Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
switz, the corner and cross beds are a bugger to make up in the conventional way. Cheryl has found a sheet and plush blanket with a pocket on the bottom to fit over the foot of the bed and help hold things in place. I've seen another Airstreamer who has used a Superbag system that amounts to a sleeping bag, sheets, with bedspread built in that looks like a conventional bed when made up.

http://www.rvsuperbag.com

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We had twin beds in our 2001 Safari 25 and again in our 2002 Classic 30 Slide to get the extra length. The Classic has replacement mattresses, custom made, but I don't remember by whom and the trailer is in storage so I can't look. We used the Sharper Image gel/memory foam toppers in both trailers but the topper on my side kept sliding to the center and we ended up taking them off. I wouldn't say the beds were awful, but they were not near the comfort level we have come to expect from our Sleep Number P5 mattress at home.

Periodically we have considered replacing the mattresses but never pulled the trigger. We considered Sleep Number, Rocky Mountain Mattress, and several other vendors but kept running into the wall of thinking we needed a custom size since the floor plan for both trailers said the mattress was 33x78. Sleep Number makes queen and king RV mattresses but doesn't make an RV twin. We thought we were going to have to buy Sleep Number Twins and have them cut down to the narrower size.

Big Surprise! We went over to the trailer this afternoon and measured the space where the beds are. Including the curved head of the bed area, it measures 38x90, which I think is big enough for a long twin Sleep Number mattress, leaving some space at the head rather than the space that is currently at the foot.

And the C2 mattresses are on sale, $200 off! The regular twin is $299 and the long twin is $399.

I read a bunch of reviews and came away with the conclusion that worst case a couple of inches of foam topper, which might be able to be zipped into the Sleep Number cover, would be close to being as comfortable as our P5 and certainly more comfortable than our current mattresses.

We went to the Sleep Number store tonight and checked out the C2 mattress. The only thing I noticed was it seemed softer when on my side than when on my back, probably due to the thinner foam layer. We pulled the trigger and ordered two.

I'll post in a week or so when they come in.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
New England , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrittan View Post
We live in our AS at least 6 months a year. One of us has "arthritic shoulder" and is having trouble sleeping without discomfort on the mattress supplied with our new AS. Our impression of the factory supplied mattress is that it is made of foam and is generally comfortable to sleep on for a period of time during which it gradually but permanently forms itself to our body shapes and does not recover during periods of non use. We have turned this mattress end to end and enjoyed for a short period comfort, which soon adopts our body shapes and does not recover. We are not able to comment on the quality of this mattress as we all know how difficult it is to judge a mattress which we did not choose ourselves. We are of average weight and height and are typical AS owners who appreciate the value of our wonderful travel trailers.
We are seeking your experience. We need your advice. Many of you have already lived through this challenge. You can help us decide. Buying a mattress that must be custom made is always a challenge as without the experiences of others there is no way for us to judge quality or comfort before we make a buy decision.
So share your experience with us. We promise never to complain after the fact. We can hardly wait to enjoy a painless nights sleep.
Thank you in advance!
Experts say a good mattress should be as research intensive as choosing a car. I often make sure that the mattress I buy should support my whole weight and doesn't kill my back. Inflatable is quite annoying simply because they move around a lot. Check this article which gives tips on how to select the right mattress according to your requirement http://www.surplusfurniture.com/blog...attress-set-2/. Do check for the best mattress brands in review sites. Bets wishes.
EdwardCharet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
annapolis , Maryland
Opinion on Froli Sleep system?

we currently have a 10'' memory foam mattress on each single.....we are considering installing the Froli System to help with our backs. Any one out there that can help us with this decision?? thanx Ron
ronboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardCharet View Post
Experts say a good mattress should be as research intensive as choosing a car. I often make sure that the mattress I buy should support my whole weight and doesn't kill my back. Inflatable is quite annoying simply because they move around a lot. Check this article which gives tips on how to select the right mattress according to your requirement http://www.surplusfurniture.com/blog...attress-set-2/. Do check for the best mattress brands in review sites. Bets wishes.
I haven't experienced our Sleep Number (an inflatable) "moving around a lot". I can't tell any difference between our P5's (we have two) and any other mattress we have had. The C2's we bought for the trailer may be a different story. The thing we like about the Sleep Number is the adjustability.

