Old 02-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
your belly pan may look something like this;

this was taken this past weekend. lots 'o mouse droppings and even a mouse carcass.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
No meeses!...so far

When I first purchased my project there were a couple of mouse turds and a partially chewed bar of soap in the bathroom. The PO had seen these and placed traps but nothing was in them. A few months later I moved the AS to another county and into a machine shed. I placed traps at that as well. One mouse caught. I follwed with sticky traps and good ol Victors + the trick of throwing sheets of bounce all over the place.

I don't know if the bounce did anything (maybe an old wives tail??..but some of them old wives were pretty smart about some things??). The bounce did make the place smell nice. The end story---not a mouse in two years, no odors --thee were none before. PO kept the trailer very clean. I never leave food in it. I do leave sticky type tunnel traps in all of the time.

The collector car parked right next to me has a pile of mouse turds on the front seat. I am not sure what I am doing that he is not but I still do not see or smell any mouse sign. Now if I can get rid of my first infestation of mice in my house in 18 years I will be very happy (so far between dogs and sticky traps I have 6 since last fall. Haven't seen one in over a month but I think they are just regrouping to improve tactics .

Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Has anyone figured out how the mice get into a trailer to begin with?

Seems the only points of ground contact are the tires, front jack and electical/water hook up lines.

Do they climb the tires and ingress through holes in the wheel wells or climb the power cord like rats onto a ship? Ships have big discs on the mooring lines to stop rats. Jumping mice??
Old 02-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
I have a fear of mice, eeek!
I'm subscribing to this thread, and sure am glad I came across it.

FYI: Mice can fit through holes the size of a nickel. They got very flexible bones, they can even get through cracks under doors.
Now I don't have much experience with a/s mice, I can't say much. But what I can say is I have worked in the restaurant industry for 15 years.
A big habit of mine, as well as the other people I work with, is to take the trash out to the dumpster right away. In the wintertime like this, it's not unusual to find the little buggers throwing a party under or around garbage containers.
Try to make sure you keep all food out of thier reach also. At home, I put things in tupperware containers (flour, sugar, pasta, open boxes of cereal). Sounds silly, but every little precaution helps.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
With a name like Lilmouse, I assume you know what you're talking about!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
glen ellyn , Illinois
Send a message via MSN to lilmouse Send a message via Yahoo to lilmouse
yeah, i'm a little person. i keep a step ladder in my a/s so i can get into the overhead compartments and turn on the overhead lights.
but i do lurk on and off the forums I visit like a quietlilmouse.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
I had mice in my Bambi last year....YUCK!

After that....I take everything not nailed down in it Home!
The dishes, pans...anything food will touch.
My bedding...everything!
I keep it all in some storage boxes at home all together ready for the next trip and take it back the day before.

I put out lots of Bounce sheets, sticky traps, and when plugged into a power supply I can use the Black and Decker mouse sonic deterrent.

Does anyone know if there is a 'battery' operated sonic deterrent?

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64

Seems the only points of ground contact are the tires, front jack and electical/water hook up lines.

Do they climb the tires and ingress through holes in the wheel wells or climb the power cord like rats onto a ship? Ships have big discs on the mooring lines to stop rats. Jumping mice??
Mice know the quality of Airstreams too.

On some models, they can enter through the front of the A-frame, underneath the top of the coupler.

That part of the A-frame goes back to the main frame, and could be open, within the underbelly.

The fix? Stuff some heavy steel wool into the frame opening underneath the coupler. You cannot see this unless your underneath the coupler.

On some older trailers, open up the rear hose or sewer hose compartment.

It should be solid frame frame to frame. If not, then that is another point of entry for mice.

Inspection of the complete underbelly should be done when mice are found. They can and do go through very small places or holes.

Andy
Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Come on now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64

What kind of kid were you? Haven't you heard of "Mighty Mouse"! They fly in of course! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Didn't you ever see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmouse
I have a fear of mice, eeek!
I'm subscribing to this thread, and sure am glad I came across it.

FYI: Mice can fit through holes the size of a nickel. They got very flexible bones, they can even get through cracks under doors.
Now I don't have much experience with a/s mice, I can't say much. But what I can say is I have worked in the restaurant industry for 15 years.
A big habit of mine, as well as the other people I work with, is to take the trash out to the dumpster right away. In the wintertime like this, it's not unusual to find the little buggers throwing a party under or around garbage containers.
Try to make sure you keep all food out of thier reach also. At home, I put things in tupperware containers (flour, sugar, pasta, open boxes of cereal). Sounds silly, but every little precaution helps.
From what I saw during my ill spent youth...... The Rocky and Bulwinkle Show had "Metal Munchin' Moon Mice"! That was many years ago so perhaps their tastes have changed to Aluminum!!! EEK! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Mice know the quality of Airstreams too.

On some models, they can enter through the front of the A-frame, underneath the top of the coupler.

That part of the A-frame goes back to the main frame, and could be open, within the underbelly.

The fix? Stuff some heavy steel wool into the frame opening underneath the coupler. You cannot see this unless your underneath the coupler.

On some older trailers, open up the rear hose or sewer hose compartment.

It should be solid frame frame to frame. If not, then that is another point of entry for mice.

Inspection of the complete underbelly should be done when mice are found. They can and do go through very small places or holes.

Andy
I had a major infestation last spring and they were getting in the open ended frame rail underneath the trailer tonque. It was a wide open superhighway into the trailer. I pumped it full of steel wool and expanding foam. I slept on the gaucho that night and all night long I could hear them outside still trying to get in that hole which they could no longer do. SATISFACTION!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
What kind of kid were you? Haven't you heard of "Mighty Mouse"! They fly in of course! Ed

But didn't you hear that FAA clipped their wings for flying too low over populated places.

Andy
Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Plugging holes and preventing entry is better than trapping. Trapping requires bait which in turn attracts mice. Of course if they are already indoors trapping must be done. Just traping could be a catch 22 {no pun intended} in that the more you trap the more you attract.----pieman
Old 02-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I set my traps up (not baited) just locked and loaded, about 2 months ago and so far no takers....a very good thing! I placed them against the walls seeing how mice like to follow the edges..hopefully they are not just going around and waving as they go bye. Still smells nice and minty as I did both mint oil and moth balls.

NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote