Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Chula Vista , California
whurley,
Who did you contact at Tempurpedic to get a mattress cut to size?

We're spoiled when it comes to a good night sleep and are considering the Tempurpedic topper, did you look into that before you purchased a custom mattress?

Irish
IrishRover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #22
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Thanks for the mattress replacement advice

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread. Some great info and leads!

If I choose to go with the topper vs. replacement mattress, what's the recommended thickness?

Anne in VA
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The ebay store for mrs. foam used to show the recommendations. I believe it was up to 3" for back or side sleepers and up to 1 1/2" for stomach sleepers. We went with 1 1/2" and it was just enough to do the job - our mattress was pretty comfortable before - Airstream product from around 1990.

ON Edit here is the site information: Which topper thickness should be used?
Side and back sleepers would benefit from a 3”or 4”pad Back sleepers will benefit from a 3”or 4”pad Stomach sleepers should not use more than a 2”pad Sleep Systems
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Any thoughts about if a "topper" will help resolve the dreaded sag in the middle of the mattress? Ours, a queen, has a definate sag and both people definately end up in the middle............
Also, ours is quite heavy and am wondering how heavy a therapeadic is......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

chatham , Massachusetts
Ikea mattresses

I was just just in Ikea(the HUGE swedish warehouse style store)and noticed that they had many choices for foam mattresses in various degrees of firmness and as with everything that they sell, the price is right! They also have some very cool cabinet designs , made to order. Might be a good resource for cabinet doors for an AS redo.? Ikea offers a lot of style for very little money IMHO.
babendawoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
new mattress

I replaced my mattress on our 1979 28 ft Ambasador..It is like a temperpedic but a a great reduced price.. It is a standard double size.. We love it.. I got it from Merit Mart great prices...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
I have a Select Comfort with 4" of memory foam in our home and it is OK. When I was looking to repace the twin mattresses in our 78 Argosy I called around and found a dealer who sold Serta Perfict Sleepers with pillow tops @ $185.00 each. They are very comfortable and even though the width was @1-1/2" wider it was worth the loss of space. Most mattresses, unless custom made, will vary in size. I measured 5 different mattresses and got the two slimmest ones. I was just at Costco and they have the same twin on sale for @$125.00 each and Queen's for @$185.00.
John
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Original Mattress Factory

Original Mattress Factory makes custom mattresses - I believe they are pretty much located in the eastern part of the country.

Paula
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
I never understood why NASA would need a mattress for a zero gravity enviroment...
Just wondering

Yeah... it's the ride up there that gets to you!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Knox Foam

I user Know Foam Memory foam mattress, rv mattresses, memory foam pillows, memory foam, foam, bed wedge, bolster, pillow, bed wedge, leg wedge, rv mattress, cushion covers. for 3 mattresses and they are really nice and very inexpensive.
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #31

2008 23' International CCD
Reno , Nevada
Red face 2008 AS mattress

Like many others who have posted messages about their AS mattresses, we are not happy with the one that came in our 2008 International. But instead of it sagging, there's a pronounced "hump" down the middle from head to toe which is very uncomfortable, even with the 2" foam topper we thought would cure the problem. The dealer said that a few years ago, the mattresses sagged so badly that AS compensated by doing "something" to the newer ones. We tried two different ones on the lot, and they were all the same.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has put a sleep number mattress in their AS. Did you buy it from Bear Beds? Would you recommend them?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond to the various posts. It really is helpful.

Dottie Batchelor
Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #32
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Cool Maybe a Reason for the Hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batch
Like many others who have posted messages about their AS mattresses, we are not happy with the one that came in our 2008 International. But instead of it sagging, there's a pronounced "hump" down the middle from head to toe which is very uncomfortable, even with the 2" foam topper we thought would cure the problem. The dealer said that a few years ago, the mattresses sagged so badly that AS compensated by doing "something" to the newer ones. We tried two different ones on the lot, and they were all the same.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has put a sleep number mattress in their AS. Did you buy it from Bear Beds? Would you recommend them?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond to the various posts. It really is helpful.

Dottie Batchelor
We have a 2008 International 28 ft.

Our bed is a "walk around".

So far don't notice a hump in the middle, but notice that under the bed there is a support running head to toe. Maybe if the support is a tad too high it would cause the mattress to hump in the middle/

Just a thought.

SRW
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #33
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Thumbs up

Should add that we use a 2" memory foam topper and a quilted mattress cover over that.

Very comfortable - so far.

Also:

Heavy blankets annoy me so we use a new but, old style foam/flocked blanket (hotel type). Very warm and very light.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
We are spending about 70 nights in the A/S and found the walk around queen to be very uncomfortable. On the road and bought a 3 inch topper from sams club, memory foam and damn heavy. Quick fix on the road. My wife wants to rip out the entire back end and put in twins. Good for her but not for me?? It makes good common sense however regarding human traffic patterns. Really the queen with side cbinets is pretty but very difficult to live with.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #35
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
The Acid Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
We are spending about 70 nights in the A/S and found the walk around queen to be very uncomfortable. On the road and bought a 3 inch topper from sams club, memory foam and damn heavy. Quick fix on the road. My wife wants to rip out the entire back end and put in twins. Good for her but not for me?? It makes good common sense however regarding human traffic patterns. Really the queen with side cbinets is pretty but very difficult to live with.
Generally we do not spend more than a week in the AS at a stretch. Although, this summer at International in Bozeman it will be certainly be longer.

That will be the acid test for the mattress.

Should add that when its cold there are four in the bed - wife and I and our two cats.