We have now bought three sets, one King, one Split King, and now the twins.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Great thread.

Anyone use a "Denver Mattress" and can share their experience?

We are looking for options to replace our short radiused Queen in our '16 FC 30 RB.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Mattress: Help Us Replace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Great thread.

We are looking for options to replace our short radiused Queen in our '16 FC 30 RB.

Well, here goes.

We bought a short Queen "Denver Mattress" today on sale with free delivery to our campsite for $499. Will post back with our thoughts in a few weeks.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-8-...RYSutC&vxp=mtr

I have purchased several mattresses from these fine folks and been extremely pleased with all of them. If I could not find the exact size I wanted I simply zipped off the cover trimmed the memory foam with a electric carving knife and resized the cover.
Before I discovered Maw and Paw Bargains I bought a $2500 Temporpedic. When you cover it with a sheet I can not tell the difference. Don't let the low price fool you they are very comfortable.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Mattress: Help Us Replace!

Quote:
Well, here goes.

We bought a short Queen "Denver Mattress" today on sale with free delivery to our campsite for $499. Will post back with our thoughts in a few weeks.

Early results are positive after one night.

This Denver Mattress is thicker (11" vs. 7") has three non-memory foam layers (vs. 2 memory foam), and did not have any smells while we aired out for an hour.

The stock Mattress felt like it compressed, then it felt like a rock. This one feels firmer and a bit more like a 'spring'.

We found that the fact it is not curved has been no problem getting around it in our 30 FC RB.

So far, so good.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #30
Living Riveted since 2013

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Great thread.

Waking this thread up to note that we bought the Denver 326391 Short Queen Size RV Supreme Euro Top Mattress with Radius Corners, in November of 2017. Looks great once it expands, and feels terrific when you sit or lie on it for a few minutes. Also seems very well made.

Unfortunately, after sleeping on it for a few months, we've found that while it is plenty thick enough to cushion against the plywood base, overall the mattress is too soft and offers little support. For example, two people sleeping on the mattress tend to roll toward each other as the mattress squishes down. Then, climbing out of this mattress in the morning is a chore. We literally have to roll uphill to the edge of the mattress to climb out over the slope that has formed between us and the edge of the bed.

We will be trying something else, ASAP, because this particular mattress is not doing the job. Our firm mattress recommendation is that folks find a way to lie on this particular mattress in a store somewhere for at least 30 minutes before deciding whether to buy it. If it works for you, awesome! Unfortunately, it most definitely does not work for us.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Buy two 8 inch memory foam twin mattresses from Walmart or Amazon. Have each mattress trimmed to fit one half of the bed platform. Place a two inch cooling gel pad on top of both and voila, a comfortable and affordable bed. We did this and bought one extra firm for me and a not so firm for wife. Less than $300 total. I sleep better in my AS than at home on a $3,000 Tempurpedic.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #32
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have bought bedding items from this company. http://www.ablifestyles.net/

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Amazon was kind enough to allow us to return the Denver Mattress. Their dedication to excellent customer service continues to be amazing. We’re going to pick up a sleep number R5 bed in Oregon next month. Until then, we’ll be camping in our camper, sleeping on our Therma-rest pads. Woot!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Heart Of , Texas
Bought our 2018 International Signature 28 RBQ a few months back and after one night sleep we knew we needed a new mattress. We ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just finished our seconded outing with the new mattress and found the mattress not giving or supporting as needed. Wife and I sleep on our side. This mattress does nothing for our pressure points; shoulders and hips. So another mattress maybe on our list. Looking at the following as candidates:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/luxu...mory-foam.html

https://www.amazon.com/NECTAR-Queen-...mattress&psc=1

2020 Classic 33 FTB
2019 Ford F250
Blue Ox Hitch
KBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the "features" of the mattress in the modern Classic's is that it has two thicknesses. It's thinner over the "head raise" part of the bed. I suspect that's going to make finding replacements a bit tough .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote