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I believe I was in on like you are talking about. The toilet and sink were on one side of the hall, and the shower was on the other side. Both opened into the hallway. I might be thinking of NewKid64s motor home, because it's a rear bedroom. I thought it was a pretty cool layout at the time.

As for shower construction, have you thought about building an aluminum walled shower? Seems like I've seen one like that on one of the resto sites - Iowa Boys or Vintage Vacations. I've always wondered how they seal the seams though to ensure you don't get water where you don't want it.

Isn't planning the interior great? You're thinking about the fun stuff now!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
If you're unaware...

Many/most of the new larger A/S' have walk thru bath areas.

Take a squint at the floorplans on Airstream's web site.
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I think there have been some earlier discussions about the mid bath. You might do a forum search. We have the mid divided bath and think it is a terrific plan. I like your idea of creating a divided bath, hall separating shower from toilet/sink (like we have in our '95) and the two wardrobes opposite one another, hall continuing between. I can see us utilizing those separated wardrobes in several useful ways, and the hall between gives a type of dressing room space. Interesting. Good luck with your planning!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

The '83 310 and '86 345 Motorhomes that I had were both mid split baths like you're talking about. Toilet and sink on street side and shower on curb.

The 310 originally had the sink walled in from the hall, but when I redid the bath I took that section of wall out, built a new cabinet and faced the sink toward the hall so that you could brush your teeth without standing with one foot in the toilet. The mirror was a little of a problem because of the curved walls.

When you closed the door to the kitchen and the door to the bedroom you had some floor space in the middle of the bath.

Showers were over the wheelwells and too small in both. If I could build from scratch, I'd put the bath across the rear so that I could have a decent sized shower. Even if I had to put pumps in to be able to locate the waste tanks further forward. But it wouldn't be much of a problem if you always dumped before you towed.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Malcolm,

I drew up several plans to make my '59 Tradewind into a center-bath, but had to give it up due to width problems. I think if I had 4" more width I would try it.

Good luck. Post a drawing if you decide to proceed.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote