Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Mattress replacements

Anyone have suggestion as to where I should buy replacement bed mattresses and cushions for Sofa's. All advice welcome. Thanks.
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
another thought

I have a very good futon at home and it's a higher end quality (9" mattress very well made & very comfortable). Seems like it would be an ideal solution based upon some other threads I'm reading. Does anyone know if an 80" Queen size fit inside the front couch area of a 1970's era (sovereign model). I don't know how wide and Airstream is inside????thanks.
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I went to a local mattress factory (not the company of that name) and had them fabricate new foam mattress' for our trailer out of six pound foam. We then "topped" them with memory foam from Overstock.com
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We have the same problem - 2004 22' Safari that we love for the small state campgrounds. Mattress is very funny shape with one corner rounded. I like the idea of cutting our own base foam and then a "topper". What type of foam should we use for the base mattress? There are so many types out there and the prices are crazy!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I bought an air mattress (similar to a Sleep Number bed) from Sleepbetterstore.com to replace my A/S inner-stone mattress and I love it. I bought a twin xl size and with some cutting back of the foam perimeter cushion in the rounded corner area I was able to get it to fit reasonably well, though I'm eventually going to build a plywood platform that supports it for the 2" or so that it hangs out into the aisle and raise it about 2" to be level with the nightstand. I also took down the lower curtain track around the bed for a better fit but all of my curtains are going away anyway because the elastic attach loops are rotten.

I still can't believe after 3 weeks how much better I'm sleeping and now when I wake up in the morning nothing hurts and it's been years since that was the case.

The day that I threw that A/S rock pile mattress in the dumpster was one of those major milestones in my life.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
I've just converted our unit from a twin to a full bed, and I ordered a custom made mattress with the 10" radius corners from a local mattress shop, I was surprised that is was only $535 inc. tax and I'm very happy with it. I would've cost over a grand to get one shipped directly from airstream.

Dan
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Smile Options

Have an 89 29' Exella that is a rear bedroom. It had a platform double bed. Too much wasted space, not enough bed for 2. I left the platform base and cut off the top of the nightstand to the height of the base. Covered the base with 1/2" BC plywood. I had made a cutout of 1'x2' area at the entrance to bedroom to leave space to exit bed with door closed. I made 1.5"x1.5" brackets out of aluminum stock that I positioned every 12" around exterior walls to support the plywood. I cut access ports in plywood bed platform to be able to gain access to the storage below platform frame. I then made a pattern of the new platform from cardboard (Refridgerator box from Lowes) and went to "The Original Matress Factory" and talked to the production Mgr. I explained what I wanted and he said they could not make the the inside cut at the door. He said he would do the best he could but would not make any guarantee. I gave him a green light (and my credit card) and hoped for the best. Came back 2 days later to pick up new matresses (2). They were foam mattresses. Although pricey They were "Perfect" including the door cut outs. My new bed is 6'9" long by 7'7" long. I am extremely pleased with the results. I have taken some pic's hope you can see them.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Cool

Pic's did not attach will try again.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We use extremely stuffed feather beds, and when you lay down in yours, you disappear!
My Grandmother and hill billy relatives used great big feather beds- one of my greatest childhood thoughts. I just kid about dis appearing .
But they WERE fluffy and fun. They are easy to take outside and air too.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Our "base" mattress is made from 6lb density foam. The 6lb is a bit too hard to sleep directly on. The "memory" foam topper from Overstock.com is 4.5lb density memory foam. Often the cheaper memory type foams will break down in a few years. By keeping the foams separate, we will be able to replace the topper while retaining the more expensive and sturdy mattress underneath.

As I remember, we paid around $400 for the two twin custom mattresses, then about another $100 for a "California King" mattress topper which I then cut to size using the new base mattress as a template.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
I have a very good futon at home and it's a higher end quality (9" mattress very well made & very comfortable). Seems like it would be an ideal solution based upon some other threads I'm reading. Does anyone know if an 80" Queen size fit inside the front couch area of a 1970's era (sovereign model). I don't know how wide and Airstream is inside????thanks.
Check out this Link.

Post #3

We used those measurements to cut our new cushions. We bought the foam at JoAnn's on sale. If yo go this route, I highly recommend a mattress topper unless you enjoy numb legs and arms....which reminds me, I need to add that to my wishlist!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We just ordered a replacement mattress from Verlo. American Locally Custom Made Quality Mattresses | Verlo Mattress Factory. They custom make any shape. It is an inner spring but they have all kinds of foam and practically anything you might want. We tested all the mattresses in the store to find one that we both liked. I called Bill Thomas RV in St. Louis for a recommendation on custom mattresses for Airstreams and he said that several customers had used Verlo successfully. Don't know how it will work, but anything is better than the original Bambi bed.

In addition, my husband took off the bed platform and added a sheet of insulation. He sandwiched the insulation between the original platform and a 1/4 inch custom cut piece of plywood. The idea is to help with condensation issues we have had under the bed. HOpefuly this will stop the cold air underneath from meeting the warm, heated air above. We can report back on how this will work. The theory is good, but it is yet to be tested.

And, yes, the mattress was expensive, but given how much we love the Bambi and how much we use her and how bad our backs and joints are--it may be priceless!

Good luck,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer Dan View Post
I've just converted our unit from a twin to a full bed, and I ordered a custom made mattress with the 10" radius corners from a local mattress shop, I was surprised that is was only $535 inc. tax and I'm very happy with it. I would've cost over a grand to get one shipped directly from airstream.

Dan
Dan,

I'm in Bothell! Was your converted twin in a center bedroom configuration? I'm thinking about doing that on my sovereign 31...

Thanks,
Leo

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We got a twin size futon mattress for our gaucho. Picked the pattern, ordered from a local shop. Fit perfectly!
For the twin beds, we got twin size ex long Tempurpedics that we found at Denver mattress. Someone had special ordered them and did not pick them up. Got agreat deal on them.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
We got a twin size futon mattress for our gaucho. Picked the pattern, ordered from a local shop. Fit perfectly!
For the twin beds, we got twin size ex long Tempurpedics that we found at Denver mattress. Someone had special ordered them and did not pick them up. Got agreat deal on them.
For the gaucho twin... does it fit perfectly with the unit pulled out, or perfectly with it pushed into place? Any pics?

Thanks!

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote