Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mice inside trailer

I have a 1990 32' Excella 1000. During the winter, mice get in and make nests under the sofa, in the bathroom under the sink, and elsewhere. Two questions: 1) How are they getting in?, and 2) What can I do to stop them? I live in Western Kentucky and the airstream resides in a barn with the 110AC on to keep the batteries charged. Thanks for any help.
longears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We live in Arizona and Have a place in the Mountains here where the mice like to find cozy spots for the winter. We have stored trailers here over the years and when 110v power is available we have used the electronic pest control devices with great success -- we have never had mice invade out trailer. In addition, we also store our Airstream in a location without 110v power. For this location I installed a 12v power receptacle just above our CO2/propane monitor. Power to this doesn't shut down when the kill switch is turned off -- this means the 12v power receptacle also has continuous power, where I can plug in a 9v adapter from Radio Shack (this is the voltage the electronic pest control uses). It works great. In order to ensure I don't run the battery down I added a small 5 watt, portable, solar panel I picked up at Harbor Freight for $38.00. I just wired a connector directly to the battery for this. The whole thing seems to work great. I don't have to worry about mice and the battery on the Bambi stays charged nicely.

02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Not to put off your question - but if you do a search on "Mice" you will see that this is an ongoing problem with many posts already covering the subject. Here is one that I started (because we too have the 'mousy" problem.

Mice

Since it sounds like you have your trailer close at hand - the best advice at this point is to get a lot of traps set (peanut butter is real good) and keep removing as they get caught. Some people use a variations of steel wool to plug holes, but mice can get in VERY small spaces. We are in the middle of trying to find all those in our trailer - meanwhile we add more traps to catch.

Anyway, use that search button for more on subject.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
longears,

follow your umbilical cord under the trailer, then look up! you may need to drop the spare tire to see the hole in the belly pan where the cord enters. on my trailer, it was certainly large enough for a whole herd of the vermin to enter. the cord opening has a rubber grommet that protects it from cutting on the belly skin, fill the remaining space with silicone (yes i said silicone!) this should stop most if not all invasions.

also, look carefully at all of the openings for the gas lines, airstream uses a type of plumbers putty to fill these holes. the putty dries out and pulls away from the skin and leaves quite large openings as well.

good luck with your pest problem!

john
Old 09-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Question

I've been told if you put dryer sheets into every and all storage areas and cabinets that it will deter them and leave the place smelling great. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
M&M - look at my post above - click on the MICE and you will see!!!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Get a Ketch-All Multiple Catch Mouse Trap.

The design and performance of the Ketch-All Mouse Trap is made from galvanized steel and has earned it the title of "The World's Best Mousetrap." The Ketch-All operates without the use of harmful chemicals, making it safe to use around children and pets. It is efficient, often capturing several mice in one setting! The Ketch-All has been winning the war against rodents since 1924. It works 24 hours a day, every day of the year. By following simple operating procedures, your Ketch-All will provide years of proven, practical performance. This Trap is great for the home or business.

You can bait it with peanut butter, set it and come back the next day and you may have caught the entire trailer population. It is a live trap so you will have to take it out to dump it somewhere. I use a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4 the way with water to dump out my rodents, but if you don't want to kill them then you can just release them somewhere away from your dwelling.

It's also great to leave in the trailer even if you don't think you have a mouse in there. It will prove you wright or wrong, just check it every other day at least.

You can do a search for them or buy one at Ebay, they run around 20 bucks each.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
I have been trying to eliminate mice in my A/S for the past week. They made their way inside in the past few weeks somehow. We have had a lot of rain in Florida this summer (as usual) which I suspect has contributed to attracting them. I have tried several different traps but they have avoided them all. The trailer is beginning to smell musty from their presence and the wife and kid wont go near it. Its really ashame because we may have to bug out this weekend due to the pending Hurricane and I cant even use the trailer.( Although I will take it with me, mice and all). I finally put D-Con in the trailer last night in a frantic move to get rid of them quickly. I am afraid that they may die somewhere that I cant find and thus smell up the trailer for months! What a mess! If anyone has other ideas please let us with rodents in on it!
newae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I use the electronic pest control, dryer sheets, posion, and traps - mice don't dare come near the trailer - it is also kept in a barn.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by newae
I have been trying to eliminate mice in my A/S for the past week. They made their way inside in the past few weeks somehow. We have had a lot of rain in Florida this summer (as usual) which I suspect has contributed to attracting them. I have tried several different traps but they have avoided them all. The trailer is beginning to smell musty from their presence and the wife and kid wont go near it. Its really ashame because we may have to bug out this weekend due to the pending Hurricane and I cant even use the trailer.( Although I will take it with me, mice and all). I finally put D-Con in the trailer last night in a frantic move to get rid of them quickly. I am afraid that they may die somewhere that I cant find and thus smell up the trailer for months! What a mess! If anyone has other ideas please let us with rodents in on it!
Well, on the bright side, they will only smell for a week or 2 most, but you might consider getting either a ketch all or the "Rat Trap 2000" which is a mouse trap that kills them by shocking them - no mess just have to dump the dead rodent out. Unfortunately it will only kill one then you have to dump him and reset it to get another,

The Ketch all is my choice because it will catch more than 1 a night if they are present. You can use peanut butter or cat food for bait, both work extremly well. You might even try both at the same time. If you decide on using either of the above traps they will work better if you can place them along a wall or behind something. Mice seem not to like to stay in open areas long and my just scamper past it.

John G
Old 09-11-2004, 11:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
Thanks, I will try the ketch all if the poison doesnt work. These critters have been pretty smart so far and I dont know if they will take the poison bait or not...
Old 09-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
An old Airstream trick

Put some peanut butter in a bucket of water, put a broom handle from the floor to the bucket (or other nice ramp) then as the mice proceed up to the bucket, they take dive, go swimming for a while, get tired and have a nice long rest. No limit to the number of mice you can catch that way. Mice stew???

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 09-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Blood meal folks, Blood meal. Put it thru out the unit on plastic ice cream container lids. If you don't have the lids , then you get to eat a lot of (Schwan's) ice cream. A win, win situation, except for the critters.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy
We live in Arizona and Have a place in the Mountains here where the mice like to find cozy spots for the winter. We have stored trailers here over the years and when 110v power is available we have used the electronic pest control devices with great success -- we have never had mice invade out trailer. In addition, we also store our Airstream in a location without 110v power. For this location I installed a 12v power receptacle just above our CO2/propane monitor. Power to this doesn't shut down when the kill switch is turned off -- this means the 12v power receptacle also has continuous power, where I can plug in a 9v adapter from Radio Shack (this is the voltage the electronic pest control uses). It works great. In order to ensure I don't run the battery down I added a small 5 watt, portable, solar panel I picked up at Harbor Freight for $38.00. I just wired a connector directly to the battery for this. The whole thing seems to work great. I don't have to worry about mice and the battery on the Bambi stays charged nicely.

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you. Dave, where did you buy your ultrasound unit?
longears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Mine came from camping world - works on elec and batt - although batt does not last very long
Rally
restoration rally
Old 09-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #16
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I don't remember exactly where we got the pest repeller as we had it for
several years. I just recently adapted it to run on 12v. The brand name is
Weitech and it is a model 3500 (1-800-343-2659). I'm not sure if they still
sell these or not. However, you should be able to find one that does. Just
look for a pest repeller that uses a power supply that converts from 110v to
6v, 9v, or 12v. I suspect that any pest repeller that uses a power supply
that plugs into the wall with a cord that plugs into the actual device will
work. Then go to Radio Shack and pick up a 12v adapter that will supply the
correct DC voltage. Be sure to take the original power supply with so you
can match the tip size for the Radio Shack adapter.
Hope this helps.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:31 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
rodent deterrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by longears
I have a 1990 32' Excella 1000. During the winter, mice get in and make nests under the sofa, in the bathroom under the sink, and elsewhere
For several years I have been bothered by chipmunks and other small rodents nesting and storing food in the engine compartment of my truck. A couple of months ago I learned about a product called "Fresh Cab" that comes in a packet that you hang on something. I tried one, putting it well out of the way of engine heat or sources of combustion. So far there is no evidence that the rodents are even interested anymore in their former favorite hideout. We are coming into the season of the big test as they look for places to overwinter.

Here is the description from the Pioneer Heritage website:
"The original FRESH CAB has a woodsy scent and made with corn cob chips is an excellent Moth Control and Rodent Deterrent.* Long lasting pleasant scents and safe for people providing a wonderful aromatic air freshener. While our special blends of indigenous prairie plants release a pleasing scent, ancient volcanic minerals absorb and trap unpleasant odors such as cigarette smoke, must, mildew and pet odors for up to three months."

The URL Is: http://www.pioneerheritageshoppe.com...erapygifts.htm

I plan to try them in my A/S this winter, if only to keep down the musty odor that seems to develop from being closed up.

Good luck!
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:24 PM   #18
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Question How many mouse threads do we need?

Nearly everything that has been mentioned here has been discussed on other threads. CoArgosy78 tried to steer folks to other threads but was ignored.
Why do we need umpteen threads on the same topic?
How hard is it to do a search on a topic that has been posted over and over again before starting yet another one?
Mouse: 101 threads
Mice: 85 threads
Rodents: 28 threads
Sorry to sound off but I fear that we are burying ourselves in redundancy.
Guess I better squeak outta here and take my meds.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Nearly everything that has been mentioned here has been discussed on other threads. CoArgosy78 tried to steer folks to other threads but was ignored.
Why do we need umpteen threads on the same topic?
How hard is it to do a search on a topic that has been posted over and over again before starting yet another one?
Mouse: 101 threads
Mice: 85 threads
Rodents: 28 threads
Sorry to sound off but I fear that we are burying ourselves in redundancy.
Guess I better squeak outta here and take my meds.
Rog,
You're right on the threads, but think of this - if everyone looked up old threads all the time and never asked we wouldn't have any redundancy to keep our forum interest alive. The rehash makes us all remember things too.

John G
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
Exactly, I suspect just about everything has been covered on this but you never know what new ideas will surface about a subject. If we didnt rehash, why have a forum.