Old 01-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We added an Aero bed topper to our queen. It uses a pump arrangement and dual controls, much like our Select Comfort at home. Cost was about $100. It adds significant comfort to the factory mattress. I've seen lots of Aero beds but not the topper. I'm not sure if it's still in production.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Would also like to hear about the Tempurpedic for the A/S - Queen. Has absolutely been the best bed we've ever had at home. Heck, they say NASA developed it... I can see why those guys like to fly the shuttle... not a bad ride.
I never understood why NASA would need a mattress for a zero gravity enviroment...
Just wondering

Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing
Thanks! Maybe 2004 was a bad year for mattresses? Do you have any suggestions for where I can get a memory foam topper? And do I just trim it to fit the corners or is that even possible?

Anne in VA
This is where I got mine.
Yes, you can cut them with a razor knife.
Toppers are a good way to go. It gives you the feel without the weight of the full "Tempurpedic" - they are HEAVY!.

Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have Safari SS with two rounded corners on mattress. I had Custom Comfort in OC CA. make an innerspring replacement. They used the factory mattress as a template. I had no problem getting the innerspring mattress through the door and onto the bed.

And BTW the factory mattess was awful-sunk in and bottomed out after a night. All the cushions in the trailer use the same foam and have a slow sinking feeling till you hit bottom. The new mattress was a big upgrade. I may look into opening up the sofa cushions and replacing the foam with something better.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
We just purchased a 3" memory foam pad from and trimed the corners. It was $99 and it gives a excellent and very comfortable sleep. Every size is same price, so if need twins, just buy king and cut in half, otherwise buy queen. The mattress we covered with the memory foam is in excellent condition, just that is normal low end Airstream hard type type.
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2004 22' Safari
Canyon Country , California
I called Tempurpedic and had a mattress custom cut for my A/S was the best thing I have even done works like a champ. Make a templete of the shape and they charged $100 more to cut it to shape.
whurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Chula Vista , California
Who did you contact at Tempurpedic to get a mattress cut to size?

We're spoiled when it comes to a good night sleep and are considering the Tempurpedic topper, did you look into that before you purchased a custom mattress?

IrishRover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #22
2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Thanks for the mattress replacement advice

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread. Some great info and leads!

If I choose to go with the topper vs. replacement mattress, what's the recommended thickness?

Anne in VA
"Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads
weren't paved."
Ladylongwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The ebay store for mrs. foam used to show the recommendations. I believe it was up to 3" for back or side sleepers and up to 1 1/2" for stomach sleepers. We went with 1 1/2" and it was just enough to do the job - our mattress was pretty comfortable before - Airstream product from around 1990.

ON Edit here is the site information: Which topper thickness should be used?
Side and back sleepers would benefit from a 3”or 4”pad Back sleepers will benefit from a 3”or 4”pad Stomach sleepers should not use more than a 2”pad Sleep Systems
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
Refurbished 89 Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Any thoughts about if a "topper" will help resolve the dreaded sag in the middle of the mattress? Ours, a queen, has a definate sag and both people definately end up in the middle............
Also, ours is quite heavy and am wondering how heavy a therapeadic is......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member
chatham , Massachusetts
Ikea mattresses

I was just just in Ikea(the HUGE swedish warehouse style store)and noticed that they had many choices for foam mattresses in various degrees of firmness and as with everything that they sell, the price is right! They also have some very cool cabinet designs , made to order. Might be a good resource for cabinet doors for an AS redo.? Ikea offers a lot of style for very little money IMHO.
babendawoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
new mattress

I replaced my mattress on our 1979 28 ft Ambasador..It is like a temperpedic but a a great reduced price.. It is a standard double size.. We love it.. I got it from Merit Mart great prices...
paul dahl
paul dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
I have a Select Comfort with 4" of memory foam in our home and it is OK. When I was looking to repace the twin mattresses in our 78 Argosy I called around and found a dealer who sold Serta Perfict Sleepers with pillow tops @ $185.00 each. They are very comfortable and even though the width was @1-1/2" wider it was worth the loss of space. Most mattresses, unless custom made, will vary in size. I measured 5 different mattresses and got the two slimmest ones. I was just at Costco and they have the same twin on sale for @$125.00 each and Queen's for @$185.00.
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Original Mattress Factory

Original Mattress Factory makes custom mattresses - I believe they are pretty much located in the eastern part of the country.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote